Author Topic: Three Penguins Earn All-Star Nods in Summer Season  (Read 3006 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Three Penguins Earn All-Star Nods in Summer Season
« on: July 23, 2012, 02:48:29 PM »
Three Youngstown State baseball players have earned all-star team nods in their respective summer leagues to highlight an impressive season for Penguins across the Northeast.

Drew Dosch has been named the starting designated hitter for the West Division in the Cape Cod Baseball League All-Star Game, which will take place on Saturday. YSU pitchers Nic Manuppelli and Kevin McCulloh have already participated in all-star events.

Dosch has had a very solid season for the Falmouth Commodores in the Cape Cod League, which is widely regarded as one of the top summer leagues in the country. He is currently batting .311 with five home runs, 17 RBIs and 19 runs scored while ranking 15th in the circuit in slugging percentage. Dosch, who will be a junior in the Penguins' 2013 season, was named the league's Coca Cola Player of the Week on July 4.

Manuppelli was named to the all-star team in the New England League and struck out all three batters he faced in the ninth inning of the all-star game. Manuppelli, pitching for the Laconia Muskrats, leads the New England League with his eight saves in 12 appearances. He has struck out 17 batters while walking five in 11 innings. Manuppelli will be a junior in 2013.

McCulloh, a Valley League all-star for the Rockbridge Rapids, ranks second in the league with six savs. The Boardman High graduate has 28 strikeouts and five walks in 19 2-3 innings while posting a 3.20 ERA. McCulloh, a senior in the 2013 season, also has earned two victories in his 16 appearances.

A brief summary of other Penguins playing in summer leagues follows:

Kevin Hix - Batting .274 with 17 runs and 12 RBIs in 25 games for the Adirondack Trail Blazers in the New York League... Has 11 hits in his last 28 at bats dating back to July 9.

Ryan Krokos - Is 1-2 with three saves and a 4.91 ERA in 18 1/3 innings for the Adirondack Trail Blazers in the New York League... Has made 12 appearances out of the bullpen while making one start... Has struck out 14 batters and walked eight... Has not allowed a run over his last 5 2/3 innings.

Phil Lipari - Batting .320 with 31 runs and 10 steals for the Staunton Braves in the Valley League... Has played in 29 games, 25 of which he's started... Has recorded six doubles, a triple and three home runs.

Josh North - Is 1-0 with a 6.00 ERA in 21 innings pitching for the Stark County Terriers in the Great Lakes League... Has pitched in 10 games, one of which he's started... Has struck out 23 batters and walked 10.

Pat Shedlock - Is 1-0 with a 6.33 ERA pitching for the West Virginia Miners of the Prospect League... Has pitched in 21 1/3 innings over nine games, two of which he started... Has 15 strikeouts and nine walks.

Jason Shirley – Is playing for the playing for the Berkley Hills Renegades in the Johnstown AAABA League... No stats available.

Brad Smith – Has pitched in seven games out of the bullpen for the Wellsville Nitros of the New York League... Has not factored in a decision and has a 9.39 ERA in 7 2/3 inning

Padraic Williams – Went 3-for-18 for the Staunton Braves in the Valley League before returning to campus for summer classes.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Three Penguins Earn All-Star Nods in Summer Season
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »
Nice story on Columbus area players in the Cape Cod League, including YSU's Drew Dosch

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/canalwinchester/sports/2012/07/24/wooden-bat-baseball-area-players-impacting-cape-cod-league.html

Former central Ohio high school standouts are making an impact in what many consider to be the country's premier wooden-bat amateur summer baseball league.

Playing in the Cape Cod Baseball League are Drew Dosch (Canal Winchester), Michael O'Neill (Olentangy Liberty) and Jared King (Dublin Jerome) for the Falmouth Commodores and Josh Dezse (Liberty) and Mike Mayers (Grove City) for the Bourne Braves.

All five graduated in 2010 and are competing at the Division I college level.

"It's been really cool," said Dosch, who plays third base at Youngstown State. "I played with Jared and Michael growing up for the Columbus Cobras, and I played with Jared again in high school (summer ball).

"It's been a great experience seeing people you played with or against all throughout your career as a little kid through high school. Now, to be here in one of the best leagues in the country is really cool knowing we all came from the same team when we were 12 or 13."

O'Neill, an outfielder at Michigan, and Dosch are rooming together with the same host family.

"I knew that Jared was coming out here," O'Neill said. "I didn't know that Drew was. Jared and I were sitting at our lockers and Drew walked through the door, and then I came to find out that Drew would be my roommate and Jared lives down the street. We always see each other and hit in the same (batting practice) group."

Through July 16, Falmouth was in second place in the league's Western Division, thanks in part to its three central Ohioans. Through 27 games, Dosch was hitting .330 with four home runs, 14 RBI and 18 runs. O'Neill had played in 26 games, batting .248 with four homers, 13 RBI and 20 runs.

King, an outfielder at Kansas State, was hitting .308 with three homers, seven RBI and 18 runs in 25 games for Falmouth. Dosch and King were tied for the team lead with 33 hits.

Bourne was fifth in the five-team Western Division through July 16. Dezse was 0-1 with a 3.18 ERA and two saves, and he had two homers and eight RBI in 39 at-bats. In 19 innings, Mayers was 0-2 with a 4.26 ERA. He had 29 strikeouts and five walks.

Having this kind of talent from one area competing in the same summer league is impressive, according to Dosch.

"I would say it's rare, but at the same time Ohio, especially Columbus, is such a great place for sports growing up," he said. "That's one of the things we benefited from was playing against great competition."

That level of competition goes back to travel baseball before the players were in high school and wasn't limited to central Ohio, said Mayers, a right-handed pitcher at Mississippi.

"I just think that our class was really strong in baseball," he said. "We have us five from central Ohio and a couple kids (from around the state) throughout the league. I think our class as a whole in the state of Ohio was maybe one of the better ones.

"It's awesome that we all grew up playing against each other and it's cool to be in one of the best places to play baseball and still competing."

Going up against talent not even collectively found in the Big Ten Conference can be beneficial, according to Dezse, a right-handed pitcher and first baseman at Ohio State.

"If you want to get drafted (by a major league team), you need to come play at the Cape," he said. "These guys, every one of them, will probably have a chance to go play pro ball. That's what's crazy. Every night you see a pitcher who throws hard and you see hitters who can hit a home run every game.

"It's the best of the best here and to make yourself better you have to face them. Every time I toe the rubber or step in the batter's box, I know I'm facing the best. It's very challenging, but at the same time, it's fun. The fans are always there and the scouts pack the stands."

O'Neill has the benefit of being able to lean from time to time on his uncle, former Reds and Yankees outfielder Paul O'Neill.

"Any time you have a resource like him, you have to use it, and I have," Michael O'Neill said. "Whether it's talking about a bad game or driving down to Cincinnati to hit for a few days, that's what I do.

"I don't want to get any opportunities that someone else wouldn't get just because he's my uncle, but I'd be crazy not to draw from his experiences."

The experience of playing in the Cape Cod League will be invaluable because it's similar to what professional players experience, Dosch said.

"In school you go through a daily grind of class, maybe lifting and then the field, whereas up here you're playing every day. You can wake up and do whatever, but you have to be at the field by about 3 o'clock for BP," he said. "You're living what it would be like to be a professional baseball player. It's a really great experience to go through the daily grind, finding out what it takes to be a baseball player at a higher level. We're trying to make it to the next level and that's a great experience."

The regular season is scheduled to end Aug. 7 with playoffs to follow, including a championship best-of-three series beginning Aug. 15.