Author Topic: Men's Basketball vs. Detroit - Thursday January 10  (Read 13791 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's Basketball vs. Detroit - Thursday January 10
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:46:12 PM »
The men open their Horizon League home schedule Thursday night against Detroit.

This is a huge game against one of the top teams in the league.  Only 3 road teams have won thus far in Horizon League play.  The other two teams with road wins (Loyola and Valpo) have each lost at home - a YSU win would effectively put them one up in a league where road wins figure to scarce.

Detroit comes in at 10-5, 2-0 in the league.  The Titans opened with home wins over Milwaukee (74-59) and Green Bay (84-76).  Detroit is only 1-5 on the road this year.  Titans lost to St Johns (77-74), Miami FL (77-62), Bowling Green (70-65), Pitt (74-61) and Syracuse (72-68) before winning 74-58 at Alcorn State.

Pomeroy gives YSU a 58% chance of winning, projecting a 77-75 YSU win.  Pomeroy currently projecting YSU to finish 10-6 in the league, which he has as a tie for second with Valpo behind Detorit at 11-5.

Massey gives YSU a 51% chance of winning, projecting a 76-75 YSU win.  Massey has YSU finishing 11-5 in the league.

Sagarin's overall ratings make YSU a 1 1/2 point favorite, his predictor ratings favor YSU by 2 1/2.

All the computers say a close, high scoring game. 

Detroit is a team that usually gives YSU fits.  Ray McCallum is deservedly very highly regarded.  Doug Anderson is one man highlight show - lets hope he has no highlight dunks.

I will miss the webcast of the game.  Have a college reception to attend with my son.  Hopefully all of you back in the Valley will be at the game cheering on the Guins while I try to check Twitter as much as possible on my phone.   ::)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's Basketball vs. Detroit - Thursday January 10
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »
Very big game. Need to win this one at home! Hoping to have a big crowd

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:14:44 PM »
There is little doubt that this is the pivotal game of the year.  How psyched are our fans?  They are discussing the merits of a former football coach that was let go over three years ago. ???  That kind of says it all.

The semester has not started and casual fans have forgotten all about this team since we have not played a real game at home since November.  I anticipate a nearly empty gym.  In a bizarre way that could work to our advantage.  Sometimes visiting teams in any sport have a hard time staying focused in an unattractive environment.

Win this game and grab one in Wisconsin next week and we will be in the league race all season long.  Drop this one tonight and we are back with the pack.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 03:15:06 PM »
There is little doubt that this is the pivotal game of the year.  How psyched are our fans?  They are discussing the merits of a former football coach that was let go over three years ago. ???  That kind of says it all.

The semester has not started and casual fans have forgotten all about this team since we have not played a real game at home since November.  I anticipate a nearly empty gym.  In a bizarre way that could work to our advantage.  Sometimes visiting teams in any sport have a hard time staying focused in an unattractive environment.

Win this game and grab one in Wisconsin next week and we will be in the league race all season long.  Drop this one tonight and we are back with the pack.

I don't expect a empty gym. I expect a good size but not nearly sold out

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »

I don't expect a empty gym. I expect a good size but not nearly sold out

I agree on a nice crowd.  I mean this is not a football game with upwards of 20k ...I have heard figures of 2,500 pre-sales. This is a football school, but you make a valid point on the casual fan's attention span Wick.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 07:37:03 PM »
We cannot even compete against these guys. We are just terrible. What is going on?

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 07:41:27 PM »
Unless they shoot 50% beyond the arc they have no chance.  Detroit is huge, athletic, long and denying every pass....YSU has NO answer.... Back door maybe?  It appears like MEN against BOYS

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
How can they show up like this! Just not ready to compete in this game. This is men vs boys!  I've already turned it off.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 07:53:08 PM »
Being in the BONUS is supposed to be an advantage unless your YSU...... If u cant make an uncontested 15 footer I suppose we shouldnt expect too much from the 3pt line..... This is insane

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 07:59:47 PM »
This offense of handing off between our guards 25 feet away from the basket doesnt cut it against a team like this... What is Slocum thinking..? Spread them out...... How would you like to be trapped every play by a 6'8"guy?  Then u have them dribbling into the trap almost every play...... Basketball 101..... passing beats the press..................

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 08:00:59 PM »
This is exactly why we have the crowds we do!  We play three teams most high schools could give a tough time.  Then completely lay an egg when teams like Cleveland St. and Detroit come in.  This is absolutely embarrassing.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:00:48 PM »
Could anyone else tell a noticeable talent disparity between the two teams?  If its any consolation Detroits 3rd string only outscored our 3rd string by like 10........ A little moral victory for the Penguins!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »
Yes there is disparity, but we should never get embarrassed at home like this!   Crowd or no crowd!

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 09:40:05 PM »
Ouch!!! That was some ugly basketball. we started off bad and just got worse. 

Offline A Penguin-Husky

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 08:39:22 AM »
Admit we left at the 28 minute mark in second half.  Went to find if the police were around as there was a terrible mugging in the gym.  Refs let game get out of hand right away.  Very physical.  Advantage to Detroit.  First game we had seen since November as we were out of town all December.  We belong to Court Side Penguin Club at $550 per year.  We do this for some winter entertainment and assures us of being able to get tail gate pass for football.  This will be last year we do this.  Find another way to assure ourselves of tailgate purchase.  Last night set YSU basketball back another 2 years from an attendance standpoint.