Author Topic: Fairless High QB Hunter Wells (2014) commits to YSU  (Read 77535 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: Fairless High QB Hunter Wells (2014) commits to YSU
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2013, 12:24:29 PM »
Yes, I look forward to a conversation  in the future as well, Fever. I've made my comments. People will get to see him live in the playoffs and should he come to YSU, they'll see him first hand everyday. Then  my judgement can be viewed openly. There are a number of sites with film on Wells. If you see them , let me  point out some obvious problems -- first , he doesn't throw a "rope". He throws "rainbows". That's a dead giveaway to lack of arm strength. Next, look at the distance or pattern that he throws to. Short. Then there is the question of accuracy and ball placement shows up well in that. And last but not least, the "quality" of competition also sticks out ( and the lack of speed). Must not forget these films are "highlites", the "best he has". Given the speed at this level ( both of the rush, which he hasn't seen and the DBs closing speed), I expect him to be in trouble early on in the adjustment. He'll be red-shirted. At least two current YSU QBs ( Wargo & Davis) I would judge to be better than  him and neither is nowhere near being a back-up here  much less the starter .

Now. lets address the recruiting here. Its no secret that Wolf has recruited a QB or two EVERY YEAR he has been here. They have been looking for a needle in a haystack annually.  He has yet to find a replacement for the current starter. Oops, take that back. He  HAD the replacement for Hess but didn't play him ( Angle) , so the kid transferred out after last season. At last glance , he is the Captain and immediate starter at Ohio Northern and threw for 233 yds and 3 TDs on 17 of 24 last Saturday. However, since he isn't around, I'm going to chuckle when your boy fails to beat out the current backup who is a 6' former Wing T H.S. QB from W. Pa. they tried to convert to a Safety this year. YSU has the problem that none  ( including your incoming boy) of their QBs are D-I starters and will be at a serious  disadvantage on O next year. But then, no one has to take my word for it........ the peanut gallery will get to see it first hand. There will be a serious problem at QB here next year.

Then I'll get to come back on here and tell you I told you first what was going to happen

BTW, I'm aware that several schools looked at Wells but none offered EXCEPT YSU. Wells quickly accepted his only offer. Can't blame him for wanting a free education. I hope he is successful in that endeavor. But really........ lets review...... a RECORD setting QB.......... from STARK COUNTY.............and he has a scholarship  to YSU ?   People recruit Ohio heavily. Not a MAC school ? Not a CUSA ? Not the Big 10 ? YSU must be getting a "steal" ?

Where have I heard that before ?  8)

Offline StarkFootballFanatic

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 12:24:28 AM »
Last week, 22 of 29 for 428 yards 4tds 1int

Offline batty1515

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 09:15:12 AM »
On the year he is 159/242(almost 66%) 2383 23tds and 5 ints!  Has his team at 6-1 and looking at possibly making playoffs  for only 2nd time in school history! Ray Jeske 990 am Radio said he was the best pro-typical qb in stark county and one of the best small school QBs he can remember, and ask the audience to make an argument for a better one and got no calls!  He gained almost 20 lbs between his Jr. and Sr year, I agree that redshirting him may be in his and YSU best interest, but the kid can make all the throws. I saw him at Toledo and BGSU satellite camps in stark county and was one of 2 QBs that could make the 15 yard out throw from the opposite hash while rolling out to the left......"the throw" all college coaches want to see if a QB can make!
I have had some communication with people who are semi associated with Fairless (stark county football) and know Hunter personally and this year he has left college visits to MAC schools go bye, and has already attended 2 YSU games, and is is most likely going to the game this weekend vs Western Illinois.  If he continues with the season he has started there is no doubt that other offers will probably come!  I heard he could have been a preferred walk on at BGSU, earning this status while at a satellite camp at Massillon, and that was before the season he is having now! 

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2013, 05:17:28 PM »
Don't look now but the  "future" QB just lost his 3rd D-IV game. Like I said, wasted scholly.

Offline batty1515

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »
Don't look now but your future QB was just named NE Inland District Offensive Player of the Year; ahead of Ursaline's Chris Durkin (Michigan St.)!  He was also voted as Stark County Player of the Year by the coaches!  Was voted as WTIG area Offensive Player of the Year!  Broke the Stark County single season passing  record with  3,558 yards (62% completion), and rewrote the Stark County career passing record with 8,348 yards which places him 13th all time in the state of Ohio! He led his team to the playoffs and first playoff win in school history!  If your worried about him because went to a small high school,  pretty sure the Kurt Hess was small school (Chaminade-Julienne D-4), and Hess had good high school stats, but not Wells stats! Is this kid a day 1 starter, probably not, but I believe he will have an impact on the YSU football program in the future!  Coach Montgomery was guest speaker at Stark County Player of the Year Banquet, Coincident....maybe, maybe not!  Paladin I just don't understand why your so down on this kid! How about we have a little trust in YSU coaching staff a give the kid a chance to prove himself before we start judging!

First Team All-OHIO Quarterback     http://fridaynightohio.com/portal/news/1389/Four_areas_players_named_All-Ohio_in_Division_III-V/

http://www.fridaynightohio.com/portal/news/1283/McKinley_LB_Jamal_Davis_II_and_Fairless_QB_Hunter_Wells_lead_local_honorees_on_inland_district_team/

http://www.fridaynightohio.com/portal/news/1340/Hunter_Wells_of_Fairless_is_The_Repository_Stark_County_Football_Player_of_the_Year/

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:44:42 PM by batty1515 »

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »
Batty -- lets be clear, Durkin will never play QB at Mich. St. Isn't that good. Neither is your boy. WE get all kinds of All-Everythings here, as do most colleges.  Your boy didn't go far in the playoffs did he ? I've made a cold calculating evaluation of your boy. I've given my opinion. Now set back and watch. I beiieve that a D-V player playing average competition will be handled by big ,fast, and talented players  at this level because of previously IDed abilities.

Nice small H.S. player. D-I college player ? I have my doubts.

Offline PantherNation

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2014, 06:39:46 PM »
I have had the opportunity to play against Hunter Wells three times in my career.  Regrading his ability, I am beyond surprised that he is going to a D-1 school.  He is petrified to take a hit.  He gets happy feet in the pocket with pressure.  Also, he has a very weak arm.  He was picked off four times against us this year, and on each interception, the ball was further than 20 yards down the field.  He is not mobile either.  This kid is going to sit four years on this bench. 

Offline batty1515

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 06:01:23 PM »
   You must have forgot about the 4 TDs and 380 yards he had in the win against you this year at Fairless!  Two of them within the last six minutes!  The last TD to tie up the game, came on drive that started with 1:28 and almost 80 yards to go, and no timeouts! Both of his 4th quarter touchdowns were made possible by his ability to make a defender miss and extend the play. He is definitely not a dual threat QB, and from a article in the paper this year he will be the first to admit that to you.   I'm pretty sure that the coaches at all the camps he went to the past two years were able to see his arm strength and evaluate it accordingly! As far as his mobility, week 4 at Triway he got a severe high ankle sprain that took almost 6 weeks to completely heal, so yeah he probably was more mobile the year before!
 Download File:attachments_2014_02_05.zip
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:31:50 AM by batty1515 »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 08:25:57 PM »
I have to trust that Coach Montgomery knows what QB can play in his system, Did he not coach..Charlie Frye and Big Ben.  The kid dominated in his divison.  As for the classless Panther player...this Qb beat your school for the first time in 28 years.  So if he stunk..what does that say about you....it comes down to how hard this kid works and he already has shown his meddle by helping and turning a mediocre football program around. Pally isnt always right ....on this one I have a hunch he is wrong...just because a kid is a small school or non parochial school athlete doesnt mean he cant compete.   YSU had a guy named Brungard....the rest is history.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline PantherNation

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2014, 09:17:53 AM »
From this "classless" Manchester player, Hunter Well's performance against us in their win was clutch.  I will say two scoring drives late in forth quarter rallied their team to beat us in 3 OT.  I believe he does have leadership.  I was unaware of the ankle sprain against Triway, so I his movement was actually pretty decent for having a sprain.  Either way, he is a pocket passing quarterback.  I will admit, when I wrote the original post, I was heated at the time.  However, I still do not think he has the arm strength for D-1 football and cannot take a hit.  I guess we will see how he plays.  I pretty sure we beat them too, when it mattered in the playoffs, and held him to seven points.