Author Topic: NO PLAYOFFS  (Read 13377 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
NO PLAYOFFS
« on: November 18, 2012, 01:40:11 PM »
That's what happens when you lose 4 in a row. 2 of which you had leads and should have won. Another disappointing season for this football season.....

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NO PLAYOFFS
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 01:43:21 PM »
Has some hope but not that much. Another year without the playoffs. Disappointing!!!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »
we need to get out of the mvc....what a joke....cal poly.....wofford...really....some of these teams
are just not that good...of the 20 teams....ysu would be favorites against at least 12...15 of them in
a game...

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 02:32:36 PM »
Not surprised at all that YSU isn't in.  I'm left wondering if 8-3 with a win over SIU would have been enough.  When I look at teams like Richmond and Eastern Kentucky with 8-3 records being left out I wonder if an 8-3 YSU would've been in.  The win over Pitt should have given YSU a better profile, but Pitt is a 4-6 team in the worst BCS Conference - other than their game at Notre Dame they have underperformed their talent level significantly this year.   It would've been interesting to see if YSU would've gotten the nod over Wofford, who seems to have the weakest at large profile

No conference got more than 3 teams in this year.  Train - you just can't lose 4 games in your conference and make the playoff - the only way its going to happen would be in a year where there are not enough teams with 7 Division I wins. 

This year is on the coaches and players - not the selection committee and the MVFC. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:02:00 PM by ysuindy »

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:28:26 PM »
YSUIndy.....I agree with you 100%.

Our record did not hold up to the criteria of being
competitive, to  the
selection committee.  Pure...Plain...Simple.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »
When you can't get it done in your conference, usually translates to no playoffs our record since 2007 is like 19-27.   With the addition of the all the Dakota schools made it tougher for us and I am wondering if the Missouri Valley is where we need to be.
A Penguin for life!!!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 08:48:05 PM »
Great points Indy and by the others saying 4 conference losses is NOT going to get a team into the playoffs... Adding the Dakota teams made the MVFC a much STRONGER conference. 2 of the 3 are in the playoffs..NDSU is #1 in the country, and defending National Champs.

Cannot believe some people would want to leave the MVFC?? Now YSU is in what is UNARGUABLY the top FCS Conference, and some people want to leave the MVC? The solution is to win 8 games and do better than 4-4 and tie 5th in MVFC. And, that is why this coaching staff is getting paid so much $$$$$, and pretty much has gotten everything they have asked for from the administration the last 3 years. Cannot lose 4 games in a row in middle of season and expect to make the playoffs. Best conference win was Indy State, and they are not in the playoffs... PITT is 4-6... Valpo is one of the worst teams in FCS... Albany is solid, but could not win their conference and missed the playoffs... Not very hard to see why YSU was left with only 10 at-large spots avilable

As for Cal-Poly and Wofford... Cal-Poly went 9-2/7-1(Tri Champs in Big Sky, 2nd best FCS Conference)... also beat Wyoming
Wofford went 8-3/6-2..tri-champs of SoCon, 3rd best FCS Conference...beat So-Con tri-champs and playoff team Appy State
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:05:37 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:42:33 PM »
Easy to see why both of those teams bleong, and YSU doesn't.  It was extremely painful listening to the SIU and Ill SU games on my computer out here in Colorado.   Both games we should have won!

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »
traveling is brutal in the mvc..tough to win on road..on top of that the locker room facilities are terrible....
if you dont think that is a big advantage for home teams your crazy....have to be very good to win consistantly on
road in covfefence...esp if your ysu....who has to travel farthest

Lets_Talk

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 10:49:11 PM »
Train,

I respect your opinion, and right to disagree. But, the simple fact is the game which cost YSU a playoff spot was NOT on the road. It was NOT in North or South Dakota. It was at home against SIU. 1 punt blocked by SIU and recovered for a TD... another botched snap by YSU recovered in the end zone by SIU for a TD... A 105 yard INT return for a TD.... That is 21 points, in a 38-21 loss at HOME!!!... YSU led 21-10 after scoring a TD with just over 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter at halftime, then was outscored 28-0 the rest of the game... SIU had very good special teams, but not much else. That is why they finished 6-5/5-3.

It really is not all that hard. A win in a $$$ game most years is not likely, so go 3-1 in OOC games. Then go 5-3 in the MVFC, and that results in 8-3. Win all 4 home games, plus 1 game on the road(Or 3-1 at home and 2-2 on the road... YSU did blow a 28-7 lead at ISU(r) this year on the road... Traveling from the Dakota's to Youngstown sure is not a piece of cake, yet SDSU has not had any problem winning at YSU(2-0 at YSU). And, NDSU did it in 2010. I'd be willing to say traveling to YSU is not easy for most of the MVFC schools. Winning on the road is hard in ANY conference. That is why winning at home is so important.

The YSU team that played PITT and Indy State IS deserving of being in the playoffs. But, not the team that lost 4 games in a row in the middle of the season, and then squeaked by with wins over partial scholarship Albany(did not even win their conference) or South Dakota(1-10/0-8) at home.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 11:08:12 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 12:38:45 AM »
Train,

I respect your opinion, and right to disagree. But, the simple fact is the game which cost YSU a playoff spot was NOT on the road. It was NOT in North or South Dakota. It was at home against SIU. 1 punt blocked by SIU and recovered for a TD... another botched snap by YSU recovered in the end zone by SIU for a TD... A 105 yard INT return for a TD.... That is 21 points, in a 38-21 loss at HOME!!!... YSU led 21-10 after scoring a TD with just over 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter at halftime, then was outscored 28-0 the rest of the game... SIU had very good special teams, but not much else. That is why they finished 6-5/5-3.

It really is not all that hard. A win in a $$$ game most years is not likely, so go 3-1 in OOC games. Then go 5-3 in the MVFC, and that results in 8-3. Win all 4 home games, plus 1 game on the road(Or 3-1 at home and 2-2 on the road... YSU did blow a 28-7 lead at ISU(r) this year on the road... Traveling from the Dakota's to Youngstown sure is not a piece of cake, yet SDSU has not had any problem winning at YSU(2-0 at YSU). And, NDSU did it in 2010. I'd be willing to say traveling to YSU is not easy for most of the MVFC schools. Winning on the road is hard in ANY conference. That is why winning at home is so important.

The YSU team that played PITT and Indy State IS deserving of being in the playoffs. But, not the team that lost 4 games in a row in the middle of the season, and then squeaked by with wins over partial scholarship Albany(did not even win their conference) or South Dakota(1-10/0-8) at home.

Albany did win their conference. They finished 9-2.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 04:28:48 AM »
ysufan0505,

I apologize for not being more clear in regards to Albany. I meant to say Albany(9-2/7-1) did not win the Auto Bid from the NEC. Thank you for pointing out my omitting that Albany DID finish as co-champs of the NEC with Wagner, and lost the tie breaker due to getting beat by Wagner 30-0 at home.

Thanks again for pointing out my mistake with Albany.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 04:37:01 AM by Lets_Talk »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 07:21:54 AM »
Year 3.  Very few tractors left on the team.  "Now is the time" us the message that was sent.  Very little improvement on defense and special teams.  I have to give offensive coaches a pass due to the injury situation and some inconsistent play by a few players.  However there are some position coaches that need to go particularly in the secondary and special teams IMOP.  This season was a complete failure or maybe we just have a bunch of faster tractors.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 07:34:45 AM »
I don't know how anyone on Earth can be crying that a 7-4 team missed the playoffs.  When you lose that 3rd and 4th game, you take your destiny out of your hands.  Sorry. 

And...the MVC isn't the issue.  The issue is losing four games.  It is chicken crap to leave a conference because it is "too hard".  Get better.  Period.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 06:30:37 PM »
I don't know how anyone on Earth can be crying that a 7-4 team missed the playoffs.  When you lose that 3rd and 4th game, you take your destiny out of your hands.  Sorry. 

And...the MVC isn't the issue.  The issue is losing four games.  It is chicken crap to leave a conference because it is "too hard".  Get better.  Period.
Ditto :(