Author Topic: Has anyone been to spring practice?  (Read 2973 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Has anyone been to spring practice?
« on: April 05, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »
So what do they look like?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone been to spring practice?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »
I was down one day. I was impressed with the D-Line. Very fast and athletic on the edge and they have the 300 pound juco in the middle. He made some nice plays. They moved Disher to TE. Williams and Bryan were doing their regular thing at WR but one guy who surprised me was Marcel Caver. He's a tall skinny WR but he is FAST. He was burning some of the corners and making some good plays. Peterman and Childs at corner have gotten better just by being able to read plays better, you can definitely see that. When I was there, they had D'Alesio and the redshirt freshman Jameel Smith back at safety but I know Josh Garner is also in the mix. Overall pretty good

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Has anyone been to spring practice?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »
Vindy:

Back at backup: After spending the first seven practices at safety, sophomore Dante Nania moved back to QB on Thursday and was Kurt Hess’ primary backup in Saturday’s scrimmage, completing 4 of 6 passes for 28 yards. “Dante’s done well,” YSU coach Eric Wolford said. “It was a good move putting him back at quarterback. He’s got a stronger arm. I think a lot of times confidence goes along with that. Coach [Shane] Montgomery and I were talking just yesterday that it just seemed like he’s a year older and more mature. He doesn’t get rattled as easy. He went right back over [to offense] and still has a good grasp of the offense.” Third-stringer Nick Wargo, a redshirt freshman, was 3 of 4 for 31 yards and a TD. Hess completed 4 of 10 for 56 yards and a TD. Sophomore WR Marcel Caver continued his strong spring with three catches for 32 yards and a TD and Michael Wheary had four catches for 37 yards and a nice TD catch at the end of practice.

Smith stepping up: Redshirt freshman Jameel Smith has emerged as the starting free safety, with junior Donald D’Alesio moving to strong safety. “He’s a smart kid and he’s picking up the defense really well,” D’Alesio said. “I’m helping out a little bit when he doesn’t know but he’s learning everything and he’s a good athlete. Hopefully he’ll continue to pick it up and get better.”

Picking it up: Sophomore linebacker Dubem Nwadiogbu had two interceptions, D’Alesio had one and Josh Garner returned an interception for a touchdown during the scrimmage. The Penguins would have had five picks, but linebacker Ali Cheaib dropped a high floater that bounced off TE Nate Adam’s hands. “Of course he had an excuse,” Wolford said. “He said, ‘I thought I was gonna run into Jameel Smith.’” When D’Alesio was asked about the drop, he smiled and said, “Ah, that kid. I’ll get on him later in the locker room.”

Joe Scalzo