Author Topic: YSU - Ind St.  (Read 13318 times)

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU - Ind St.
« on: November 13, 2012, 04:03:41 PM »
I just can't see how Indiana gets in with a loss this Saturday over YSU....

That being said...I don't see how the MVC does not get 4 teams in this year...

It would help if Stoney Brook lost this weekend....and Cal-Poly beats N. Arizona...

As was the case last year...I really believe YSU wins..they are in...

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU - Ind St.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 05:04:25 PM »
All too much the fellows in the stands were so worried about the redbirds beating uni last year.  First off, I would never root for uni. Secondly, noone was interested in the game being played (and lost) before our very eyes that day.  So in closing, I will loudly support our Penguinz this Saturday in hopes of a victory.  Likely, I will DVR the announcements and wait to hear our fate before watching it with unbridled enthusiasm.

Z

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »
Lets hope we are spending Saturday nigh and Sunday morning trying to find a path to the playoffs for YSU.  I don't like the math right now, but lets let it play out.  As I said on an earlier topic, playoff experience would be big for the coaching staff and the team, even if it is a bad one and out - no one has it right now.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:39:15 PM »
It all doesn't matter if we don't win. Gotta get the W. Indiana St is a good team. Gotta bring our A game. Hess has to come out firing for us to have a chance

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:57:52 AM »
I just can't see how Indiana gets in with a loss this Saturday over YSU....

That being said...I don't see how the MVC does not get 4 teams in this year...

It would help if Stoney Brook lost this weekend....and Cal-Poly beats N. Arizona...

As was the case last year...I really believe YSU wins..they are in...

If Indiana State wins then the MVC more than likely will get 4 teams in, but if we win I highly doubt either one of us makes it.

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 09:09:16 AM »
so you are saying the MVC only gets 3 in if YSU wins..?..

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 09:15:15 AM »

I'm not holding my breath but this is about as good of an resume YSU has ever had as a bubble team below;

No sub- DI games.

1 FBS "W"

#11 SOS

All 4 losses to top 25 teams (at the time of the game).

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 09:44:21 AM »
I will say this. The Cookie Monster needs 79-yards to surpass the 4k mark in his Penguin career. I hope we give him the ball all day to be sure he gets it.

Tameron (aka: Thunder, for those of you old enough) Smith has the record at 4,866 yards.

Cook will be pass Adrian Brown for #2. Although I think he already has.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 09:54:16 AM »

That would be a safe bet. With Appy State's resurgence, and the love of the I-AA selection Committee + the fact that they need to take 1-extra from the mixed-up Southland + the fact that the CAA will cry foul if they do not get 6-teams, and they always get what ever they want + the fact that the Big Sky is really only too big = only 3 for the better MVFC. A win by ISU will be the only way that I see 4-teams from the MVFC.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »
I don't see us getting in. Sure we have as many D1 wins as the teams that played a D2, but we also have 1 more D1 loss.

Count the 8-3 teams and those with better records Sunday morning. That number better be pretty small for us to have a shot.

Offline GuinsAndNoles

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »
Probably not much precedence for a team with a solid win over a BCS school being on the bubble. Might have helped if Pitt had not thrown it away at Notre Dame.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »
A Pitt win at ND sure wouldn't have hurt...I agree.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 12:17:31 PM »

Yes.  Indiana State would only have 6 D1 wins.  YSU would be 7-4, but at best would finish in a 3 way tie for 5th in the conference.  That would make it quite difficult to get in ahead of all the 8-3 teams.  Check out the thread "Cook carries Youngstown St. past W. Illinois 31-7".

Offline guinsequalswins

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 06:25:38 PM »

Yes.  Indiana State would only have 6 D1 wins.  YSU would be 7-4, but at best would finish in a 3 way tie for 5th in the conference.  That would make it quite difficult to get in ahead of all the 8-3 teams.  Check out the thread "Cook carries Youngstown St. past W. Illinois 31-7".

Yes. Youre right about 5th in the conference but when your conference is known by many as the "SEC" of the FCS then it should warrant a bit more merit in my opinion. Also if Im not mistaken the four teams we lost to during the horrific slump in October were all in the top 25 the time we played them if Im not mistaken so that as well should help our chances. Im not sure if we'll be able to beat Indiana State but if we do I think we earned a spot into the playoffs based on the strong finish and not to mention a win at Pitt (who played Notre Dame to the brink before falling in OT). Im hoping these kids can get a taste of playoff football myself. Will they? That is yet to be determined. Lets go guins!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:27:32 PM by guinsequalswins »

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »

Yes. Youre right about 5th in the conference but when your conference is known by many as the "SEC" of the FCS then it should warrant a bit more merit in my opinion. Also if Im not mistaken the four teams we lost to during the horrific slump in October were all in the top 25 the time we played them if Im not mistaken so that as well should help our chances. Im not sure if we'll be able to beat Indiana State but if we do I think we earned a spot into the playoffs based on the strong finish and not to mention a win at Pitt (who played Notre Dame to the brink before falling in OT). Im hoping these kids can get a taste of playoff football myself. Will they? That is yet to be determined. Lets go guins!

Yeah, at the beginning of the season, that was certainly the case... and most everyone said it... MVFC is the SEC of the FCS world. But then we went through a season similar to last year where everyone in the conference beat each other up.  Because of this, I am fully expecting that only 3 teams out of at least 4 or 5 that deserve the playoffs will go from the MVFC.

And therein lies a big problem with FCS... it's very hard to compare the strength of the larger conferences.  The reason?... the FBS money games are taking away from cross conference play (good cross conference play like SoCon and CAA) in my opinion.  I mean who wants to play Ohio State and then Old Dominion in weeks 1 and 2?! Typically, your FBS game is your big chance to prove something in the early running then everyone retreats for the hills and tries to pad wins on a run of less-than-spectacular teams... that way, later in the season when you have to play YOUR conference's elite, you can afford to lose a game or two.

Example: Take a team like No. 14 James Madison, ranked 3rd in the supposedly "all powerful" CAA... They have three losses... one in a blowout to WVU and the others to Richmond and Villanova.  Now, how do I know how good that team is out of conference when their out of conference games are to Alcorn St. and St. Francis (PA) from less than impressive conferences. Then you see a team like YSU (with wins out of conference to FBS Pitt and Once-ranked Albany and losses to 4 ranked in-conference teams) sitting at No. 33.  In my mind, there is not enough to go off of to say which of these teams is better than the other.  Who's to say that the CAA isn't down as a whole.  Who's to say the MVFC isn't just "that good" that a 7-4 team in that conference is better than an 8-3 in another. Now, I'm not necessarily saying that's the case but once again... who's to say.

My opinion is that the CAA will get 4/5 in on past reputation and end up short-changing some teams that are more deserving.  Hopefully teams 2-5 in that CAA get handled (last year all but 1 of the 5 CAA "playoff" teams made it out of round 2) and someone finally realizes the only reason they go 8-3, 9-2 is because they stay in the conference and play the equivalent of D2 teams out of it.  Man, I would love to see an early season matchup of NDSU and Old Dominion, or SDSU and UNH or even YSU and James Madison... some true marquee games that help us gauge conference strength.

Just a thought... maybe dumb... but just a thought