Author Topic: What happened to the students?  (Read 4575 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
What happened to the students?
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »
Was it me or did the student body decide that basketball games aren't worth the time.  The three games i attended there were very few in attendance. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to the students?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:10:56 PM »
Was it me or did the student body decide that basketball games aren't worth the time.  The three games i attended there were very few in attendance.

That's what happens when your mainly a commuter school

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:12:23 PM »
We are certainly primarily a commuter school, but there is a substantial colony of about 3,000 students that now live on or next to campus in dormitories and apartments.  These students probably don't work as much as our commuters, and thus might be free to patronize university events.  But it is perfectly obvious that they have little desire to drift inside Beeghly Center.

Why?  Who really knows?  I could speculate and offer these reasons.  First, they are like so many folks in the Mahoning Valley that have little interest in basketball.  Second, except for one or two special events each year, athletic marketing makes no attempt whatsoever to lure them into the gym.  Third, we had been so bad in basketball for so long that campus groups and organizations have no history of going to basketball games as the first stop on an evening of entertainment.  A lot of that actually took place during the Covington years of the 1970s and the Rice years of the early 1980s.

Offline southbeach

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:29:04 AM »
Very few of those students go football games also.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 03:08:47 PM »
Blame the marketing department

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 05:42:46 AM »
I have never understood the lack of involvemnet from the students.  To expand on Wick's comments, I am one of the people that doesn't follow basketball.  I do, however, watch the tournament in march, but if I miss a few games or miss a few rounds......no big deal.  I don't record the games.

Perhaps I would be interested in watching more basketball if I felt that the team had a legitimate chance of making the tournament.  It seems that something always happens and we end up in the middle of the pack at best. 

As I have stated before, football is the only sport that matters to me.  I could care less about all other sports to be honest.  It is not a slam on any of our athletes or anything, just the best college spectator sport IMOP and a sport that defines our athletic program, university, and region.  Plus, there aren't a million games like so many other sports so every game counts too.

In addition, basketball games happen at 7 o'clock on Tuesday nights in February.  I rather drink wine at home.  When I was in college, I was more into drinking wine with the ladies if you get my drift.

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »
Just because there are teams on a campus doesn't mean kids will "just come".   One of many things that continues to confuse me about YSU is the insistence that people must by a product and be loyal to it, with that product never having to better itself.  And before we start with the statistically based arguments,  "good enough for mid-major"  is not an excuse anymore.  If there is no movement to progress past mid-major, no one will buy.