Author Topic: Defense  (Read 12366 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Defense
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 09:38:46 AM »
Good lord!! Enough already!! The Defense is alright and will step up when called upon  >:(

Bend don't break is all you can hope for these days with all the new offenses, talent and speed that's presented in football above the DII level.

Last time I check we've done well so far. Cincy gave up more yards at home to Pitt than we did at Pitt's home field.  Last week was an exhibition game with a whole lot of schemes and changes throughout the game.

How many yards did McNair throw for back in the day?? Bend don't break remember that!!  :o

Yes and it is still embarrassing to look up the NCAA records and see McNair's records ...and all of them were in one game ...against YSU ...which also is mentioned.    >:(

We can keep the trophy though  8)

I still remember Stoudt on ESPN/ABC doing the game. They were all raving about McNair ...Cliff says ..."I don't know what game game you guys are watching; but has anyone seen the score ..."

I'm not sure what's the embarracement is in that??? The most important stat is the score bottom line!!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 09:39:38 AM by ysubigred »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 09:52:01 AM »
Good lord!! Enough already!! The Defense is alright and will step up when called upon  >:(

Bend don't break is all you can hope for these days with all the new offenses, talent and speed that's presented in football above the DII level.

Last time I check we've done well so far. Cincy gave up more yards at home to Pitt than we did at Pitt's home field.  Last week was an exhibition game with a whole lot of schemes and changes throughout the game.

How many yards did McNair throw for back in the day?? Bend don't break remember that!!  :o

Cincy's D gave up 415 yards to Pitt

YSU gave up 369 yards to Pitt

Valpo got a whopping 190 yards against a slew of back up's, starters, etc.. I thought I seen Pete and Penny in for a series LOL!!

I'm still concerned about the offense believe it or not  ::)  Can they pull out a win in the last 2 minutes of a game like they COULD NOT last year  ??? We'll see but I'm confident they can but the "D" won't have them in that situation this year  ;)

Defense wins championships

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »
Valpo got a whopping 190 yards against a slew of back up's, starters, etc.. I thought I seen Pete and Penny in for a series LOL!!

I'm still concerned about the offense believe it or not  ::)  Can they pull out a win in the last 2 minutes of a game like they COULD NOT last year  ??? We'll see but I'm confident they can but the "D" won't have them in that situation this year  ;)

Funny on comment on Pete taking some reps.    ;D

I will mention that is was our defense that was the issue there as well Red. We let three different teams drive down the field in seconds to beat us. SDSU & MSU most notably. SIU was really bad as well, but we has too much of a lead, yet they almost came back on us.

I am not attacking the team, I just want to try and stay objective, and not get caught up in the Pitt win.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 11:43:44 AM »
Our safety during the Pitt game always went for the run fake which resulted in the receiver running buy him.
Fortunately their qb over threw the Pitt receivers. By comparison the Pitt safety had the same problem and Hess
also over threw our receivers. Btw both safeties from mooney.

Good post.

Offline KentStGuin15

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 12:35:49 PM »
No he is not correct, the Saftey was not playing out of position he was playing up to stop the run.

The S's assignment is to stop the run or force it inside if it is a run running play, or to drop in pass coverage if it's passing play. The sooner the safety can make the determination the better his chance to stop it, but he needs to make the read.

The S is supposed to key the end man on the line of scrimmage to determine the initial read to determine if they are running or passing. If they are passing and the defense is in man coverage the S needs to find his receiver.  If the defense is in zone then the S has to drop back into his zone as fast as he can and watch the receivers coming into the S's coverage area.

If the S reads a run, then his assignment is to either make the tackle, or force the run back to the inside so the rest of the team assist.  If the ball is run to the weak side of the defense  then the S needs to stay home to cover a reverse or counter.

YSUGO is correct, he was not in position.  Don't tell me how the DB's are supposed to cover.  I played the game of football  and I am a student of the game and I have some concerns.  It is not just about playing the run.  If he was playing the run then he made the reads incorrectly on multiple occasions.

Why is this so hard to you to understand? You game plan to the team you're playing
my god you just dont understand how football works do you? the Saftey has a game by game assignment, one day its to stop the run (like vs pitt) the other its to stop the pass (TBD) im not going to see it any other way because i know im 100% correct, you're 100% wrong. end of story. i really could'nt care less if you think you study the game, you clearly dont, i have 3 NC rings 2 as a starting DB, i think i know how football works.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 01:53:06 PM »

Funny on comment on Pete taking some reps.    ;D

I will mention that is was our defense that was the issue there as well Red. We let three different teams drive down the field in seconds to beat us. SDSU & MSU most notably. SIU was really bad as well, but we has too much of a lead, yet they almost came back on us.

I am not attacking the team, I just want to try and stay objective, and not get caught up in the Pitt win.

??? As the "D" gave up the lead in a few games last year... the ole' mighty offense had the ball last and could have drove down and won (MSU, SDSU) but failed. Bottom line: this is a new year new attitude and new team.  We'll be fine all the way around  :D ;D

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »
No he is not correct, the Saftey was not playing out of position he was playing up to stop the run.

The S's assignment is to stop the run or force it inside if it is a run running play, or to drop in pass coverage if it's passing play. The sooner the safety can make the determination the better his chance to stop it, but he needs to make the read.

The S is supposed to key the end man on the line of scrimmage to determine the initial read to determine if they are running or passing. If they are passing and the defense is in man coverage the S needs to find his receiver.  If the defense is in zone then the S has to drop back into his zone as fast as he can and watch the receivers coming into the S's coverage area.

If the S reads a run, then his assignment is to either make the tackle, or force the run back to the inside so the rest of the team assist.  If the ball is run to the weak side of the defense  then the S needs to stay home to cover a reverse or counter.

YSUGO is correct, he was not in position.  Don't tell me how the DB's are supposed to cover.  I played the game of football  and I am a student of the game and I have some concerns.  It is not just about playing the run.  If he was playing the run then he made the reads incorrectly on multiple occasions.

Why is this so hard to you to understand? You game plan to the team you're playing
my god you just dont understand how football works do you? the Saftey has a game by game assignment, one day its to stop the run (like vs pitt) the other its to stop the pass (TBD) im not going to see it any other way because i know im 100% correct, you're 100% wrong. end of story. i really could'nt care less if you think you study the game, you clearly dont, i have 3 NC rings 2 as a starting DB, i think i know how football works.

ok.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »

Cincy's D gave up 415 yards to Pitt

YSU gave up 369 yards to Pitt

Defense wins championships

You don't have to convince me LOL!! 

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 09:02:23 AM »
Pass rush concerns me.  Haven't seen YSU yet this year.  Will Tresey blitz a lot?  I love blitzes, especially cheese ones.  Oh wait.  That's BLINTZ  ,,  never mind.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!