Author Topic: UWGB assistant Barnes leaving for Youngstown St. coaching post  (Read 3559 times)

Lets_Talk

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130404/GPG020101/130404072/Women-s-basketball-UWGB-assistant-Barnes-leaving-Youngstown-State

Best of success to John Barnes. Seems like a good fit. Only time will tell if he can turn his success as a D2 HC and top assistant at GB into success as an HC at YSU.

The team has some talented players coming back next season, including a few players that sat out this year as transfers. As with any coaching change, will also be interesting to see if any players leave the program.

This hire bodes well for YSU, and I doubt someone with Barnes background would have seriously considered YSU 4 years ago.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: UWGB assistant Barnes leaving for Youngstown St. coaching post
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 09:29:06 AM »
Good hire!!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »
Successful D2 head coach and a D1 assistant at good programs.  Knows the area well.  Seems like a great hire.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »
I guess this has now become official.  I'm happy and frankly stunned that we were able to secure a coach with this pedigree.  It is a clear message that we are serious about women's hoops and have no intention of allowing the program to erode again.  Great job by Strollo (and you know I rarely put those words together in the same sentence.)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »
I have been hard on the AD in the past, but I am impressed with this hire. You never know how things play out but it sure looks like a great hire.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 09:45:44 AM »
I agree. If I could be blunt? I was highly-disappointed that our former coach left for OU and considered it a true embarrassment ...one that would kill our chances of a solid follow-up hire. Looks like I am glad to be wrong again.