Author Topic: Darrell Hazell and YSU  (Read 4460 times)

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Darrell Hazell and YSU
« on: December 06, 2012, 08:39:24 AM »
I remember Darrell's name being mentioned on here for the YSU job, but does anyone know if he actually applied or was interviewed for it?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Darrell Hazell and YSU
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 02:21:55 PM »
My recollection is that Strollo targeted only Wolford and that he got the only interview.  I am very happy that this guy is on his way to Purdue.  The last thing we needed was a successful mid-major parked on our doorstep.  Now Kent will devolve into what they have been for the past four decades.

Heacock did a fine job as defensive coordinator there, and I hope Hazell takes him to Purdue.  Since I like Heacock as a person, the last thing I want is for him to be offered the head job at Kent.  That would be great for us, but I don't want to see him suffer again.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »
My understanding is that Hazell was indeed an early candidate but was steered away from the job by Tressel who did not want another of his proteges following his footsteps after what he saw happened to Heacock. The focus was then turned on Mark Stoops who was considering the job until Florida St called. Then the focus was on Wolford.

Offline guin52

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 07:51:25 AM »
I think that Coach Heacock would do an outstanding job at KSU if that is what he wants to do I do believe he had a winning record while at YSU

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 01:06:51 PM »
My understanding is that Hazell was indeed an early candidate but was steered away from the job by Tressel who did not want another of his proteges following his footsteps after what he saw happened to Heacock.

Very interesting, although since 9 years had passed I don't believe another Tressel guy would have faced the same scrutiny as Heacock.