Author Topic: Green Bay Press Gazette:UIC to MVC, Oakland to Horizon  (Read 3066 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Green Bay Press Gazette:UIC to MVC, Oakland to Horizon
« on: April 04, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »
Rob Demovsky also reporting a loyola and Valpo could go to Valley and Denver and UMKC are possible for Horizon.  I am out of country and cannot link story.  Perhaps someone can find the story and post a link.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Green Bay Press Gazette:UIC to MVC, Oakland to Horizon
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 10:05:13 PM »
It has to be UIC or YSU, as they do not want a successful program in MBB, and with UIC they gain the VB, gymnastics, and baseball that they lose with Creighton leaving. We do not have enough success, but I really think it is a dumb move for anyone in the HL, other than UIC. The only reason we have a small consideration is because of a football relationship, I am sorry, but the MVC is not really a move up for most any HL team. I think even UIC is foolish, as they lose affiliation with their Chicago buddies. There is always ORU, but they stand to dominate baseball and MBB in the SoCon, with automatic bids and lower travel ...why leave? It is no longer a minority conference.

Oakland to HL is a given. UMKC was rumored to the HL. ETSU is moving as well, with the addition of football this year ...not sure, but rumors say HL or OVC (my bet is they are independent in I-AA, go straight to IA in the new sun belt). Chicago State is also rumored to HL.

Lets_Talk

Re: Green Bay Press Gazette:UIC to MVC, Oakland to Horizon
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:28:00 AM »
Indy, here is a link to the article by Rob Demovsky.
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130404/GPG020110/130404032/More-changes-coming-Horizon-League

I was reading the Valpo boards, and there seem to be a number of conflicting reports as to who other than UIC might be going to the MVC. Loyola and Valpo were also visited this week, and it is rumored they may be invited to the MVC.

There is a FOX affiliate near Detroit denying that Oakland is moving to the HL
http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sports/college/oakland-comments-on-horizon-league

As far as basketball, for the HL to lose Butler and then Valpo would be a major blow. Not really sure what the MVS see's in either UIC or Loyola? Yes, they bring the Chicago TV Market, and Loyola has mae major upgrades to their facilities. But, both schools are an afterthought in Chicago. As many people know, Chicago is first and foremost a PRO SPORTS TOWN. And, as for college's, there is DePaul in The Big East and Northwestern in the BIG whatever it is, not too mention Notre Dame and Illinois.

HL is in jeopardy of turning into a Summit/ Mid Con type of conference, especially if Valpo also ends up in the MVC.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:06:45 AM by Lets_Talk »