Author Topic: Football recruiting thread  (Read 22067 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Football recruiting thread
« on: January 01, 2013, 10:59:11 PM »
There are a bunch of reports of YSU football offers out there.

I wanted to start a thread to post some of the links we might find.

I found this one interesting - Naples (FL) Daily News Most Outstanding Player Manny Morgan, a RB who rushed for over 2,000 yards, will visit YSU this month

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2012/dec/25/2012-ndn-broxson-award-winner-manny-morgan-high/

When Manny Morgan sets his mind to something, he gets it done.

After leading the area in rushing two straight years, the Naples High back had bigger visions for his senior season. Morgan wanted to make sure he was remembered as one of the best running backs in Golden Eagles history.

With the second-most rushing yards in a single season, which put him second on Naples' all-time list, Morgan achieved his goal. By running for 2,069 yards for the regional champion Eagles, Morgan also earned the Daily News Broxson Award as the area's most outstanding football player.

"I was hoping to break 2,000 yards," the senior said. "I set that as my goal before the year. It took a lot of hard work."

Morgan's assault on the Naples record book began shortly after his junior year. The 5-foot-9, 190-pound back knew if he wasn't going to be big, he would have to be fast.

He ran track as a junior, focusing on the sprints and the jumps. Morgan also put in extra work over the summer. In addition to lifting weights with his team, Morgan would get up early and run on the beach — against the wind — to improve his leg strength and quickness.

The results were visible right away. Morgan jump-started his senior season with 351 total yards and four touchdowns in Week 1 against North Miami. It was one of three 200-yard rushing games for him. Morgan ran for more than 100 yards in 10 of his 13 games, and the other three he had at least 91 yards.

"The biggest difference was his speed," Naples coach Bill Kramer said. "He worked really, really hard. He was diligent in the offseason about improving his speed. He was very technical about it. That's the difference between rushing for 1,300 yards (as a junior) and going over 2,000."

Following three straight 1,000-yard seasons and 4,546 career rushing yards, Morgan is rivaled only by Duane Coleman in his production at Naples High School. Morgan's senior year ranks behind Coleman's 2,814 yards in 2001 as the second-best single season. Coleman, also a three-time 1,000-yard rusher, is the only back with more career yards than Morgan.

Morgan still is waiting to pick a college program. He hasn't gotten any Division I offers, Kramer said, largely because teams have just seen highlights from Morgan's junior year when he was a step slower.

Youngstown State has shown interest, and Morgan has an official visit planned for the Football Championship Subdivision school in January.

Morgan has been obsessed with improvement since he started the sport. As a youth football player, he would go over technique and details with his father, Tyrone, a 1995 Lely graduate and former Trojans running back.

"He gives me advice," Morgan said of his father. "He's worked with me since I was young. He would record my Pop Warner games and we'd watch film on Sunday mornings. Ever since then I've been a workhorse."

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football recruiting thread
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »
Manny Morgan has visited YSU, Akron and New Mexico State and played in one of the undercard games at the  recent San Antonio Army high shcool all star games

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/jan/08/prep-football-locals-represent-area-well-at-army/

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »
Fenwick senior QB Ricky Davis committed to Youngstown State on Dec. 21, according to Fenwick coach Fred Cranford.

Davis, a first-team all-GCL North selection this past season, had 1,213 passing yards on 69 passing attempts and 16 touchdowns in the regular season. Davis, who is 6 feet 2 and and 195 pounds, also had 412 rushing yards on 87 carries and five rushing touchdowns. He also had a preferred walk-on offer from Illinois.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 11:04:53 AM »
Poland senior kicker Connor McFadden verbally commits to Youngstown State. McFadden, who verbally committed to Youngstown State this week, will follow not just in the footsteps of his father (who kicked for the Penguins from 1980-83 before spending six barefooted seasons in the NFL with the Eagles, Giants and Falcons) but also his mother, Dianne Rappach, who played for YSU’s women’s basketball team from 1988-92. Both are in YSU’s athletic hall of fame.

“Yeah, that factored in [the decision] a little bit,” said Connor, whose high school coach, Mark Brungard, was a standout quarterback for the Penguins. “They’ve always told me it’s up to me, though. But at this point, YSU probably has the best facilities around here, so I figured it’s the best decision I could make.”

Over his three-year career, McFadden set Poland records for field goals (19) and PATs (108). He made 19 of 31 field goals in his career and had touchbacks on more than 50 percent of his kickoffs.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »
Cincy Colerain's  LA Ramsby visited YSU.  A high school quarterback, he is being recruited by YSU as a running back.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/recruiting/2013/01/14/colerain-standout-la-ramsby-visiting-youngstown-state-this-weekend/

Colerain senior LA Ramsby is taking an official visit to Youngstown State this weekend, according to Colerain coach Tom Bolden.

Ramsby is being recruited as a running back by Youngstown State, according to Bolden.

Ramsby is scheduled to visit Georgia Southern on Jan. 25. He has reported offers from Georgia Southern and Eastern Illinois.

Ramsby, the AP Southwest District Division I offensive player of the year this season, rushed for 1,688 yards and 18 touchdowns and threw for 1,649 yards with 16 touchdowns this past season for the Cardinals. He was first-team all-state.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 06:30:43 PM »
Cincy Colerain's  LA Ramsby visited YSU.  A high school quarterback, he is being recruited by YSU as a running back.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/recruiting/2013/01/14/colerain-standout-la-ramsby-visiting-youngstown-state-this-weekend/

Colerain senior LA Ramsby is taking an official visit to Youngstown State this weekend, according to Colerain coach Tom Bolden.

Ramsby is being recruited as a running back by Youngstown State, according to Bolden.

Ramsby is scheduled to visit Georgia Southern on Jan. 25. He has reported offers from Georgia Southern and Eastern Illinois.

Ramsby, the AP Southwest District Division I offensive player of the year this season, rushed for 1,688 yards and 18 touchdowns and threw for 1,649 yards with 16 touchdowns this past season for the Cardinals. He was first-team all-state.

I saw this kid play on tv. He is very athletic. Too small for QB but can definitely be a RB. Tore his ACL last year and looked like he never lost a step ths year

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:08:28 AM »

1. If he wants to stay closer to home YSU.

2. If he thinks he's NFL material EIU.

3. If he wants to continue to play his style of football GSU.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:09:02 AM by ysubigred »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »

Good call...it'll be interesting those are some tough choice to make I'm sure.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »

Point taken - but actually EIU is 40 miles closer to Cincy than YSU.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »

In state tuition?? LOL!! I actually knew that after I posted it but I was hoping Indy wasn't on the board today  ;)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »

In state tuition?? LOL!! I actually knew that after I posted it but I was hoping Indy wasn't on the board today  ;)
Indy sees all....

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »

LOL. If I didn't live in between Cincy and Charleston IL, I would have never guessed. I wasn't sure so had to go to Mapquest to check it out.  :)

In state tuition might matter if he is in line for a partial scholly everywhere.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:21:02 PM »
EIU is a good program, but he will get a bit more NFL visibility here. EIU has lived off of Romo for too long now.

Offline YSU45

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 12:31:46 PM »
LA Ramsby is going to GSU.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 04:39:01 PM »
Jacob Wood, a 6-5 TE from Tallmadge has committed to YSU