Author Topic: MBB: Kyle Steward commits  (Read 4922 times)

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
MBB: Kyle Steward commits
« on: April 25, 2013, 12:04:39 PM »
Kyle Steward commits to YSU, per his twitter account.  Steward is 6-7 out of Detroit, had an offer from Cleveland State.  - Go Penguins.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: MBB: Kyle Steward commits
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 12:54:36 PM »
one has to think Steve Hall is to credit with this get.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 01:56:27 PM »
Steward is from Detroit Cass Teach.  Hall is an alum of Cass Tech. 

This has probably been posted before, but here is a highlight clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsIADo6_atw

An interview is here

http://metrodetroithighschoolathletics.net/2013/01/09/interview-with-cass-techs-kyle-steward/

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 02:31:09 PM »
Unless someone transfers out of the program, we believe this fills up the 13 scholarships for next year.

From watching the film and reading, it seems Steward, while playing some post, probably isn't going to log heavy minutes under the basket next year.

The three incoming recruits are all freshmen - I cannot recall the last time YSU did not sign at least one Juco player.  I take that as a good sign that the program is stabilizing and the team has some talent on the roster - the coaches don't see a need for a quick fix.

I love making inroads in Detroit - one of the great high school basketball cities.  Horizon League teams that recruit Chicago, Indy and Detroit can do quite well with a primary focus on those cities.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 06:56:13 AM »
 By JOHN VARGO - Tribune Chronicle (jvargo@tribtoday.com) , Tribune Chronicle 

The Youngstown State University men's basketball team seems to have filled its final scholarship of the 2013-14 season on Thursday.

Kyle Steward, a 6-foot-7, 195-pound senior shrugged off offers from Cleveland State, Missouri-Kansas City and Jacksonville for YSU, according to Steward's Twitter account.

"I Have Committed To Youngstown State University #YSU," the 6-7 small forward from Cass High School in Detroit said.

He has verbally committed, but has not officially signed. Coach Jerry Slocum cannot comment until Steward signs, per NCAA rules.

The versatile forward, from his highlight tape, is dominant around the basket and able to quickly slice through defenses. In addition, he has solid mid-range jumper and doesn't hesitate to shoot the 3.

Steward had a putback buzzer-beater on Feb. 12 as Cass Tech beat Detroit Southeastern, 61-60.

In addition, YSU assistant coach Steve Hall is a Cass Tech graduate.

Steward isn't the only Detroit-area native to sign with YSU. Last week, the Penguins inked Jalon Plummer, a 6-4 guard from Belleville, Mich., located between Ann Arbor and Detroit. He had 29 points and 12 rebounds in the win.

Plummer, against Birmingham Detroit Country Day, was 5 of 7 from 3-point range and had 24 points and 10 rebounds in a win over Birmingham Detroit Country Day.

Plummer averaged 11 points and six rebounds for the Michigan Class A school that won the state title with a 27-1 mark.

In November, YSU signed its third recruit - 5-9 point guard Marcus Keene from San Antonio, Texas.

Keene averaged 25 points per game his senior season for Warren High School.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »
A recent scouting report on Steward

Strengths:
Steward is a long wiry wing that excels in transition. He finishes with his length when he uses his nice handle to get to the rim on the break and when he slashes between defenders in the half court where he does a good job of drawing fouls. Steward is a good rebounder as well in and out of area. Steward can grab the board and lead the break along with getting a timely put back on the offensive end of the floor.

Weaknesses:
To increase his production Steward must be more aggressive and play more physical in addition to adding strength will help him finish better at the rim in heavy traffic. Steward must also increase his shooting range.

Bottom Line:
Steward is a long slashing wing that scores and rebounds on both ends with his length and ball skills. He must add strength, extend his shooting range and become more aggressive but has great upside.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »
I think he needs to sign the LOI before we get our hopes up.  What is the hold up with his signing?  He only did a verbal. 

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:40:37 PM »
don't worry.  a verbal is more solid in basketball than in football and guys giving a verbal and not signing right away is pretty common in hoops.  He's got till May 15th.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »
Steward has signed the LOI

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/mbkb/2012-13/releases/20130501kq1516

Youngstown – The Youngstown State men's basketball program signed Kyle Steward (Detroit, Mich./Cass Tech) to a National Letter of Intent, Head Coach Jerry Slocum announced on Thursday. Steward joins Marcus Keene (San Antonio, Texas) and Jalon Plummer (Belleville, Mich.) in the 2013-14 recruiting class.

Versatility and athleticism were two attributes that Slocum liked in Steward.

"Kyle brings size and athleticism to our program" Slocum said. "He can stretch the defense with his ability to shoot the ball from the perimeter, but he also has a good inside game. We're excited to have him join our program. Kyle has great potential and his best basketball is ahead of him."

A 6-foot-7 forward, Steward averaged 14 points, eight rebounds and three assists per game and helped Cass Tech to a 19-4 record to clinch the PSL West Division Championship in 2012-13. He also averaged 12 points and seven rebounds at Detroit Crockett High School during his junior season.

"I felt like Youngstown State was a good fit for me," Steward said. "I had a great visit to campus and the coaches and players made me feel at home. YSU is also a school that is not that far from home so my family will be able to see me play."

Youngstown State concluded the 2012-13 season with an 18-16 record and earned a berth to the CollegeInsider.com Tournament – the first Division I postseason tournament in school history. The Penguins also finished with a 7-9 mark in Horizon League play.