Author Topic: Over 4,500 Show for Penguins Final Home Game of 2012  (Read 5100 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Over 4,500 Show for Penguins Final Home Game of 2012
« on: May 15, 2012, 06:27:39 PM »
Niles, Ohio -- The Youngstown State baseball team was held to two hits over the final eight innings, and Pittsburgh used a four-run sixth to defeat the Penguins 5-2 in front of more than 4,600 fans at Eastwood Field on Tuesday.

YSU and Mahoning Valley Scrappers, the Short Season Class-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians, partnered to host the special school day game for Youngstown-area students. It was the second consecutive year for the event, and the number of students more than doubled from last year.

The Penguins got three strong innings from starter Patrick O'Brien, and they led 1-0 after the first inning. YSU, though, did not get another hit until the seventh, and Pitt led 5-1 by that time.

David Leon was hit by a pitch - the fifth time in two games - to start the first for YSU, and he was safe at second on a throwing error by Pitt pitcher Alex Caravella. Drew Dosch grounded into a double play, but Jeremy Banks brought in Leon with a single to left. Marcus Heath then ripped the first pitch of his at bat to the wall in left, and Banks was thrown out at the plate to end the inning.

O'Brien, making his first start in more than a month, worked around a one-out triple in the second inning and handed the ball off to the bullpen with the lead through three innings. Pitt immediately tied the score behind two singles and a wild pitch in the fourth off Ryan Krokos, and the Panthers tacked on four runs on four hits in the sixth to go up 5-1. Evan Oswald and Anthony Defabio both had two-run singles in the inning, Defabio's coming after there were two outs.

David Saluga's one-out single in the seventh inning off reliever J.R. Leonardi broke up YSU's hitless skid, and Lipari scored from third in the eighth when Dosch got caught in a rundown between first and second.

Three Panthers finished with two hits, and they posted 10 as a team. Four different Penguins had hits.

Caravella allowed just the two first-inning hits and walked two while striking out seven in six innings to earn his fourth win. Krokos was tagged with the loss, allowing five runs on seven hits in 2 2-3 innings. The redshirt freshman had strikeouts for five of the eight outs he recorded. Blake Aquadro toss 2 1-3 shutout innings of relief, and Russ Harless added one.

Youngstown State will finish up the regular season with a three-game series at Valparaiso Thursday through Saturday. Thursday's contest will begin at 4 p.m. Eastern.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Over 4,500 Show for Penguins Final Home Game of 2012
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:46:51 PM »
Promotions like this are great.  Kudos to YSU and the Scrappers.  These games are a staple in minor league baseball (Indianapolis had their game last week).  With the short season for the Scrappers they can't host one, so to do it with YSU is fantastic.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »
Found this on Twitter.

Prep Baseball Report ‏ @prepbaseball
OH: Youngstown State recruit Wynston McMartin sits 85-88 and touches up to 90 mph in the loss to Pickerington Central.

Lets hope McMartin can help starting next year.

Found this from late April

New Albany High School pitcher Wynston McMartin has helped himself more often than not this spring with an improved performance at the plate.

He’s hoping all the extra work he’s put in for the Eagles baseball team will help him ace his senior seminar project as well.

“It’s a class all of its own, and it’s about what we’re going to do in college,” said McMartin, who has signed to play at Youngstown State. “I love baseball, so I figured that would be the way to go for this assignment. I started last August, and I’ve put in over 100 hours on it so far.

“It has to be all outside work, too. I couldn’t include (any time spent in) our practices or games this spring or anything like that. The 100 hours, it’s all just extra time I’ve put in on the field and in the weight room. I can see it’s really paying off.”

An example of a drill McMartin came up with to improve his hand-eye coordination in the batter’s box was to practice hitting marshmallows with a broomstick.

“I’ve done a lot of offseason work, especially on my hitting,” he said. “Last year I think I had maybe only five hits all year.”

McMartin, who batted .161 a year ago, had twice as many hits through 12 games this spring and was among the team’s leaders in batting average (.370), hits (10), doubles (2) and runs (8). He led the starters in slugging percentage (.778) and RBI (14) up to that point, and he hit his team-leading fourth home run in a 13-3 setback in five innings April 16 against Olentangy Orange as the Pioneers earned a split in the pivotal OCC-Capital Division series.

Defending-champion New Albany had won the first game 3-0 on April 13 as McMartin tossed a two-hitter in a pitching matchup of Division I college recruits. Luke Wolford, a shortstop who has signed to play at Dayton, started on the mound for the Pioneers.

McMartin’s record dropped to 4-1 when he took the loss in a 6-4 setback April 19 at Gahanna. Through 12 games, however, he was leading the staff in ERA (0.90) and strikeouts (26). Opponents were batting .167 against him.

McMartin also can play either corner infield spot, and coach Bob Talpas said he’s probably the team’s best catcher as well, although Talpas has been reluctant to use him behind the plate because of the added wear and tear on his arm.

McMartin also outdueled Watkins Memorial’s Rob Sexton, a left-hander who has signed to play at Wright State, when the Eagles overcame an early 2-0 deficit to win an OCC-Capital game 3-2 April 9.

McMartin was 5-3 with a 1.32 ERA last spring.

“He’s got more movement on his fastball now and he’s tightened his curveball up,” Talpas said. “He’s gotten stronger and put on some weight, too.

“He still has that little kid love for the game, and the same goes for most of our seniors.”

The Eagles were 12-4 overall and 5-2 in the OCC-Capital before playing the first game in the Big Walnut series April 23. The final two OCC-Capital series are against Delaware and Mount Vernon. Every team had at least two league losses before April 23, and McMartin said

Orange’s run-rule victory over the Eagles was an eye-opener.

“That was definitely a rough game. It was a windy day and we didn’t play to the conditions,” he said. “We know we’re better than that, and we’ve got to show that over these last few league games if we want to win the division.”

McMartin’s grade in his senior seminar class, after all, might depend on it.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/newalbany/sports/2012/04/26/mcmartin-work-paying-off.html

Offline MentorViking

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:02:52 AM »
only 4,500? the Scrappers sold 4,400 tickets themselfs to local schools, disabled people schools and YSU can only sell 100? yes those are exact numbers i have ties with people who work for at MVS

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:59:37 AM »
Viking. That is a highly unfair comment to make. ALL of the ticket selling was done by the Scrappers club. The 100 sales are those that bought through YSU. As if either team will sell that many tickets without giving kids a day off school? Scrappers have the PR ...YSU does not. Certainly not for baseball. Ad revenues at YSU is all football, so the spending is almost all on football. Football at YSU has not sold out charitable seats in 3 or 4 years ...it is almost not possible for baseball.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 09:33:44 PM »
Would not be surprised if it was the largest crowd Pitt played in front of this year.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne