Author Topic: Detroit pulls scholarship from incoming freshman  (Read 8080 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Detroit pulls scholarship from incoming freshman
« on: June 14, 2012, 11:19:07 PM »
From reading various twitter reports Detroit oversigned their basketball class and pulled the scholarship of Indianapolis Warren Central 6-8 PF Brent Calhoun.

I can think of a place he can play at and make Detroit suffer.

Have to think its going to be very hard for McCallum to recruit around Indy after this.

Brandon Ramsey ‏@INrecruitguide
Cant believe you back out of a LOI in June! Feel bad for Brent Calhoun, but he will land on his feet elsewhere. Hope he makes the most of it

Hoosier Hoops Report ‏@HHR_Reamer
Friend of mine DM’d me: He will be alright! I got schools blowing me up right now. Detroit will suffer for this one.

GoldandBlack.com ‏@GoldandBlackcom
Detroit stiffed Brent Calhoun. Brural RT @HHR_Reamer: If you’re a college coach breaking LOIs to kids, kind of tough to come around again."

N.D. Kendrick ‏@NDkendrick
Detroit did 2012 commit Brent Calhoun of Warren Central (IN) dirty! He will re-open his recruitment. He was loyal, they were not. Bad look!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit pulls scholarship from incoming freshman
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 11:53:13 AM »
Let's see.  Thirteen scholarships.  Yep, that is confusing.  Easy to see how McCallum lost track.  I wonder how many Horizon League teams are operating below the scholarship limit?  Probably not many.  We could have a distinct advantage here.  Here is the recruiting pitch: Hey Brent, want to play against McCallum, and his kid, twice a year?

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 01:57:05 PM »
Wick - Detroit announced earlier this week they took a transfer from Michigan.  Guess where the scholarship came from.  Calhoun had been an academic question but says he met the requirements but in the end, he wasn't admitted to UDM (but apparently not until after they got the commit last week from the UM transfer).

Calhoun was a fall signee and a really early commit to Detroit if I recall correctly.

I have never seen the kid play.  There have been some D1 players come through Warren recently, including  Walter Offutt who landed at Ohio U after stops at Ohio State and Wright State.  Warren is the top stop for recruiters for football in Indiana - Shakir Bell of Indiana State went to Warren Central but they regularly have several BCS level players.  I hope we are at least poking around.

Here is today's Indy Star story

http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/2012/06/15/warren-centrals-calhoun-on-detroit-situation/

Warren Central graduate Brent Calhoun expected to leave for school on June 25, embarking on his college basketball career at the University of Detroit. Instead, Calhoun found out Thursday that he’ll be looking for a new school while many of his basketball-playing peers have already arrived on campus or will in the next few weeks.

The following is how Calhoun explained what happened in the last few days. In the interest of full disclosure, this is one side of the story, from Calhoun and his former summer travel coach, Pat Mullin.

Calhoun committed to Detroit last fall and signed in the early signing period in November. There were some academic concerns originally, Calhoun admits, but he said he raised his grade-point average, cleared the NCAA qualifications and achieved the required test scores.

It appeared, according to Calhoun, that it was all systems go. And then, last week, he attempted to call the Detroit coaches. For three days, he heard nothing.

“I tried calling and calling again,” he said. “I was trying to find out when I was supposed to come (to campus).”

Calhoun said he finally told on Monday that he was not accepted to Detroit because his GPA was lacking. According to the school’s web site, this is the criteria for incoming freshmen:

“Admission to the University of Detroit Mercy is selective. Each student who applies is given an individual evaluation. Factors considered in making admission decisions include, but are not limited to, the following:
*    Academic performance
*    Activities and interests
*    ACT or SAT test results
*    Educational goals

Our admissions committee gives full consideration to all graduates of an accredited high school or recipients with acceptable scores on the General Education Development Test (GED).”

Calhoun said he was told by the coaches at that point that there were appealing the decision to school administrators. Then on Thursday, Calhoun was told that the appeal was denied. He said the Detroit coaches pitched the idea of coming to Detroit after a year of prep school or junior college. Calhoun wasn’t interested – and confused. Later on Thursday, he took note that Detroit picked up a 2012 commitment from Michigan transfer Carlton Brundidge. According to the Detroit Free Press, Brundidge actually made his decision on June 7, a week before it became public.

“I’m looking at it like, ‘All of a sudden they tell me I’m not qualified and then they get another commitment a few hours later?’” Calhoun said. “I had no idea this would happen.”

Mullin, his coach with the Eric Gordon Central Stars, said he never heard from Detroit’s coaches since he committed last fall, but were in contact during his recruitment.

“The whole thing seems really odd,” Mullin said. “We didn’t hear anything from the Detroit coaches.”

Mullin said he hoped to get more clarification on the situation Friday.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 09:05:46 PM »
Welcome to YSU young man!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 09:46:57 PM »
I still think we could use an interior player.  Six-eight would do nicely!

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
Based on twitter reports, he has visited Niagara, IPFW and Grand Valley.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »
We have 4 incoming players, do we have any full scholarships available for Brent Calhoun?

HorizonLeagueFan

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 01:25:29 PM »
You don't want him.  Detroit dropped him because he isn't good enough to play in the HL.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 02:59:14 PM »
I was told he wasn't even on our radar, then or now.