Author Topic: YSU Football Fans  (Read 12423 times)

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
Re: YSU Football Fans
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 12:06:25 PM »
I am recruiting people to come sit with me behind the student section at the next home game.

Please reply here. 
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 02:07:53 PM »
Nice article guins4:

I think most of his questions are very difficult ...I know most of them (the South Range grad would have thrown me) but then again, I have followed YSU sports with this site for quite some time now ...21-years. Also I was a fan prior to that. As for Ed Puskas ...everyone (myself included) still thinks he works for the Trib. When he is on the by-line ...then people will know.

In general ...and maybe this is more for Joe Scalzo ...YSU is quite unique in college football. In that our fan base is not primarily students, or even predominantly students. In fact, the 500 to 1,000 fans that I see this year is the most in my 33-years as an active fan. The faculty section (which is where I sit, as my father is faculty) used to far outnumber the students, as they were required to attend under many previous presidents. You want to talk about people that never cheered?  LOL

So Joe, have you ever been to MaComb, IL? I have, it was a game held between academic sessions, and there were only player's families in attendance. Which means that only parents and students attend WIU football games. If you did the same thing at YSU ...there would only be about 1k of our fan-base missing. Ever been to a Pitt game besides YSU? I have. It was WVA, and they were ranked nationally at the time. Now as close at WVA is to Heinz Field (although I think it may not have been Heinz at that time) there were no WVA fans in attendance ...3-weeks ago at Heinz field, I cannot tell you how many people commented on how well YSU travels. Ever been to a Kent State game ...in Kent? I have. It was their second largest crowd ever, over 30k, and at least 2/3 of them were wearing read and white. The woman that I brought to the game is from Columbus, and she even commented on how many Guin faithful were there.

All that being said ...this is what makes Penguin football so great. There is no better place to be on a fall Saturday. Yes, they knit while watching ...have done so since their sons played peewee ball. They have the Buckeyes or Notre Dame game on their radios (understandable, yet unforgivable). They stay out in the tailgate lots & do not go into the games ...most have done so since it was at Fitch & you could watch the games from the parking lot. ------------------------- However they stand behind their program, they buy tickets, they brag about the team to their friends, they bring the best dang tailgate food anywhere. In short:

There really is no better place to be on a fall Saturday.

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
Lecter-If u promise not to get anyone thrown out or arrested ;D.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »
Lecter-If u promise not to get anyone thrown out or arrested ;D.

I sit in that area every game "the man" is always right behind the students section.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne