Author Topic: Scalzo: YSU’s Perry, Zuiker to transfer  (Read 13054 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Scalzo: YSU’s Perry, Zuiker to transfer
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:07:54 AM »
By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Youngstown State men’s basketball players Nate Perry and Cale Zuiker are leaving the team, according to a report from CBS Sports’ Jeff Goodman.

Perry, a 6-foot-2 sophomore guard from Greensburg, Pa., appeared in 24 games last season, averaging 2.2 points and 0.9 rebounds per game. He averaged 8.1 minutes per game this season, the second-highest total among reserves behind Josh Chojnacki’s 9.6.

Perry originally joined the team as a preferred walk-on two years ago and was on scholarship this winter.

Zuiker, a 6-foot-9 freshman power forward from Marshfield, Wis., played in just 14 games, averaging 3.2 minutes per game last season. He was also on scholarship.

Neither Perry nor Zuiker responded to an interview request.

A Youngstown State spokesman had no comment about the report. YSU coach Jerry Slocum is in New Orleans for the Final Four and was not available for comment.

The departures will leave the Penguins with two extra scholarships and the coaches are expected to bring in at least one junior college transfer, most likely a post player. Division I men’s programs are allowed 13 scholarships.

YSU signed two players in November: Bobby Hain, a 6-9 forward from Jupiter (Fla.) High, and Ryan Weber, a 6-7 forward from Roncalli High in Indianapolis. Those two players received the scholarships left by departing seniors Ashen Ward and DuShawn Brooks.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Scalzo: YSU’s Perry, Zuiker to transfer
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 02:14:22 PM »
Neither a big deal, need to bring a post man in

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »
This posting on myvalleysports.com shows Fletcher Larson leaving (and does not mentioned Nate Perry or Zuiker).

Has Larson left the program as well?

Not sure what Pelligrini's source is here - it doesn't include Belin who has not been officially announced by YSU yet.

http://www.myvalleysports.com/content/headlines/story/Horizon-Mens-Basketball-Recruiting/JiFDZoP9kki8fhwMGe5KTA.cspx?rss=2154&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Youngstown State
Head Coach: Jerry Slocum
2011-12 Record: 16-15
Signees
Bobby Hain, 6’8/F, Jupiter (FL)
Ryan Weber, 6’6/F, Roncalli (Indianapolis, IN)
Losses
DuShawn Brooks, 6’6/F (9.9 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 1.4 APG, 42.0% 3PT)
Fletcher Larson, 6’8/F (6.3 MPG, 0.8 PPG, 1.1 RPG)
Ashen Ward, 6’3/G (10.0 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 2.5 APG, 35.3% 3PT)

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:53:35 PM »
Indy--everyone including N Perry and Zuiker were at banquet today. N Perry and Zuiker are leaving, Larson is not. Great banquet with a season highlight film shown which was very good. Everyone excited for next year and coaches are thrilled with addition of Belin (to go along with earlier 2 recruits)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 07:07:18 AM »
Thanks IP - by our count here I believe there are two scholarships left.  Hopefully the coaches pull in two more guys who can contribute next year.  The league has some really good players coming in.  Dunham (Butler) and Osborne (Loyola) are Indiana All Stars in a loaded year in Indiana.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
I get the feeling they may bank one. They are expecting Cole to step up next year and still believe in Amaker being a very productive player. My early guess as to starting lineup is Allen, K Perry, Amaker, Belin, and Eargle. Cole, Hain, Weber, Chojnacki, and Larson will all be expected to contribute heavily with Podolsky waiting in the wings. It's a very tight-knit group and someone would have to knock their socks off to be brought in. An ideal situation would be to attract a solid transfer or two who would have to sit out next season but then be ready for 2013-2014 when we lose Allen, Eargle, and Belin. But yes, as of now, there are 2 schollies available.
Check that, Belin would still have one year left
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 03:42:38 PM by ItalianPenguin »

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »
I wonder if there would be any interest in a one-year transfer?

Purdue guard John Hart has one year of eligibility remaining.  He will receive his bachelor's degree next month and would be eligible at any school that offers a graduate program that Purdue doesn't offer.   I imagine there are other similar players around the country.  Theoretically would be the same as banking a scholarship - open it up again next year.

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 05:53:32 PM »
Transfers may help.  Butler has a transfer from Arkansas in Rotnei Clark who averaged 15ppg in the SEC. That is not a type-o.  Loyala has Culley Payne a transfer from Iowa who was all newcomer in the Big Ten. Loyola also has a big guy Devin Hill from Depaul coming in.  Valpo has a Bobby Capobianco transfering from Indiana.  I think Detroit has a transfer in Nolan Dennis from Baylor.  All of these are eligible to play this coming season. 

Loyola had a great recruiting class plus those transfers so expect them to make a huge improvement next year.  Each team in the League is getting players 6-8 or bigger how come we cannot?

If we have two scholarships left then they need to be quality post players 6-8 or bigger.   

We may take a step back to the basement next year since the league is loaded and each team is bringing in great talent and size.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »
Pride, be careful what you say about big men.  Someone may jump down throat indicating we can't recruit them because our program has been down and they just refuse to come here.  Everyone else in the league continues to load up,  while we continously watch their big guys jump over our 6'7 guys for easy put backs season after season.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:05:22 PM »
Also, Italian Pen, I like your idea of getting a couple of transfers to sit out a year so we can load up when Eargle and Perry are close to leaving.

Offline MentorViking

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 02:31:10 AM »
Transfers may help.  Butler has a transfer from Arkansas in Rotnei Clark who averaged 15ppg in the SEC. That is not a type-o.  Loyala has Culley Payne a transfer from Iowa who was all newcomer in the Big Ten. Loyola also has a big guy Devin Hill from Depaul coming in.  Valpo has a Bobby Capobianco transfering from Indiana.  I think Detroit has a transfer in Nolan Dennis from Baylor.  All of these are eligible to play this coming season. 

Loyola had a great recruiting class plus those transfers so expect them to make a huge improvement next year.  Each team in the League is getting players 6-8 or bigger how come we cannot?

If we have two scholarships left then they need to be quality post players 6-8 or bigger.   

We may take a step back to the basement next year since the league is loaded and each team is bringing in great talent and size.

dont make that sound more impressive then it somewhat is, the SEC Sucks at Basketball

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 07:16:16 AM »
Mentor,
I know the SEC sucks in basketball that's why Kentucky won the champioship and Florida was in the elite 8.  Just admit our recruiting needs to keep pace with the rest of the Horizon League. 

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 10:23:29 AM »
Clarke shot 44 percent on 3's as a freshman at Arkansas - averaged over 20 points a game over the last 8 games of the season.  You are fooling yourself if you think he isn't going to have a huge impact at Butler.  Combined with Dunham, Butler may well have the two best incoming shooters in the league.

Offline MentorViking

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »
Mentor,
I know the SEC sucks in basketball that's why Kentucky won the champioship and Florida was in the elite 8.  Just admit our recruiting needs to keep pace with the rest of the Horizon League.

Kentucky had at least 4 Kids who will be 1st round picks in the NBA, thats why they won, NOT Because they were in the SEC. Florida had a very easy road to the EE, NOT because they played in the SEC.  but dont worry that post is all i need to know that you're clueless.

if the SEC was so good why does the Mountain West have a higher confrence RPI ranking?
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/college-basketball-conference-ranking-rpi-kenpom-sagarin-169515

thats pathetic and terrible for a BCS Football confrence
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:58:41 AM by MentorViking »

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 03:25:36 PM »

"Rotnei"?  Really?  So now we are spelling the way we speak?  Just axin, and I live in Boartman btw.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!