Author Topic: Vargo: Throwing star  (Read 13253 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Vargo: Throwing star
« on: April 06, 2012, 04:17:06 PM »

By JOHN VARGO - Sports reporter (jvargo@tribtoday.com) , Tribune Chronicle

MINERAL RIDGE - Jacob Chiclowe thrives off adrenaline.

"Chic, you're up," a call goes out from the official scorekeeper around the shot put pit.

The 5-foot-10, 250-pound senior, who will compete at Youngstown State University next season, paces back and forth before stepping into the throwing circle.

"It's all mental," Chiclowe said. "I like to get pumped up before the throw. It's better than standing around, being tight."

The white, powdery chalk covers his neck - thoroughly smacked on prior to his throw.

"It helps me get going in the shot put, the grip of it, the chalk," Chiclowe said. "That's one of the main things I use it for. It's a way to get pumped up, just slapping it on yourself. That's what does it for me."

Chiclowe's teammates begin a slow clap that rapidly increases as he takes to the circle.

It's all part his routine each and every throw - a routine that started prior to outdoor season.

Chiclowe was throwing indoor - eventually ending up at the indoor state meet in Akron.

"Helped me be quicker through the ring," Chiclowe said. "The ring is a little slicker, so I'm a lot more confident in the ring."

Last week, he broke the school record twice - eventually ending up with a throw of 56-5 1/4 at Saturday's Joe Lane Invitational.

"Outdoors, I've been throwing a little more so that's what's been producing the big throws," Chiclowe said.

According to oh.milesplit.com, Chiclowe's throw is ranked third in the state.

Springfield Local's Stephen Lyons, who finished second in the state in Division III last year, is Chiclowe's biggest rival. Lyons threw 57-11 in indoors.

"The competition me and him have is a great thing," Chiclowe said.

He's staying with a regimented preparation routine as well.

"We expected big things out of him at the beginning," Mineral Ridge throws coach Andrew Apisa said. "He's still lifting heavy. He's still doing a lot of heavy throwing. For him to throw two school records in the first week is an amazing thing.

"We're torn his body down. He's still lifting heavy."

Chiclowe is the overall Division IV, V, VI state high school powerlifting champion in the 250-pound weight class. He squatted 575 pounds, benched 345 and deadlifted 505 on March 10 at Kenton High School.

However, practicing was a premium during the winter for Chiclowe and the rest of the Mineral Ridge throwers. Chiclowe's father, Robert, took two 4-by-8-foot boards, 3/4-inch thick OSBs (oriented strand board) and cut a hole into it to simulate an outdoor throwing ring. Then, there was a footboard curved around the front and bolted in. And, to make it portable, Robert put two hinges on the sides so it would fold up.

Mats were put under the portable ring and spread throughout the Mineral Ridge gym.

"Just this past year, he got really serious," Robert said of Jacob. "They really didn't have anywhere to throw. Mr. Apisa said, 'It would be nice if we could get one.' And, I said, 'I'll build one.' So I did a little research and I said, 'I can build one of these relatively inexpensive and you guys go for it.'

"These guys were getting up at 6 a.m., showing up at the gym and using it - working out. They're very dedicated."

And, Jacob is motivated as well.

"He's an intense kid," Apisa said. "Him and Ryan Booth, whether they're here in the weight room, out here practicing down on the track, those two thrive off excitement. They go on YouTube and watch (American Olympian) Adam Nelson, the watch them and that's what gets them up and gets them excited."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:19:17 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Vargo: Throwing star
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 09:51:55 PM »
The Strength and Conditioning Coaches in charge of YSU's Throw's........are incredible.

Not just my opionion.......If I'm not mistaken.........YSU placed 1-2-3-4 in the "shot" at the Horizon League Tournament and Bobby Grace "WON IT ALL"..breaking a school record!!!

The group that has worked at YSU the past few years till now have done an incredible job getting their athletes explosive !!!!

And they keep them healthy!!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:11:49 PM by Pizza »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »
Not only that Pizza, but until just recently ...they were all volunteers. The volunteers are the unsung heroes of so many sports here at YSU. Football, basketball, swimming. Heck, look at coach Antush in baseball. He worked with how many great YSU pitchers so far? He got us our first money games. Heck he worked his way into the head job at Marshall ..and they had a great program a one time. I mean we have never had a great deal of money, that is why I love it when the players come back to help because they (and the other volunteers are here because they love it.

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:37:32 PM »
The Strength and Conditioning Coaches in charge of YSU's Throw's........are incredible.

Not just my opionion.......If I'm not mistaken.........YSU placed 1-2-3-4 in the "shot" at the Horizon League Tournament and Booby Grace "WON IT ALL"..breaking a school record!!!

The group that has worked at YSU the past few years till now have done an incredible job getting their athletes explosive !!!!

And they keep them healthy!!!

Second that.  From what ive heard from coaches and athletes they have been a serious upgrade from previous, the coach in charge of the throws for that matter as well!   

Only Bobby Grace did not win HL, John Seaver won the indoor title breaking the HL record in the process i believe, too have two guys besting former track athlete and local standout Aaron Merrill is a testament to doing something right, something that doesn't happen in the valley all that often.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:11:07 PM »
Not only that Pizza, but until just recently ...they were all volunteers. The volunteers are the unsung heroes of so many sports here at YSU. Football, basketball, swimming. Heck, look at coach Antush in baseball. He worked with how many great YSU pitchers so far? He got us our first money games. Heck he worked his way into the head job at Marshall ..and they had a great program a one time. I mean we have never had a great deal of money, that is why I love it when the players come back to help because they (and the other volunteers are here because they love it.

Thanks.....for noticing. Truly I thank you.

At some point in time, decision makers....will appreciate it too!!

Numbers...don't lie. You get it done or you don't in Track and Field. It's not subjective. No "artistic" impression scores.

Well done by the "Olympic Sports" strength guys in the room (been the meeting and programming of many educated minds over 1-4 years.....to achieve that level). They deserve credit.....for obvious accomplishments.

Well done.

And my apologies to Seaver.....isn't it great that the "strength guys" in YSU's room can create the best 4 Throwers in the LEAGUE!!!

Congrats to all YSU athletes. A job well done....

And Merrill will always have his "place" on the WALL. Aaron was a YSU great!!

What a great opportunity for Chiclowe!!! A great get for YSU. And a great decision by this young man.

His future is "brighter" than he could possibly imagine.

Go GUINS!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 11:39:13 PM by Pizza »

Offline MentorViking

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 05:51:29 PM »
i thoug this would be about the Figuroa girl from Austintown Fitch who went to NY for nationals and reached AA status as a Junior

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:47:51 PM »
I dont think juniors are allowed to be recruited or sign anything...while id like to think she would be actively recruited when shes able to be...she is a national level athlete.  Its hard enough to keep talent in Ytown, its gotta be even harder to keep them when they have a free pass to wherever they please.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 11:51:09 AM »
i thoug this would be about the Figuroa girl from Austintown Fitch who went to NY for nationals and reached AA status as a Junior

Gabby does the weight throw really well.  Not so well at shot and discus.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline MentorViking

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 03:22:59 PM »
I dont think juniors are allowed to be recruited or sign anything...while id like to think she would be actively recruited when shes able to be...she is a national level athlete.  Its hard enough to keep talent in Ytown, its gotta be even harder to keep them when they have a free pass to wherever they please.

oh theres no doubt she's not going to YSU.  i have a close personal connection with her and her familly (wont say whom or how) and he has zero interest in YSU

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 04:08:47 PM »

oh theres no doubt she's not going to YSU.  i have a close personal connection with her and her familly (wont say whom or how) and he has zero interest in YSU

Who does as a junior?  Its my opinion that the better athletes at YSU end up there...I dont particularly think most of them set out to go there.  But things happen, offers come and go, coaches get hired and fired.  If shes already ruled YSU out before recruiting even begins, id say thats quite unwise.

Offline MentorViking

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »

Who does as a junior?  Its my opinion that the better athletes at YSU end up there...I dont particularly think most of them set out to go there.  But things happen, offers come and go, coaches get hired and fired.  If shes already ruled YSU out before recruiting even begins, id say thats quite unwise.

has nothing to do with Offers or Coaches, she just flat out doesnt like anything about YSU, the school, campus, surroundings, etc

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 10:54:22 AM »
All you guys DO realize that track money is very hard to come by , do you not?

Offline MentorViking

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 02:29:15 AM »
All you guys DO realize that track money is very hard to come by , do you not?

not for YSU. ive seen alot of well below average track kids on YSUs team walk on and get ships.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 10:48:37 PM »

has nothing to do with Offers or Coaches, she just flat out doesnt like anything about YSU, the school, campus, surroundings, etc

The best strength and conditioning coaches at any level for track athletes in the Midwest (at least). I don't coach there but I know a couple who do.......and they know more about getting kids explosive than many "coaches" at bigger programs.

And i'm sure she would change her mind, if she coupled that fact with a great "piece of Veal Parm"....from the MVR, the Elmton, or Cafe Capri.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 03:23:16 PM »

The best strength and conditioning coaches at any level for track athletes in the Midwest (at least). I don't coach there but I know a couple who do.......and they know more about getting kids explosive than many "coaches" at bigger programs.

And i'm sure she would change her mind, if she coupled that fact with a great "piece of Veal Parm"....from the MVR, the Elmton, or Cafe Capri.

---  If I'm going to eat processed veal I'll do it at the Golden Dawn for $6.00