Author Topic: Trip down memory lane  (Read 5047 times)

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Trip down memory lane
« on: December 11, 2011, 10:01:03 PM »
Do you all realize that 12 yrs ago today. Many of witness what had to be the greatest game ever played at Stambaugh Stadium. The weather was freezing, and we were losing pretty bad to Florida A&M. Somehow we managed to win. There was an interception in the red zone that gave us the spark to come back. What a great game!!!! Do you know what I remember most about that game. I had a punching bag the whole 4th quarter. It wasn't Dad. Let's just say punching bag married me(I know. What was he thinking).

Offline ysuscuba

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Trip down memory lane
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 10:45:56 PM »
I was a student at the time of this game.  It was Tim Johnson who had the pick in the redzone to help seal the deal.  What a great game!  I remember there were a few of us that rushed the field.  Another great game was one of the largest crowds at the stadium with around 21,000 against UNI.  We beat them and I remember our punter had a crazy long 70 yard punt it seemed to roll for ever. 
"Any aquatic species that dares to swim past the coast of Japan will become extinct."

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 11:35:16 PM »
Scuba-I too was a student at YSU, and I remember that whole entire season. I don't think I missed a home game that year. I think the only home game I missed in my years at YSU was the 2000 WIU game because I went to a wedding(and then I got married in 2007 on the weekend of a YSU home game)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
Scuba-I too was a student at YSU, and I remember that whole entire season. I don't think I missed a home game that year. I think the only home game I missed in my years at YSU was the 2000 WIU game because I went to a wedding(and then I got married in 2007 on the weekend of a YSU home game)

You got married on weekend that there was as a YSU home game! My goodness child what were you thinking?

I sure hope it has worked out.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »
I remember that FLAMU game as well. I was in shock, then furious. Billie Joe was their coach ...he was exceptional. They had not had a good team in a number of years. However, the previous year (1998) they were monsters (BCCA national champs, and lost to WIU in the second-round). They lost everyone from that 98 squad, and were not supposed to be very good. In fact, we whipped the traditional MEAC power (and a team that had already beaten FLAMU for the conference crown) in N. Carolina AT&T the week prior. Certainly we would whip FLAMU by just a much? I thought that FLAMU's win against Troy was a fluke ...boy was I wrong. They threw that spread option at us and Tressel was shocked ...as was I. They began to get very cocky, and I never wanted game so badly after that. Coach H began placing two ends on one side ...leaving it opened for the pass. The we began to get penetration, I calmed down, they went into a drop-back mode, we scored ...then the pick.

One question I have about that game. On that final TD ...was Ryan throwing to Giles in the corner ...and Matthews grabbed it, or was it meant for Matthews? Anyone remember?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:48:10 AM »
I remember that he said he thew it to giles but the TE came down with it in the back of the endzone.  That was the craziest comback win of any football game I have ever witnessed.  They even had thier second string QB in the game and they were passing the ball with a huge lead.  The back-up QB's name was Gray.  He threw the ball over the middle and Johnson picked him off and ran it back to the 30 yard line.

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 02:18:56 PM »
Guinpen-I got married on Sept 22, 2007. YSU played Lock Haven. No I didn't look at the schedule before selecting the date. And so far it has worked out great. We have a 9.5mth old. And on our 5th anniversary we will play UNI. I may just go to that game.

And yes that was the craziest comeback ever. Weather wise that was worst game all year, but the comeback kind of warmed us all up.