Author Topic: Impact of BCS playoffs on money games  (Read 4782 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Impact of BCS playoffs on money games
« on: September 27, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »
Associated Press story (by Rusty Milller) on Ohio State potentially dropping MAC teams from the schedule in an attempt to improve their strength of schedule to get selected for the four team BCS playoff. 

Clearly we have to consider whether top BCS schools or all BCS schools would consider pulling back on non-BCS league teams and FBS teams.  And if that happens, do the four 16 team leauges simply break away and keep all the money?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/ohio-states-ad-says-buckeyes-may-go-away-from-scheduling-mac-teams-due-to-4-team-fbs-playoff/2012/09/27/23a7d010-08c2-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_story.html

Ohio State’s AD says Buckeyes may go away from scheduling MAC teams due to 4-team FBS playoff
   Text Size PrintE-mailReprints
By Associated Press, Updated: Thursday, September 27, 1:28 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The days when Ohio State regularly entertained a Mid-American Conference school may be coming to an end because of the new FBS playoff system.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said the four-team FBS playoff may mean fewer games against MAC teams.

“We’re changing our philosophy because we’re obviously going to move into a playoff structure that I don’t think all of us really understand yet, how the committee’s going to work,” Smith said earlier this week. “Many of us are assuming it’s going to work similar to the (NCAA tournament) basketball committee, so your non-conference schedule will come into consideration as they evaluate whether or not you’re going to be one of those final four teams.”

The Buckeyes are scheduled to play MAC members Buffalo in 2013, Kent State in 2014, Northern Illinois in 2015 and Bowling Green in 2016 — all at Ohio Stadium. Because of the iffy status of the playoffs and the number of Big Ten games Ohio State might play, the schedule is incomplete starting with the 2017 season. The Buckeyes’ website only lists two games so far for 2017.

The Buckeyes have played MAC teams almost annually since ending a 58-year span without meeting an Ohio or MAC team in 1992. Ohio State has played MAC teams 20 times since then, sometimes two in the same season, as was the case in 2011.

The Buckeyes have had numerous close calls against MAC teams, including a 27-22 victory a year ago over Toledo. Ohio State has paid upward of $1 million for MAC schools to provide opposition.

Smith said the committee that will decide the final four teams in the playoffs starting in 2014 will take into consideration strength of schedule, meaning the Buckeyes likely will go for more name-brand opponents from big conferences.

“As we move to 2018 and out, because we’re all set for our games through 2017, we’re looking at a different scheduling format,” Smith said. “So we’ll still play a MAC school on occasion, but not nearly as much as we have in the past.”

The MAC includes six schools from Ohio who have provided the majority of opposition for Ohio State from the conference: Ohio, Toledo, Bowling Green, Akron, Kent State and Miami (Ohio).

MAC teams beat four opponents last Saturday from Bowl Championship Series conferences that are automatic qualifiers for major bowl slots.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Impact of BCS playoffs on money games
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »
Wow, the trickle down effect on this type of thinking can really cause problems for FCS schools. Heck for sure the mac teams will suffer.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 07:14:53 PM »
You wonder why many of us were calling for a 2nd money game?  With alumni backlash and this latest news common sense suggests that these games will not or cannot go on forever.  If I was the Administration I would schedule a 12th game next year against anyone willing to pay $250k and a days trip from Ytown.......

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 12:52:14 PM »
You wonder why many of us were calling for a 2nd money game?  With alumni backlash and this latest news common sense suggests that these games will not or cannot go on forever.  If I was the Administration I would schedule a 12th game next year against anyone willing to pay $250k and a days trip from Ytown.......

We get that much at our own level ...it would have to be at least $350k. We turned down MAC schools for the big $$ games. The estimated value of an FCS vs. FCS game is now $225k I think. It used to be around $100k just a couple of years ago. It is the Money Games that pushed this price up. Granted all but 1 of these is a "wash", but still that one game will cost us $225k without an extra home game to help cover the cost.

Think of it in more simple surroundings:

On an average year, we play 11 games. If we played all FCS teams (valued at $225k)....
1) On years where we had 6-home and 5-away games ....we would make $225k.
2) On years where we had 5-home and 6-away games ...we would lose $225k.
So we break even every 2-years.

Now prior to the "Tressel Rule" ...we scheduled one DII & 1-MAC ...then what ever we could get (remember we were an independent)

So, the value of a I-AA game back ten was about $50k-$75k. If we traveled to a MAC school, they paid us about $125k ..and a modest profit. With some of that profit, we were able to pay a DII school for 2-years ...usually around $25k-$35k (and that was a goldmine for them). So it is safe to say that we would, at least, break even in our overall game income.

Now with the advent of the "money game" ...we can bring home anywhere from $350k to $650k a game ...so let's say we average about $500k. This would mean that we make a profit of that much, as there is no return game to pay for. We make an extra $500k a year that we never used to get. Then if you happen to get a win after 7-years (as we did this year) it counts as a DI win!!!!

The rest of the monie$$ comes from Loge sales, game ticket sales, tailgate sales, concessions, memorabilia, apparel, programs, and such. Then the serious dollar$ come from loges and the advertising component ...such as signs in Stambaugh & in our programs.

This why I always purchase a program, extra ticket, and tailgate spot for each and every game. My father passed away and I still pay for his tickets ...besides I am fat and can use the extra room for my back-side. ;)

Furthermore I encourage all of you to do the same. Buy a program at every game, buy a shirt or cap once a year, come to see your guins play on 5 or 6 Saturday's a year (football). All of this stuff adds up. When you are watching the game on TV afterwards ...support those that advertise on the game.