Author Topic: 2012: Is This the Year, Finally?  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
2012: Is This the Year, Finally?
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
Go back in time two years to January 2010.  Consider the fate of our three major sports.  We had just changed football coaches, and all we had was promises for a return to national stature.  Men's basketball was very poor and completely uncompetitive in the Horizon League.  On the women's side, we were in the last year of the Hill-Martin "Reign of Terror," and about to suffer the humiliation of a winless season.

Now return to the present day.  We will have defeated the probable national champion on the road, and the promised land is in sight IF the young defense improves, the special teams are reformed, and, most importantly, the coaches improve their game day performances.  Who knows what the rest of the basketball season holds for the men, but it is quite obvious that the laughingstock label can no longer be applied to us.  The biggest story of all comes on the women's side where Boldon in just one season plus has apparently changed the whole culture of the program.  Suggesting the we could become the second best team in the conference behind Green Bay in a few more seasons is now a sensible projection.

So will 2012 be the year that it finally, and mercifully, turns around?  Please give your analysis.

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2012: Is This the Year, Finally?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »
Wick-I am always optimistic. I think 2012 will be a great for the Penguins in football. All we have to do is play 4 quarters of football. I posted earlier on the board that I was really impressed with coach Boldon from the day they hired him. He just seem to have the IT factor that was lacking for the women. And the men have been a pleasant surprise this year. I hope we can keep the momentum. As for football in the next few years I would love to BabyGuin to TX for a football game