Author Topic: The future of YSU basketball  (Read 3676 times)

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The future of YSU basketball
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:58:39 PM »
The season is winding down.  The team has a very good opportunity of finishing high in the standings and awarded a home tournament game.  However, the team could have been better if we could have overcome our weak bench.  So the foundation is there for an equal if not better basketball season next year.  Planning for the future we should consider not renewing a scholarship(s) next year and search for players that can come off the bench, relieve the starters, and contribute.

Who's scholarship would you not renew for the 2012-2013 season.  Amiker freshman, Cole freshman, Choinacki sophmore, Zuicker freshman, Larson freshman.  I feel some of the above have already proven that they can not help YSU. It would be better to have their scholarship to recruit better players. Rank them.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The future of YSU basketball
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 10:17:44 AM »
We do return our top 3 players next year and the two recruits we got for next year seem good for a change.  Those recruits though are more swing players than post players and until we get a few post players that can actuall play at out level we will be a 12 win team.  The Horizon League will be much improved for next year so we probably need two juco big men.   Choinacki needs to go he is not D1 talent then it is either a toss up with the rest of the bench as to who's scholly should not be renewed.  As of now Slocum would get a one year contract extension unless we crumble the rest of the season.   

I could just imagine if we had a bench and at least 1 post player what our record would be.

Go recruit big men Slocum!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Elpenguin,

All the young men that you listed should transfer down to D2 or even D3 where they could play and be happy.  None of them can help us if we expect to continue to be competitive in the Horizon League.  Right now we are looking at a starting five for next season of Perry, Allen, Eargle and the two freshmen (please Lord, let them be good players.)  That is a prescription for disaster.  We need two jucos would could start at the 3 and 5 spots (with Eargle moving to 4 where he belongs.)  Then the freshmen could come off the bench and gradually blend into the system.  That would also give us a seven player rotation, two more than we have now. 

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:27:04 AM »
I believe Slocum still has high hopes for Larson so I'm sure he isn't going anywhere, and I believe DJ Cole has a chance to be a good player so I'd be surprised if he is jettisoned. The rest....all bets are off!