Author Topic: Valpo thread!  (Read 21408 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Valpo thread!
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 10:20:16 PM »
Milanmiracle,

From reading your posts on the Valpo board, I know that you recognize the disparity between our programs and opposed this game.  I assure you that few YSU fans took any pleasure from what transpired today.  You might not know how nonscholarship FCS football started, and you might wish to share this with your Valpo colleagues.  You and everybody else in the Pioneer League is a victim of the most unjust decision that the NCAA ever formulated.  Several decades ago, Dayton dropped from scholarship to nonscholarship football, joined D3 where they belonged, and promptly won several national titles.  Other D3 schools cried like little girls, and the NCAA removed Dayton from D3 and created this farce called nonscholarship IAA (at the time) football.  The complaints from the whiners were that since Dayton played DI basketball they somehow had an advantage with their football program.  That was complete nonsense but the NCAA used it to justify this bogus classification.  This "Dayton rule" now maintains that schools that play DI basketball must place their football programs in DI, scholarship or not.  The hypocrisy of all this is that the NCAA allows exceptions for other sports.  D3 Johns Hopkins is allowed to play DI lacrosse.  D2 Ferris State and Duluth play DI hockey. 

As far as the size of the guarantee that YSU paid to Valpo, none of us know.  For whatever reason, the YSU administration guards the guarantee amounts for non-conference games like they were plans for the Manhattan Project.  If you guys find out on your end, please inform us.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:29:33 PM by Wick250 »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 10:28:52 PM »
Ysu payed Valpo between 70-80K for this game ad they are not on the schedule after this season

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2012, 08:48:45 AM »
For all of the misery Valpo basketball has given us over the years, I personally took great pleasure in the two thrashings we gave them and wish they were on the schedule again next year so we could do it again.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2012, 09:26:59 AM »
LIKE^^^^^^

Offline KentStGuin15

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »
For all of the misery Valpo basketball has given us over the years, I personally took great pleasure in the two thrashings we gave them and wish they were on the schedule again next year so we could do it again.

i dont i rather see a team that could help us better our playoff chances or playoff spot later in the year

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »

i dont i rather see a team that could help us better our playoff chances or playoff spot later in the year

As long as the Selection Committee is going to give these games equal weight to beating all other FCS teams, I am all for playing a game like this the week after the FBS money game.  Home game and a chance to get some guys some action.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »
And Indy is exactly right. The 1-AA powers that be would rather you play a crappy Valpo team because they're also 1-AA than an excellent D-2 team. So consider it done.

Offline KentStGuin15

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 05:38:57 AM »
And Indy is exactly right. The 1-AA powers that be would rather you play a crappy Valpo team because they're also 1-AA than an excellent D-2 team. So consider it done.

i doubt the powers that be prefer teams to play soft OOC schedules
its a mistake not playing better teams in OOC

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 07:18:59 AM »
It is all about getting to 7 Division I wins.  Valpo is better than the eventual Division II national champion in terms of getting you in the field.  Not in terms of getting better. 

This year it is easy to have a different take with a win over Pitt, but if you open with a loss to Michigan State then go out and lose to Montana and Delaware out of conference, you need to go 7-1 in conference.  Go out and beat Valpo and Stony Brook and all you need is 5-3.  I agree its stupid, but App State and Montana last weekend is the exception.

The other consideration is that if YSU wants 6 home games a year and wants to play a FBS team for a paycheck, then both other OOC teams have to be at home.  Quality FCS full scholarship teams are not going to agree to a one year contract at YSU as they are facing the same situation.

A 24 team playoff field may some day result in a team with less than 7 Division I wins getting an at large bid - but until that happens we are going to see more of the same.

Offline KentStGuin15

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2012, 09:34:03 AM »
It is all about getting to 7 Division I wins.  Valpo is better than the eventual Division II national champion in terms of getting you in the field.  Not in terms of getting better. 

This year it is easy to have a different take with a win over Pitt, but if you open with a loss to Michigan State then go out and lose to Montana and Delaware out of conference, you need to go 7-1 in conference.  Go out and beat Valpo and Stony Brook and all you need is 5-3.  I agree its stupid, but App State and Montana last weekend is the exception.

The other consideration is that if YSU wants 6 home games a year and wants to play a FBS team for a paycheck, then both other OOC teams have to be at home.  Quality FCS full scholarship teams are not going to agree to a one year contract at YSU as they are facing the same situation.

A 24 team playoff field may some day result in a team with less than 7 Division I wins getting an at large bid - but until that happens we are going to see more of the same.

where does anybody get this bogus Idea it has to be a DII team? why does this keep getting brought up? id rather take the chance of losing and playing a potential playoff team and getting battle tested then possibly losing a star player to a season ending injury vs what is pretty much a DIII School

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2012, 02:22:36 PM »
Indy, save your breath. He doesn't get it.