Author Topic: Men's basketball schedule finalized  (Read 10235 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's basketball schedule finalized
« on: August 24, 2012, 01:52:11 PM »
http://www.ysusports.com/sports/mbkb/2012-13/schedule

Date   Opponent   Notes/Media   Result   Time/Status
November   
Sat   10    at George Washington          TBA   
Mon   12    at Georgia          7:00 PM   
Fri   16    SAINT FRANCIS (PA.)          TBA   
Mon   19    vs. North Dakota State    at Duquesne University       4:30 PM   
Tue   20    vs. James Madison    at Duquesne University       4:30 PM   
Wed   21    at Duquesne          7:00 PM   
Wed   28    KENT STATE          TBA   
December   
Sat   1    at Bowling Green          TBA   
Thu   6    GENEVA          TBA   
Sat   8    HIRAM          TBA   
Tue   18    at South Fla.          TBA   
Fri   21    at Bethune-Cookman          7:00 PM   
Sat   29    MARYGROVE          TBA   
January   
Wed   2    at UIC *          TBA   
Sat   5    at Loyola *          TBA   
Thu   10    DETROIT *          TBA   
Thu   17    at Green Bay *          TBA   
Sat   19    at Milwaukee *          TBA   
Wed   23    WRIGHT STATE *          TBA   
Sat   26    CLEVELAND STATE *          TBA   
Wed   30    VALPARAISO *          TBA   
February   
Fri   1    at Detroit *          TBA   
Tue   5    at Cleveland State *          TBA   
Thu   7    LOYOLA *          TBA   
Sun   10    UIC *          TBA   
Fri   15    MILWAUKEE *          TBA   
Sun   17    GREEN BAY *          TBA   
Sat   23    TBD          TBA   
Tue   26    at Valparaiso *          TBA   
March   
Sat   2    at Wright State *          TBA

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's basketball schedule finalized
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 01:56:28 PM »
The non-conference home schedule is really unappealing.  I understand the need to fill two games because of Butler leaving the Horizon League late and tO$U cancelling a game, but three sub-Division I games is not good, period.

I have never heard of Marygrove College.  NAIA school in Detroit that appears to be about 10 short blocks from UDM.  Founded by the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (IHM) in 1927.

Playing games at SEC, A10 (twice) and Big East teams is great and will certainly help the non-conference strength of schedule, but selling tickets is going to be hard with this schedule.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 03:43:29 PM »
Agreed Indy, but in defense of the staff, they worked around the clock for weeks trying to get games (specifically home games) and people won't play here for two reasons: 1) we don't pay much in guarantees compared to bigger bkb schools budgets, and 2) we're halfway decent now so teams can't just plan on waltzing out of here with a sure "W".

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »
I have been a season ticket holder since the renovation of the gym (1982?) but this is the final insult for me.  Unless they offer a deep discount that basically gives those December junk games away for free, I will not renew.  I accept what IP just posted.  My response is this: if you cannot schedule real basketball teams at home, just play a bunch of road games for some kind of paycheck and stop embarrassing the fan base.

Here is what I plan to do.  A few days before the home season begins, I will go to the ticket office and buy tickets for individual games for St. Francis, Kent State and the entire league schedule.  I refuse to pay anything for that December junk.  When the annoyed office staffer (are there any other kind at the YSU ticket office?) asks me why I don't just buy season tickets, I will unload verbally with both barrels.  If you have the time and patience, I recommend that you follow my example.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 04:12:38 PM »
Valpo's home games:  Georgia Southern' Northern Illinois; Chicago State; either Bethune Cookman or Nebraska-Omaha; IPFW; IUPUI and Purdue-Calumet

They have several tough road games this year and reportedly get return games at home in 2013-14 from Murray State; New Mexico, St. Louis and Oakland.

IP - I completely understand what you are saying and how we got here.  Just disappointing that something else couldn't work.  Not having the Bracket Buster return game from Austin Peay this year hurts the schedule as well.  My guess is Bowling Green is the only road game this year that is a likely return game at home next season.

It also appears we got tired of losing to Robert Morris?  I don't know what is more embarassing - continually losing to them or not playing them.  Also no Zippy the Rat this year either.

Wick - if I am going to see a game this year, looks like it would be Marygrove.  Sigh.  We may be back in town the weekend of the SIU football game - not sure if we will get a chance to head up.  Want to, but its a quick turnaround and lots of family to see while we are back. 

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 05:08:40 PM »
Indy, the BG game is return for them playing us here in bracketbuster two years ago. Zippy doesn't want to play here. The Austin Peay game not being this year did hurt. They'll play here next year along with Bethune Cookman's return game. Also, as mentioned elsewhere, Butthole's late departure didn't help either. Wick, I understand your frustration, but we are playing Georgia, George Washington, and South Florida on the road. The kids deserve to have some home games. Just really tough to schedule right now without paying more. Indy, we could never get New Mexico, St Louis or those types to play here with what we offer financially. Those teams aren't coming here for short money AND a potential loss.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 05:19:40 PM »
I agree with WICK - the home schedule of Hiram, Genova and Marygrove is a disgrace!!! What are they? Div 3 opponents? Other teams in the league get reputable Div 1 teams, but YSU ever year loads up with Div 2 & Div 3 teams for the home games.

What a slap in the face for the home town fans; no wonder the students don't attend even with free tickets. :'(

The away schedule is good, but we probably won't see Geo. Washington, Duquesne or any of their likes at YSU.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 05:46:25 PM »
Home schedule is a complete joke.  Athletic dept to blame. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 05:50:55 PM »
I hope some of these non-conference away games we get as return home games in 2013-14.  If not then heads should roll starting with MR. STROLLO.   Good luck selling tickets with that schedule.   

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 05:56:51 PM »
I dont understand the rationale for playing these opponents 8 games into the season?  I think Slippery Rock or someone like that makes more sense than a small private school from Detroit...  To think of all the Division 1 programs within a 6 hour drive and this is the schedule is amazing...  This isnt just 2012-13 season either.....  Its been an ongoing problem.  Do you think they are actively scheduling for next year?  The athletic department seems to be reactive rather than proactive..?

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »
IP, what do we pay to a visiting team? How does that compare to schools @ the mid major level?
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »
IP, what do we pay to a visiting team? How does that compare to schools @ the mid major level?
Well, Go, as an example--Akron is given approx $400k to buy home games in any given season and I think our budget is around $30k. Cleveland St is using three times that to buy a home game against Alabama A&M, I believe. There are D-1 schools that will play here, but, again, we need the money to pay them. Basketball just isn't a priority at YSU. As far as which small schools we do play, (somebody mentioned Slippery Rock), they are usually scheduled as a last resort, and many already have set schedules by then so you get what you can. Believe me, the staff doesn't necessarily want to schedule 3 non D-1 games, but this year was the perfect storm of Butler's late departure, Austin Peay not returning the bracketbuster game this year, and, most importantly, a small budget for purchasing games. I think next year's schedule will be alot better. Bottom line--this will be a good team, come out and support them. The schedule isn't their fault.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2012, 01:21:55 PM »
I hate to return to the "dead horse," but there is money available for basketball guarantees and other needed things.  Unfortunately, the Strollo administration will never access it.  We have now reached the astonishing total of six assistant athletic directors.  If you do not believe me, go to the university web site and confirm this.  Each year we waste tens of thousands of dollars in salaries and benefits on these superfluous administrators.  Meanwhile, we are told that we must play garbage like Hiram and Geneva because we lack the funds to give guarantees to real basketball teams.  Madness!  To be fair, Tressel began this process of empire-building, but Strollo has expanded administrative turf like some freakin' Spanish conquistador!  Expect a shabby athletic department until we place less emphasis upon "suits" and more emphasis upon "sweats." 

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 01:46:07 PM »
My response is this: if you cannot schedule real basketball teams at home, just play a bunch of road games for some kind of paycheck and stop embarrassing the fan base.
I agree.  No way do I want to watch 2 or 3 games that they should win by 40 points.  Play a couple of payday games at Big Ten schools instead. 

HorizonLeagueFan

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2012, 02:26:09 PM »
Well, Go, as an example--Akron is given approx $400k to buy home games in any given season and I think our budget is around $30k.

There is no way in hell Akron is paying $400K for a basketball game.  That is the kind of money a BCS football team pays for a buy game.  Ohio State pays $50-60K for a basketball game.  UC, Xavier, and Dayton were offering $40-50K for buy games this year.  CSU and WSU offer $30-40K for buy games.