Author Topic: NDSU or UNI  (Read 9896 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
NDSU or UNI
« on: September 24, 2012, 08:25:30 AM »
So who do we want to win this week?

If UNI loses can they still make the play-offs.

Do we want NDSU coming off a win or loss?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NDSU or UNI
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 08:47:40 AM »
Win. A loss would have them playing just that much more desperate.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:16:46 AM »
NDSU.

It would seem a loss by UNI would knock them out of playoff possibility.  They would be 1-4, with that win over a Division II school.  They could not get to 7 Division I wins.  That would leave the road to the playoffs as being:

(1) - Win the MVFC autobid - seemingly very hard to do with two losses and having already lost to YSU and NDSU.

(2) - Win out and there not be enough teams with 7 Division I wins to fill all the at-large bids

This shows that if you are going to play two FBS payday games, you cannot schedule a Division II team for your other non-conference game.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »
NDSU.

It would seem a loss by UNI would knock them out of playoff possibility.  They would be 1-4, with that win over a Division II school.  They could not get to 7 Division I wins.  That would leave the road to the playoffs as being:

(1) - Win the MVFC autobid - seemingly very hard to do with two losses and having already lost to YSU and NDSU.

(2) - Win out and there not be enough teams with 7 Division I wins to fill all the at-large bids

This shows that if you are going to play two FBS payday games, you cannot schedule a Division II team for your other non-conference game.
Correct Indy which, AGAIN, illustrates why you must play the Valpo's and Dayton's of the world instead of a real good D-2.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 12:45:05 PM »
I'm looking at the big picture here.  Beating NDSU again in Fargo will be difficult (but well within our capabilities.)  A UNI win next Saturday might be better for us.  Should we then fall to NDSU in two weeks, that would leave the three schools deadlocked in the league standings.  Should NDSU beat UNI and then beat us, we could wave goodbye to the autobid and the very high playoff seeding that will accompany it.

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »
My wishes are probably a weenie reason, but I will pull for NDSU. One more loss could knock UNI out of playoff contention, and I do not wish to see them again this year! They would probably beat most teams in FCS and I would rather have a easier team to meet in the playoffs. I know lame, but thats the way I feel. :)

GOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 02:51:22 PM »
My wishes are probably a weenie reason, but I will pull for NDSU. One more loss could knock UNI out of playoff contention, and I do not wish to see them again this year! They would probably beat most teams in FCS and I would rather have a easier team to meet in the playoffs. I know lame, but thats the way I feel. :)

GOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am right with you ...so I guess I am a weenie. The conference is deep this year & we can still go at least 3-deep. IF SIU turns things around sooner than later ...maybe 4. Right now, NDSU, ILS, YSU, and SDSU are in.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 03:45:45 PM »
I would like NDSU to win for two reasons. 1 - eliminate UNI from post season (barring the auto league pick). 2 - If they lose to UNI they will feel greater need to beat us.

I want NDSU to win but I think that UNI will win and it may not be close.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 04:24:34 PM »
Damn it, keep forgetting about the auto bid!! Oh well we will take care of that issue!!! Tried to make resevations in Frisco at Comfort Inn, but will not let us use points until 100 days prior to date........their my chickens and I AM gonna watch em hatch!! Never missed a NC game with the Guins and not starten now!!!

GOOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 04:51:46 PM »
My brother lives 10 minutes form the stadium in McKinney, Tx and there several Y-town transplants there.  They have Y-town parties where they order Wedgewood Pizza and Handels Ice Cream.  I plan on going to visit him if we make it to the big dance.  If this happens we can have a real tailgate party there!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 04:53:23 PM »
Damn it, keep forgetting about the auto bid!! Oh well we will take care of that issue!!! Tried to make resevations in Frisco at Comfort Inn, but will not let us use points until 100 days prior to date........their my chickens and I AM gonna watch em hatch!! Never missed a NC game with the Guins and not starten now!!!

You're going to San Francisco?  I thought the NC game was in Dallas?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 05:40:57 PM »

You're going to San Francisco?  I thought the NC game was in Dallas?

Sorry if you were being sarcastic ...but just in case, it is in Frisco, Texas. I to have relations that just moved to Texas. In need to see how far Fort Hood is from Frisco.

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 11:42:39 PM »
You got to hope for NDSU to win over UNI for every previously stated reason... UNI out of playoffs... NDSU not ticked and ready to turn it around... etc.  What's a more interesting question for me is WHO is GOING to win.

NDSU has got a great team and they are CERTAINLY going to make some noise as we get into conference play here.  However, I'm going to make a crazy claim here that might get me in trouble but I'm not so sure I'm ready to crown them conference champs. Not saying they will not be there at season end.  I'm just not so sure they are indesctructable just yet.  Their non-conference schedule was not the greatest.  Colorado St., there FBS opponent, is 1-3.  Robert Morris and Prairie View A&M are a total of 0-7.  Now they are coming up against a UNI team whose FBS opponents are a total of 5-3 (they were VERY competitive in both games) and who played a 4-0 YSU team down to the wire. I wouldn't be surprised to see the "upset."

Best Matchups for the game:
QB Brock Jenson vs. UNI Secondary - will he show the same efficiency he has through their first three games(against weaker secondaries) and put up big numbers/score points or will tougher competition cause some issues? Note: He has yet to throw an INT this season.

QB Sawyer Kollmorgan vs. NDSU D-line - I think NDSU's D-line has the firepower to get some pressure on the QB. Will Kollmorgan continue to step up and make plays or will the freshman make those first-year starter mistakes that typically happen when the blitz is effective?

UNI's Mark Farley vs. NDSU's Craig Bohl - 11th-year Farley leads the MVFC in conference wins. 10th-year Bohl has an overall 6-1 playoff record and is 5-3 against FBS teams during his tenure.  Both know how to win big games and both have been at the helm of their respective teams for a long time.  It all comes down to coaching...

And after all that, I'm going to hold off on a prediction for now.  This matchup is one you steer clear of cus its seems just too close to call...

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 01:09:12 PM »
You talking FRISCO?    us NDSU fans already have all the rooms booked and tickets bought.  good luck!!

hahaha................

NO, for real though, YSU should cheer for NDSU loud,   to set up a #1 v #3 matchup on HOMECOMING in FARGODOME   that will be EPIC!

cant wait!