Author Topic: Larry Johnson R.  (Read 4248 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Larry Johnson R.
« on: September 03, 2012, 09:10:00 PM »
Seems like we got an extra B-ball recruit for this year in 6-5 Larry Johnson Jr. from Michigan.  He is the son of the same Larry Johnson that played for those great UNLV teams in the 1990's and former NBA player. Click on the YSU b-ball roster and click the empty picture boxes and his profile shows up.  Interesting.  Does anyone know if he is any good?

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Larry Johnson R.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:16:24 PM »
I did find this.  Spent a year in prep school and a year at Rend Lake College, a junior college in Southern Illinois

http://thesouthern.com/sports/former-nba-star-s-son-waiting-for-his-chance-at/article_c0bdbbae-33dd-11e1-b596-0019bb2963f4.html

Sometime this season, Rend Lake College men's basketball coach Randy House will be able to add another player to an already potent squad when Larry Johnson Jr. comes off the injured list.

Johnson is the son of former NBA Rookie of the Year Larry Johnson, who was drafted first overall by the Charlotte Hornets and later played for the New York Knicks.

"Larry comes from a good bloodline," House said. "He is a little smaller than his dad (6-foot-6), but despite being 6-3, he is very solid in the post. He led us in scoring a couple games during the jamborees. He's going to have to get back into shape so he can run the floor and rebound to help us."

Johnson was the starting power forward during the pre-season jamborees.

"I sprained my right foot in practice when one of my teammates fell on my foot," Johnson said. "My whole frame of mind getting back on the court is to win. If they need me to score or play defense or rebound and just hustle, I will do whatever they need me to do to continue winning.

"I'm tough, physical and have good inside moves," Johnson said. "I'm quicker than guys bigger than me and I usually play stronger. I watch a lot of highlights of my dad and Charles Barkley and I play like them."

Johnson is from Detroit where he played for West Bloomfield High School.

"I've been playing basketball since I was 5," he said. "My sophomore year in high school, I was elevated to the varsity during the playoffs, but sat on the bench mostly. My junior year, the coach would only play the seniors, so I only played when they needed a break. My senior year, I was averaging 17 points and 12 rebounds the first three games when I got benched for five games by the coach for dunking. The suspension worked. I never dunked again that season."

Last year, he played for Fishburne Military School in Waynesboro, Va.

"I decided to got to Fishburne in order to get some exposure to play against some of the top players," Johnson said. "It was also a different style at Fishburne. Under coach Ed Huckaby, if you didn't dunk or attempt to when you were around the rim, you were soft."

It was at Fishburne where Johnson would meet and play with his future Warriors teammate Ameer Weeks and two players who play at SIU.

"Ameer told me Rend Lake was a good experience and I should go with him," Johnson said. "I had Division I schools talking to me, but they were picky about recruiting me because I'm a shorter (6-3) power forward. They went with someone taller even though I was better. I also had five Division II offers, but didn't want to go that route."

The senior Johnson started his collegiate career playing for Odessa College in Texas where he was named Junior College Player of the Year his sophomore season. He then signed with the University of Nevada-Las Vegas to play for Jerry Tarkanian.

"All through high school, my dad wanted me to come to UNLV and I could have walked on at Michigan State," Johnson said. "But I wanted to get a scholarship and do it myself, so that's why I went to prep school and eventually signed with Rend Lake because Coach House would push me and make me a better player.

"My goals are to follow my dad's path and achievements. I expect to be junior college Player of the Year and then I could still try to go to UNLV or Michigan State, but I also want to try SIU because I know Coach Lowery real well. He would come to Fishburne and watch us all the time. In fact, two of my friends, Harry Whitt and Antonio Bryer, play for him now."

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Larry Johnson R.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:17:56 PM »
I no longer see Larry Johnson Jr. On the roster?