Author Topic: Recruiting: Why no commitments yet????!  (Read 6759 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Recruiting: Why no commitments yet????!
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:57:35 PM »
Just wondering why we have no commitments for next years recruiting class yet. Especially after the big win vs Pitt. I know it's still early in the season but find it kind of odd. Maybe it's just me. I know we have a lot of depth and have offered quite a few kids, idk. Thoughts?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Recruiting: Why no commitments yet????!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 11:34:55 PM »
My theory is that early commitments are not necessarily a good thing.  The kind of kid that we want is still dreaming of the "Big Time" in late September.  By next January, when that BCS offer does not come, YSU suddenly looks pretty good.  It would be interesting to know how many of our "impact" players committed to us before Christmas, and how many committed after the holidays.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:31:40 AM »
I would think that much of this has to do with availability, and also that it is simply too early to announce anything, or actively recruit.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:00:37 PM »
My theory is that early commitments are not necessarily a good thing.  The kind of kid that we want is still dreaming of the "Big Time" in late September.  By next January, when that BCS offer does not come, YSU suddenly looks pretty good.  It would be interesting to know how many of our "impact" players committed to us before Christmas, and how many committed after the holidays.

Right on
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:29:15 AM »
NDSU has 5 and we are complaining that's not enough...haha.

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 06:57:16 AM »
I said it before... someone from the staff needs to go pay those two kids at Seneca Valley a visit.  I saw them play last night in a huge victory over Pittsburgh Central Catholic.  Scouts from James Madison University were there and were VERY impressed.  The RB was just the WPIAL player of the week with 310 yards and SEVEN touchdowns in one game... he was great again last night.  Runs hard and runs fast.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
Goo Point Robmat. However, This a completely new scheme of O and D (O in particular). We need to target very specific people.

All of us need to remember that we are overloaded in recruits already. We do not have enough scholarships. At some point, we have to "pay the piper". Besides, we have always been able to have top RB's in the nation ...since the 80's. I think we are beginning to appreciate a power-back like Pace once again.

Also, as mentioned, most people in the conference have no idea of the level of prep ball here in the Valley. Our best players are playing anywhere they want. Not too many recruits out of the Dakotas starting on Big-10 & Big-12 teams. We have to wait on local guys. The other recruiting hot-spot is Florida ...it is the same for that entire state. We need to wait and see who fall through the cracks. We need to be getting our GA, CA, and VA guys at this time ...keeping them from the SoCon and the CAA.

Like Rob, I think the Pittsburgh area is going to be big for us over the next couple of years. That week-1 win is really going to have benefits.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 09:58:22 AM »
Goo Point Robmat. However, This a completely new scheme of O and D (O in particular). We need to target very specific people.

All of us need to remember that we are overloaded in recruits already. We do not have enough scholarships. At some point, we have to "pay the piper". Besides, we have always been able to have top RB's in the nation ...since the 80's. I think we are beginning to appreciate a power-back like Pace once again.

Also, as mentioned, most people in the conference have no idea of the level of prep ball here in the Valley. Our best players are playing anywhere they want. Not too many recruits out of the Dakotas starting on Big-10 & Big-12 teams. We have to wait on local guys. The other recruiting hot-spot is Florida ...it is the same for that entire state. We need to wait and see who fall through the cracks. We need to be getting our GA, CA, and VA guys at this time ...keeping them from the SoCon and the CAA.

Like Rob, I think the Pittsburgh area is going to be big for us over the next couple of years. That week-1 win is really going to have benefits.

:-\ We need to go get some of the Dakota kids LOL Every year when we play SDSU and NDSU I'm in awe of their size and athletic ability. This year we'll see what SDU has  8)
See below for an example  ;)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:14:44 AM by ysubigred »