Author Topic: National Letter of Intent Day!!!!  (Read 8218 times)

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
National Letter of Intent Day!!!!
« on: February 05, 2013, 09:38:56 AM »
What is the general consensus as to what will happen with the football signings?  As an outsider, it sure seems like things have been pretty quiet this year (compared to years past).  I know that there are probably less scholarships available to this particular class but...  we need to have a great class coming in here.  Thoughts?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: National Letter of Intent Day!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
I am hoping for a rather quiet year. If we sign too many, that would indicate we had too many player losses. I also think that the media does a good job of reporting local signings, and people on this board do a great job of finding these.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:57:41 AM »
I also like the success we have had with late signings in the past. Look at players like Cook and Hess. They had offers fall-through from larger schools and we were able to get them. If you try to compete with the "big-boys", you had better be a big boy. We are losing players to MAC schools, so we are not a "Player". This also leaves scholarships opened for transfers. Guys like Sharbaugh.

Clearly you have to continue to hit your regular HS/prep stops so they know who you are, but that is all at this point.

Seeing a QB come this year concerns me ...who did we lose? Also, I am not seeing enough linemen, and it does look like we are looking for a TB. Lots of coverage guys ...which we are in excess of right now. I am not saying they are the guys we want ...but scholarships are scholarships You have to stand behind your word or no one will come here.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 11:05:18 AM »
This has to be the weakest batch of local high school seniors in memory.  A handful of 'big time" studs but few second level players that could help us.  That accounts for the lack of info.  Wolford was forced to go well beyond the Valley this year, and we just don't know anything about the players he has recruited.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:33:02 PM »
We had a lot of lineman last year and they redshirted so we should be good there. We have a couple OL signings this year. D Line was taken care of when the JUCOs signed and the kicker situation is set. We have a lot of QBs coming in because Hess is gone after this year and we will have some compettition for the spot next yr. TB will be a question mark. Is Braylon Heard coming here? If not, does Hymes or Bellamy start? We are set at WR and TE. We signed some LBs to give us depth and the secondary is good. Overall Wolf has really upgraded the talent. Hopefully this yr it comes together

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 04:11:26 PM »
I give Wolf props for his treatment of the mentality of recruits, and his looking for local products. However, we had both of his predecessors try to do the same, and end up going the same way at the end. When Coach T was here, the local recruits were excited about building a program that was going to the MAC. Since I think that is the direction we are going, I would expect we could do the same now. Also the level of local HS players was so much higher in the 80's & 90's then it is now. We can travel now, and recruit upper-tier talent.

YSU still has an enormous reputation nationally, and it only makes sense to recruit as such. There is not a place you can go, that knows FB, that does not recognize YSU. I told the story before about how we were treated at the Texas regional in baseball. Those fans considered our FB program to be first-rate ...new about all the coaches that had spent time here, and knew the area as a place to recruit top prep talent. I still think that much of that reputation is in tact.

Something else we could do is change our style of play. Coach T was smart. He built an option-based team, at the time IA schools (even the Big-8) were dropping the option. As a result we were able to bring in some of the nation's top players that could not find a home (i.e.: Ray Isaac) in the then-new pro-set offenses. Kurt Hess is an example of the opposite. He was a pro-set recruit in an area with option teams ...cinci, louisville, UK, OU. Coach M offers him a chance to excel, and I do not think he would have that anywhere else. He is going to have a shot at the next-level.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:16:01 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 04:56:16 PM »
There is just not a lot of talent in this area right now.... It's WAY down from past years. That was evident by no teams winning a state championship, including Ursuline or Mooney. As wolf said this are is way way over recruited

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 06:23:32 PM »
Tress always took an excess of quarterbacks.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 08:04:49 AM »
Since Wolf got here all we've heard is how wonderful his recruiting is?! All we've seen is "paper tigers"  :o 

I don't give a rats ass about the recruiting anymore. I want to see the run for another championship and "W"s  ::) It's TIME!!  ;)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »
We cannot depend just on the "Valley" for talent.  Look at who signed letters of intent yesterday.  Only 6-7 went to BCS and 2 to YSU.  The rest of them went to D2/3.  YSU has to go national with recruiting like all others schools do.  The talent in the 50 mile radius has dramatically gone down.  Beside Mooney or Ursuline who is really good?  Nobody.  The area has seen its prime come and go and will continue to decline in talent.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »
You are so right Pride. I will take that one-step further and say, that Mooney & Ursuline are not producing DI material either. We need to the larger local high schools to see a resurgence ...Fitch, Boardman, Harding, etc. This is where you get larger college talent. That Heard is a perfect example.

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 11:44:03 AM »
As a community it would do Youngstown some good to stop interjecting Jim Tressel's name every chance they get when dealing with football and athletics.  I know this is a hang-able offense in Youngstown but it needs to be said.  Great guy, great coach that did wonders for the area and it was great while it lasted.  But here's the truth, Tressel is gone, hes not coming back, and if he did it wouldn't be the same, as the circumstances surrounding his success have changed DRASTICALLY.  I'm quite sure Jim Tressel did not, and does not, donate what he donates to YSU simply so it can say "boy when Tress was here..."  He wants it to move on and surpass what he did!! It's imperative that it does and it is quite possible! Tressel's Legacy needs to be put in the rafters and then forgotten only to be looked on by future teams as a source of pride not longing.  The way Tressel did it, simply WILL NOT get it done now.  The sooner the community embraces that, the sooner it moves on, and the sooner it begins to win again.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 12:06:18 PM »
Interesting story from the Philly Daily News about the lack of Division I football talent in Pennsylvania as well as frank discussions about why.  I suspect many coaches in the Valley will tell you the same applies here

http://articles.philly.com/2013-02-07/news/36952221_1_high-school-football-coal-region-division-i-prospects

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 07:31:07 AM »
This has to be the weakest batch of local high school seniors in memory.  A handful of 'big time" studs but few second level players that could help us.  That accounts for the lack of info.  Wolford was forced to go well beyond the Valley this year, and we just don't know anything about the players he has recruited.

Yup, down year locally
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!