Author Topic: Saturday's Scrimmage is Closed to Public  (Read 3602 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Saturday's Scrimmage is Closed to Public
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:34:02 AM »
Just so everyone knows, this Saturday's scrimmage is closed to the public ...

The Youngstown State football team worked out twice on Wednesday. The Penguins had a solid two-hour practice in full pads in the morning then worked out in helmets later in the afternoon.

During the morning session, YSU went through individual drills for nearly an hour then spent a long team period with the offense going against the defense. On the first play, Andrew Williams caught an 80-yard touchdown pass. YSU also spent a good amount of time on live special teams situations during the workout.

In the afternoon session, the units practiced in just helmets. Once again the Penguins worked on individual drills and had a 25-minute team period.

Head Coach Eric Wolford said YSU is working on more installation of plays and formations this week. Also he said backup quarterback Patrick Angle is getting a good portion of the work with the No. 1 unit. Wolford also said most positions have been solid but was looking for a little more consistency from the wide receivers and the secondary.

In the morning session the Guins' offense performance pleased Wolford he said.

YSU will hold a 10 a.m. practice on Thursday before returning for two sessions on Friday.

Please not that Saturday morning's scrimmage at Stambaugh Stadium is closed to the general public. The Penguins appreciate your cooperation in the matter.

Season and individual game tickets are available by calling the YSU Athletic Ticket Office at (330) 941-1978.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:36:29 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Saturday's Scrimmage is Closed to Public
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »
Fan,

You'll have to borrow Tim May's press pass, so you can come up tomorrow.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 07:58:28 AM »
Heard from a very reliable source in Georgia that Pitt was scouting our practices.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »
I was at the scrimmage. A few things I noticed:

1. By YSU standards ...we are stacked at receivers ...and not just WR. TE's, X, and RB's as well. If Wheary is not red-shirted ...you will really like him. He can be another Bryant. Caver looks great as well. Disher looks about 2" taller than last year. JUCO Antuan Williams looks like an over-achiever ...could be something special.

2. You will not even recognize Angle. He looks like he grew, and he reads much better ...deeper and quicker. Very good stroke on the pass.

3. Kicking looked very good both times I have visited this summer. Brown looking better than ever ...as is Liste. Liste is leaning much further back & getting real height on the ball. The most hang-time yet. Coverage was always blown dead before it did much more than develop ...but I am still not impressed. Both times the return man was whistled down off of a touch in the back ...in a real game that would be a huge gain.

4. Hymes, Belamy, and Pace seeing most reps at tail. Unlike last week ...Pace looked very tough yesterday. The kid from Farrell adds a different style of running & he has hands. So he may not red-shirt, as this adds a nice weapon for Hess. Needs to bulk-up if he plans on a career at x-back or TE. He is not the 200lbs he is listed at.

5. People must still be playing for positions, as it seemed like the hitting was fierce at times.

6. That Kyle Bryant (transfer from BG) is not as fat as I expected for 310lbs ...Extremely tall.

7. The LB out of Ravenna looks like a nice pick-up. Does anyone know anything about him? Why is he a soph? Maybe an injury with no medical year? Maybe I missed him last year?

I took video of these guys and more. I am just learning video so it may be the weekend. I can tell it looks bad already.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:57:42 PM by IAA Fan »