Author Topic: Men's Basketball vs. Detroit - Thursday January 10  (Read 13790 times)

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's Basketball vs. Detroit - Thursday January 10
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 09:22:12 AM »
You almost expect to play a clunker like this on the road once a season, but to do it at home is very disappointing.  Need to bounce back, and win both Wisconsin games.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 10:36:08 AM »
Complete meltdown. Ugly

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 10:54:22 AM »
We are trapped in a never-ending, vicious cycle.  To improve the basketball program, we need more money.  The only feasible way to acquire more revenue is to expand the fan base.  Each year, just as the team starts to look somewhat interesting, Slocum gets massacred AT HOME by a quality team.  Fans then shrug, ignore basketball until next year, and the revenue evaporates.  That act will be especially devastating this year since the massacre happened at the first home game.  After the travesty of last evening, the athletic department will now expect casual fans to drive to campus, pay five bucks to park, and then shell out $12 for a general admission ticket to watch this team play a sport that they don't really care about that much.  Good luck with that.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 10:35:32 AM »
CSU beats Detroit.  That is not good for the Penguins

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »
They have a coach and a team that knows what it takes to protect their home court.  Apparently, from our coaches comments, our team plays soft at home.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 11:11:10 PM »
Wondering if any of you bridge jumpers (Husky, Morton, Goodnews, etc.) are interested in jumping back ON the bandwagon?

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 11:29:47 PM »
Got news for you!  I've been on the bandwagon since the beginning of the season.  However, I have to call as I see it.  We got thoroughly embassed at home in the Detroit game, and any YSU basketball fan would have a right to be upset.  Since then Coach Slocum has D.J. Cole in a starting role and emphasized playing better at home, and not only on the road.  The results speak for themselves. He is also using a rotation of nine players on most nights maximizing the bench.  The defense has improved immensely, and I think Detroit gets a much tougher opponent on Friday on the U.  Sorry, if I upset some people, but others were ready to give up on this team and prepare for next football season.  I watch every game I can on HLN out here in Colorado and continue to follow YSU sports including baseball and track and field.  I also follow the women's teams.  Yes! I'm still on the bandwagon.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 11:30:22 PM »
IP,

It is not the people that post (or just read) here that are the problem.  They praise or condemn but they follow.  The impact of such things as the Detroit massacre on casual fans is the problem.  The general admission sections were poorly filled tonight because casual fans lost interest for the year after that disaster.  Saturday's kids day produced a good crowd but that great idea was an abnormality.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 11:44:13 PM »
I've been screaming for years for YSU to take care of business at home and be much tougher in Beeghly, but it's hard to do when only the casual fans show up, and the crowd is mostly made up of Alumni and and an older crowd.  No much student support of the team hurts because of YSU being mostly a communter school.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 12:42:19 AM »
Guys the Detroit game was an embarrassment, no question. But it was just one game. The point of the matter is not to over-react about one game during a 30 game season. Just think how horrible we were (both men and women) a few years ago. At least we are talking about a bandwagon now!! This is good.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 04:15:48 AM »
Absolutely, Italianpenguin.  In fact, I think in an odd way the blowout at home may made the team and coaching staff more focused not to let the season go down the tubes.  If there is a such thing as pride, I think the players got the message after that game.  I know there are challenges ahead, but this team is for real.  The Horizon league tourney will be interesting if they can stay focused.  They know they have a chance.  Detroit is in for a challenge Friday, and I think they know YSU will be better prepared to play them this time around.  As coach said, this is a different team now then at that time.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 09:41:37 AM »
I'm worried about Fridays game. Coming off a big emotional win with one days rest. Playing who I think is the best team in our conference, not Valpo. Hopefully I'm wrong

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 12:31:51 PM »
Im back on the wagon and hoping for a great game tomorrow night on ESPNU...  I watched the game on my computer as I live In Arizona and was impressed with the overall play but disappointed in the crowd.. Oh well they missed a great game by both the players and coaches...

Offline A Penguin-Husky

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »
What I wrote, when I wrote it, is exactly how I felt.  Am I glad the team has found a way?  Yes.  Do I spend a lot of time on things I cannot control and let effect my life?  Hell no.  YSU sports falls in this category.  For personal reasons this appears to be last year I will buy YSU Basketball season tickets.  Nothing to do with if they win or lose.  Simply more important things for us to do.