Author Topic: Men's basketball playing at Georgia?  (Read 4135 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's basketball playing at Georgia?
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:28:34 PM »
Based on a Twitter conversation between Kam Belin Ryan Weber and Blake Allen it appears YSU is playing at Georgia on November 12

It appears this would be in the Legends Classic - tournament where the hosts automatically advance to the finals in Brooklyn regardless of who wins in the subregionals.  12 teams at four sites (Georgia, Indiana, UCLA and Georgetown) would seem to mean we play two games in Georgia, then come play some of the other tournament teams at a campus site?

IP - do you have any more details that you can talk about?

So first two games - Nov 10 @George Washington, Nov 12 @Georgia

Cinco ‏@web_KAM
“@BA813: @web_KAM we play them??” Yes son

5h Blake Allen ‏@BA813
@web_KAM first of all I'm daddy...is this our first game??or do we still play George Washington first??

5h Cinco ‏@web_KAM
@BA813 lmao haha we play GW first still on Saturday then Monday UGA

5h Ryan Weber ‏@Ryweb33
@web_KAM @BA813 whaaaaat we for real play Georgia?

5h Cinco ‏@web_KAM
@Ryweb33 Yup👍

@web_KAM we play them??
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 10:30:46 PM by ysuindy »

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's basketball playing at Georgia?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 01:08:50 AM »
Indy---this is all news to me. I know they've been having a terrible time scheduling, especially since needing 2 additional games after Butthole bolted.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:58:13 PM »
This is a 12 team tournament at the four sites.  Meaning there are 8 more teams to announce.

6 of the teams were announced in May - it appears YSU is the 7th, leaving one more team.

http://www.sicemdawgs.com/2012/05/six-travel-teams-revealed-for-2012-legends-classic/

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18787724/2012-13-comprehensive-early-season-events-list

Duquesne –
North Dakota State –
James Madison –
Liberty –
UC Irvine –
Sam Houston State –

This is the tournament where Cleveland State beat Vanderbilt last year.

Format seems to be that YSU and one other school will play at Georgia.

While the 4 name schools go to Brooklyn, the other 8 schools gather at two sites and play a round robin at those sites (3 games).  Last year Bucknell and Rhode Island were the hosts.  In 2010 Detroit and William & Mary hosted.  Therefore after playing at Georgia, YSU will play 3 games from a group of the 6 schools above plus one other school. 

This tournament has had some Division II (or lower) schools before to fill out the bracket - hopefully that doesn't happen this year.

It appears this is an "exempt" tournament, although I am not entirely sure that this means these days, other than the opportunity to play extra games during the season.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »
I came across the following website that shows many D1 programs looking for Home/Home games including YSU:

http://www.basketballtravelers.com/game-schedule-board/?e_type=1

Its kind of interesting as many schools are in the same boat as YSU looking to fill various dates. 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 06:54:14 PM »
According to GENEVA COLLEGE athletic website they are playing in Youngstown December 31