Author Topic: Eric Wolford: The Third Year  (Read 7800 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Eric Wolford: The Third Year
« on: October 14, 2012, 09:14:20 AM »
So we are in the middle of Eric Wolford's third season, and what do we see?  A head coach who can not respond to his counterpart's half-time adjustments.  A head coach who ignores special teams.  A head coach who has assembled a well-paid but weak staff.  Some of the position coaches are completely ineffective.  A head coach who brags about his national recruiting yet most of his acquisitions could not have played here twenty years ago.  In fact, NONE of his defensive players could have started on Tressel's championship teams.  So how would you describe Eric Wolford?  This morning two words jump out at me: "failure" and "incompetent."  Thanks coach.  In the span of three short weeks, you have once again made YSU football irrelevant in our community.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Eric Wolford: The Third Year
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 09:34:57 AM »
I feel like I've been wtaching the same game for 3 years. Build a lead...offense goes in the tank, give up the lead in the 2nd half and lose.

That sound about right?

I thought we were making strides....but it looks like more of the same to me.

How can you blow a 28-7 lead?

Back to 11k in the stands I guess

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »
Your right. I just don't get it. The coaching is bad. You can only blame the players so much. Coaches have to put them in the right position to make plays.... It's bad

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 08:08:14 PM »
When we were undefeated everybody was on the bandwagon now the rats are jumping ship!!! LOL
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »
YSUGO....I don't believe anyone here is jumping ship just yet.  But let's be honest, the majority of what you're reading now is absolutely true.  Sure, winning is a nice band aid for all the problems that this team really has.  And we are all starting to witness teams now catching up with those weaknesses on the offense.  The defense??? Everyone knows it has been an achilles heal for nearly 3 years now.  It's been clearly noted several times now by Coach Wolford, we're WAY more talented and we have WAY more  depth.  Special teams???  Do they even exist????  No, I don't think so and I'm not just talking about the problems with the coverage side of it.  He doesn't even trust his kickers enough to give them a shot at SOME points. 

At the end of the day, we have all this talent and depth in all 3 facets.  Yet, we lose the same way.  An offense who has to constantly outscore the opponent.  And now, defenses are learning how to shut down that potent offense.  Who's problem is that????  It has to fall on the head coach.  He's the man, he's the boss.  This program's previous coach (and I admit that I was his harshest critic) was lambasted year in and year out for lack of talent and creativity.  The talent is here, where is the creatvity or should I say the brains to adjust throughout a game.  It doesn't exist.  Did you listen to the ISU (R) coach after the game.....he wrote down on paper throughout the second half the adjustments that were needed and made immediately.  YSUs coaches haven't learned that after 3  years.  Hell, they don't even make the necessary adjustments at the half. 

As much as I would love YSU to be a great a football team and make the playoffs every year.  I just don't see it happening and especially this year.  I don't want to see them get embarrassed  in the playoffs.  This coaching staff as a whole is just not ready for the big time.  And at some point, the boss has to take a long look in the mirror and ask himself one simple question.  And I'm in control of this program??? If so, then take control.

Ok, my train has stopped.  :)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 09:39:03 AM »
When we were undefeated everybody was on the bandwagon now the rats are jumping ship!!! LOL
Wait a sec...who you calling a rat and who's jumping ship....? Watch it bud, I'm sure you do not know half the people on here. If you're not frustrated I want whatever it is your taking.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 09:41:00 AM by HappyPenguin »

Offline ysuscuba

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »
4-2, not bad for a thrid year coach..... ;D

We have some major growning pains........
"Any aquatic species that dares to swim past the coast of Japan will become extinct."

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 11:43:30 AM »

Winning at Pitt set the bar high...I think most of us would have settled for 4-2 pre-season considering who all we have played.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »

Winning at Pitt set the bar high...I think most of us would have settled for 4-2 pre-season considering who all we have played.

I was hoping for 5-1 loss to Pitt or 4-2 Loss to Pitt and NDSU dreaming of 6-0. I'm still scratching my head on ISUr ??? I believe they just wanted it more.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:51:58 PM by ysubigred »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »
I agree, but only to a point. Much of this is growing pains ...except I do not believe we are growing outside of our offense. I now look for coach M to make some adjustments. However, I have been looking for special teams and defensive adjustments for far too long. They are not growing.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
I agree, but only to a point. Much of this is growing pains ...except I do not believe we are growing outside of our offense. I now look for coach M to make some adjustments. However, I have been looking for special teams and defensive adjustments for far too long. They are not growing.

I thought the defense made nice adjustments at half in the Albany game.  Gave up 3 in the second half  ???

Offline ysuscuba

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »
The ISUr game was very tough to watch becuase once ISUr scored the second TD going into the half.  I got the weird feeling of.....Oh no, here we go again. 

We need to play a complete game on both sides of the ball. 

With this being said, lets give the coaches time to work this out.  It's not over yet. 

I enjoy watching this team vs.....the Heacock era...
"Any aquatic species that dares to swim past the coast of Japan will become extinct."

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:18:02 PM »
Heard Wolf on the radio tonight and I wish he would have bucked up and taken the blame instead he said the players need to cut the mistake ( or something to that effect ).

4th and 14 was his call.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne