Author Topic: North Dakota State defeats Youngstown State 48-7  (Read 22703 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: North Dakota State defeats Youngstown State 48-7
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »
Damnit that was embarrassing.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 12:10:03 PM »
Good point on time & players Wick ...but Tresey is not really that much different than his predecessor. The difference between the two is speed. Coach T expects more speed. However, all we do is over-pursue, make heroes out of fair opposing players, and give up the big play.  Also, on offense, I think coach M is almost a genius, and understand that many of Hess' passes are quick-hits ...so there is no time to look down your receivers. However, it has weaknesses, and I felt that we were not prepared to shift into a more base-O ...or at least give NDSU a much different look. Yet, all NDSU had to do was shift their O-line and our D-line was baffled. That is what high-school coaches do with their o-lines. We are supposed to be a DI football team.

With our unique offense, coming up with a defense that is going to compete in the MVFC is going to be tough. After all, our offense is not the type of offense that they are ever going to see during the season ...at least in conference play. So, our scout teams have to be very, very good. However, I need to see some solid defensive schemes in place ...this is not happening.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 12:25:41 PM »
This loss will be a blessing in disguise I guarantee it. It's this type of game that makes everybody (coaches, players) stop and think and rework some things. This team will bounce back. Have some faith

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »
The sun came up this morning, and my picture is not in the obits, so it is a good day.

NDSU is a good team, yesterday they were the better team but I would play them again in a heartbeat.

Main thing is to learn from it, crank it up a notch and start thinking about the next game.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 05:05:50 PM »
The obvious takeaway from yesterday's game is that NDSU is hands down the best FCS team since Appy. state of 2005-2007.   They have the complete package when it comes to offense, defense, special teams and coaching.   We are still light years away to that level but it will take our coaching staff to focus on all areas to be national title contenders.   Our "D" and kick coverage are getting worse as the season unfolds.
Teams are scouting us and they know they can get big plays each game.   

It will be difficult this Saturday @ Ill. St.  They are no NDSU but have a quarterback in Brown that can eat us alive.   They lost 17-0 to S. Ill but did have the main running back out.   It will be interesting to see which team rebounds better after a loss.  It is up to Wolford and his staff to make it happen. 

With our poor defense and special teams play we can end up with losses to SDSU and Ill. st on the road unless we get it together. 

Lets hope we turn it around Saturday and go guins!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 05:51:45 PM »
Waited 24 hrs to post about the game.  After reading some of what everybody said...I am as disappointed at ur fans as i am about the team.

1. Wolford came here to upgrade the program.  Yea there were good players here and yea there were players that wasnt so good. Would we have BEAT PITT with the old coach.   Hell NO!!!!.  He treated those games as a lay down. 

2. So if we go on iaa assumption that this team was doing just fine,,,did the past coach beat Northern Iowa? Did the past coach coach up his players? So i say sour grapes to anybody that seems to think this proram was in good hands 4 years ago...it wasnt.

3.  We all new our D was the problem and I want to think we need to give the New D coach a little more time, he didnt recruit those kids and if we dont see improvement, they will have to go get the righ kid.

4. We got beat by a great team.  They beat us up physically for 4 qtrs and they had tremendous depth.

5.  They had this game on there mind since we beat them and then the schedule gave them a big favor by having us come back there back to back years.

We are still light years ahead of where we were 4 years ago.  I think this is a playoff team its a long season and everbody needs to believe these guys can and will get to the playoffs!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 05:57:30 PM »
The pick 6 turned the who.e game around. We score there and it's a new ball game. Hess was greedy, had a man wide open for the first. That's the worst game I've seen Hess play. Can't win on the road when you turn the ball over, just can't. Bad tackling, bad special teams again. But I know this team WILL bounce back next week.

In fairness to Hess, that CB made one hell of a play on that pass.  NFL Revis type play.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »
On the matter of the defense, there is one thing that we should keep in mind.  Joe Tresey was hired before spring ball but after recruiting season.  Is that correct?  If so, he had no input into the selection of any player on the field, including the jucos.  He is merely playing with what he inherited.  Asking him to mold this bunch into an effective, hard-hitting defense might be like asking John J. McGraw to win with the current roster of the Cleveland Indians.  Not possible.  One thing is abundantly clear.  Wolford must allow Tresey to select each and every defensive recruit: high school, juco, or transfer. Recruiting "athletes" that can not tackle must end.
[/b]

BINGO!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 06:11:27 PM »
"I'm tryin' real hard Ringo"    said in my best Samuel L. Jackson voice,,,,,but this defense and special teams just doesn't cut it.

I don't give a crap that we beat Pittsburgh.  I don't give a crap that Tresey didn't have input to recruits.

They don't tackle and they don't even try to wrap up.   Special teams are horrid.   That is coaching.

I love Wolf but he has to get this corrected immediately.   Our current DL makeup allows for only "bull rushing" since they lack quickness and speed.  Since that is the case, we have to blitz, blitz, blitz and when those blitzes are rarely called or they are called and the LBs don't get there, it is a huge problem.

Save the condemnation of the DBs, it all starts with pressure and we get none.  QBs get way too comfortable.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 06:32:48 PM »
"Over-Reaction" Sunday I guess.....Calm down people. Its one game. Our kids deserve more respect than that.

You folks are all morphing into a Wolford personality..... :o ;).

You all know how that is playing in the community.

One personality like that..... in very small doses....... is plenty. ::) ???
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:12:02 PM by Pizza »

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 06:41:39 PM »
I think the problem is a common one at 1-AA (FCS) level. Only 65 schollies, everyone recruiting offense first to run the spread, defense is an afterthought. It's tough to stop the spread and similar passing offenses. I don't care who you are. Not enough scholarships to be great at every position, 22 deep on both offense and defense. It is what it is, unless you catch lightening in a bottle.

It's tough to tackle in space. Need to be a great athlete to look good when u are on n island. And with the spread, it puts everyone, (not just Db's) on a an island.

Montgomery is fine by me. He's the guy that is changing this team for the better. Wolford made a great choice there. Give our D Coord a couple of years.

YSU will make the playoffs. Should have made it last year, as we were clearly one of the best 20. This year there is no doubt about that. Unless the selection committee is completely ignorant of football.

That is progress.

And Wolf and Strollo, as much as you may "question" them....have us on the proper trajectory.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:10:48 PM by Pizza »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 07:14:11 PM »
Waited 24 hrs to post about the game.  After reading some of what everybody said...I am as disappointed at ur fans as i am about the team.

1. Wolford came here to upgrade the program.  Yea there were good players here and yea there were players that wasnt so good. Would we have BEAT PITT with the old coach.   Hell NO!!!!.  He treated those games as a lay down. 

2. So if we go on iaa assumption that this team was doing just fine,,,did the past coach beat Northern Iowa? Did the past coach coach up his players? So i say sour grapes to anybody that seems to think this proram was in good hands 4 years ago...it wasnt.

3.  We all new our D was the problem and I want to think we need to give the New D coach a little more time, he didnt recruit those kids and if we dont see improvement, they will have to go get the righ kid.

4. We got beat by a great team.  They beat us up physically for 4 qtrs and they had tremendous depth.

5.  They had this game on there mind since we beat them and then the schedule gave them a big favor by having us come back there back to back years.

We are still light years ahead of where we were 4 years ago.  I think this is a playoff team its a long season and everbody needs to believe these guys can and will get to the playoffs!

What you are saying does make sense when you read it Go, but factor in this:

1. We did not hire either of the two coordinators. We were not asked about our opinion. Wolf hired them. Did we ask for a new DC this year? Hiring a DC from Florida was clearly a mistake ...I sad it the day he was hired. We cannot give them excuses. If we are going to use that analogy, whey did we not give coach H 2 or 3 more years to install the spread? I will tell you why, because no one cared about that ...they just wanted to win. Likewise, no one cares if Wolf had to replace his DC ...we want to win.

2. We can easily make the play-off I agree. However, there will never ...and I repeat NEVER be any respect for us unless we take home the title this year ...hopefully seeing NDSU again along the way. We were not even competitive yesterday. NDSU is not even close to as good as some of you think they are. There running game is never going to hold up & Jensen is too immobile ...he is not Kurt Hess.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 07:35:42 PM »
Special Teams coach needs to go

Offline tjbison

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 07:37:02 PM »

What you are saying does make sense when you read it Go, but factor in this:

1. We did not hire either of the two coordinators. We were not asked about our opinion. Wolf hired them. Did we ask for a new DC this year? Hiring a DC from Florida was clearly a mistake ...I sad it the day he was hired. We cannot give them excuses. If we are going to use that analogy, whey did we not give coach H 2 or 3 more years to install the spread? I will tell you why, because no one cared about that ...they just wanted to win. Likewise, no one cares if Wolf had to replace his DC ...we want to win.

2. We can easily make the play-off I agree. However, there will never ...and I repeat NEVER be any respect for us unless we take home the title this year ...hopefully seeing NDSU again along the way. We were not even competitive yesterday. NDSU is not even close to as good as some of you think they are. There running game is never going to hold up & Jensen is too immobile ...he is not Kurt Hess.

Please explain how you come to this conclusion?

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 07:52:01 PM »
I think the problem is a common one at 1-AA (FCS) level. Only 65 schollies, everyone recruiting offense first to run the spread, defense is an afterthought. It's tough to stop the spread and similar passing offenses. I don't care who you are. Not enough scholarships to be great at every position, 22 deep on both offense and defense. It is what it is, unless you catch lightening in a bottle.

It's tough to tackle in space. Need to be a great athlete to look good when u are on n island. And with the spread, it puts everyone, (not just Db's) on a an island.

Montgomery is fine by me. He's the guy that is changing this team for the better. Wolford made a great choice there. Give our D Coord a couple of years.

YSU will make the playoffs. Should have made it last year, as we were clearly one of the best 20. This year there is no doubt about that. Unless the selection committee is completely ignorant of football.

That is progress.

And Wolf and Strollo, as much as you may "question" them....have us on the proper trajectory.

Did NDSU run the spread?    Hmmmm must have missed that.