Author Topic: Congratulations to the women's track team  (Read 7902 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Congratulations to the women's track team
« on: May 06, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »
Beat Milwaukee decisively in Wisconsin, 172-129.  Numerous individual winners over the two-day span.  Men finished as the runner-up behind Milwaukee.  Weren't even competitive. (175-108.)

I think this marks the first time in about three years that a YSU team has won a Horizon League title in any sport. 

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Congratulations to the women's track team
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:55:02 PM »
Congrats to the girls. Understood it's weak League. But it is a League.....and they won. They did what they should do.

Like to see some athletes at the NCAA...qualifiers.....(or maybe some folks are content to be "happy" with a League Title in a bad League).

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:50:17 PM »
Congrats to the girls. Understood it's weak League. But it is a League.....and they won. They did what they should do.

Like to see some athletes at the NCAA...qualifiers.....(or maybe some folks are content to be "happy" with a League Title in a bad League).

Pizza. At least we are happy about something ;)

You should know that a team could finish last in a conference and still have qualifiers. Track is a team sport with individual events, which is why it is such a great sport. You qualify for regional by finishing in a certain time, throwing a certain distance, or finishing in a certain place. What place your team finished at has nothing to do with that. However, when it is conference time ...that is a different story. So be happy with what we have got. Lady Pen track and field rules!!!!!! Men were great as well.

PS: If you want to complain about something ...complain about a soccer field being built when we need facilities for a sport we can be competitive in. Also we have 4 ...possibly 5 qualifiers. I think Pompeo qualified ..that will make 5.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:08:46 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »
Congrats ladies, you make us proud.

Guys, not too shabby, good job.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »

You should know that a team could finish last in a conference and still have qualifiers. Track is a team sport with individual events, which is why it is such a great sport. You qualify for regional by finishing in a certain time, throwing a certain distance, or finishing in a certain place. What place your team finished at has nothing to do with that. However, when it is conference time ...that is a different story. So be happy with what we have got. Lady Pen track and field rules!!!!!! Men were great as well.

PS: If you want to complain about something ...complain about a soccer field being built when we need facilities for a sport we can be competitive in. Also we have 4 ...possibly 5 qualifiers. I think Pompeo qualified ..that will make 5.

Agreed. Like I said, they won League. And like you said, track is not subjective. You have the distances, heights, times.....or you don't. The number of kids who make to regionals/nationals is the true test. The true measure. Everyone knows that.

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:06:44 AM »

Agreed. Like I said, they won League. And like you said, track is not subjective. You have the distances, heights, times.....or you don't. The number of kids who make to regionals/nationals is the true test. The true measure. Everyone knows that.

Not exactly fair.  If that's the true measure, than no more discussion should be had about any other sport.  However I do agree with your assessment I would simply hope that standard would hold for everyone at the collegiate level and not just track and field because we are "familiar" with the High School system and are equating states to nationals.  After doing some research pertaining to your original post, and asking people in the know, i was surprised at how difficult it actually is to not only make regional, but nationals.  these are the standards:  there are two regions.  the Mississippi river being basically the divider between east and west.  You must finish in the top 48 in your region to go to the regional meet. I don't know the exact numbers but that's a staggeringly small percentage of athletes in each event.  Then once you make it to regional you must finish top 12 at the meet to move on to nationals.  That means being one of the top 24 competitors in the country.  If I'm not mistaken that's the most difficult NCAA sport to qualify for nationally...at least half of all teams make a bowl game/playoff-tournament in the major sports.  That being said YSU has 3 athletes going with another 3 on the bubble, also sending one athlete Danielle Curry to nationals 2 or 3 years ago.  Id say for a lower mid-major school this is one sport that's getting better.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:19:59 AM »
Here are the regional rankings for last week - looks like another update due today

http://www.ustfccca.org/assets/rankings/div1/2012-otf/NCAAD1_2012_outWk5_TF_RegionalIndexByEvent.pdf

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »
According to that site any non red-highlighted team is not a USTFCCCCCA (or whatever it is) member, and wont show up on rankings after week too.  Got this site from a friend and track coach and apparently this is the compiling of every track meet in the country and used by the NCAA for qualifying purposes.  http://tfrrs.org/.   This is the east region list http://www.tfrrs.org/view_list.html#27.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 04:34:20 PM »
Speaking of Nationals.

YSU High Jump recruit jay Jakovina from Fitch  jumped a school record 6-10 1/4 at the Optimist meet last Saturday.

He tried 7-0 three times ,,,,half over the bar and his butt knocked the bar off every time.  It is definitely 7-0 in his future.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »

We ended up with three qualifiers ...Kaitlyn Griffith (hammer), junior Bobby Grace (Shotput), and junior Samantha Hamilton (5k). I think they have some of the years incorrect. It is hard to tell because there are two seasons. I think Grace is only a soph in outdoor & Hamilton is a senior in outdoor. Just an FYI ...Kent state is #1 in the regional for men's.  Overall they have 24 people participating in the regional this weekend. What a program.

In any case ...good luck this weekend!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:32:41 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 12:49:20 AM »
Congrats to the "Throws" coach......and the Olympic Strength and Conditioning coaches who helped get these athletes there. Hasn't been done in a while.....that says (proves) something....

Go Guins!!