Author Topic: 2012 Football Schedule officially announced  (Read 23153 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Football Schedule officially announced
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 09:58:40 PM »
There is always the option of scheduling a conference rival during the seasons they are off the schedule. The issue for YSU is that we really have no in-conference rival, and it then becomes a home and home situation. Therefore it makes more sense to stay with our money games & weaker OOC teams. I think we would be able to work something our during the 12-game seasons. I personally favor a second money game, or Akron/Kent during the 12-game seasons; but we really make much more money scheduling a weaker 7th home game, and as to the second $$ game ...we could not afford a second loss ...even for $500k.

I agree that a second money game aka most likely a second loss, would only work in a 12 game season we could still reach 7 wins.

No Mac teams unless it is a home and home, none of them could pay enough so a return home game would be the only way to make up the money.

Dump the Dakota teams by adding the Great West teams and forming two divisions. YSU, Indy, SUI. Ill ST, WIU, MSU and UNI in one and Cal Poly, Southern Utah, UC Davis, ND, NDSU, SD and SDSU in the other. Playing all teams in your division gives you 3 home and 3 away each year. Play two teams from the other division each year giving you 1 more home and 1 more away game each year. Throw in the money game and 2 home games from the non schollys. You get 6 home and 5 away each year.

I am not a big fan of the league but it is better then no league at all. Of course the best solution for our fans would be to play in a league with the current MAC schools, but since they do not want us and they will never drop to 1AA so that will never happen.

About the schedule - away games at Ill ST and NDSU will be key, certainly UNI and maybe Indy at home will be big
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:00:16 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline jwmann2

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
    • FromThisSeat.com
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 11:43:52 PM »
Although it is near impossible to pick out wins and losses on a football schedule especially at the mid major level...6 and 5 is my guess with losses to Pittsburgh and UNI.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
I am not really talking about scheduling MAC ...but specifically scheduling Kent and Akron. We have seemingly mended the fence with the Zips. Now here is the problem with a $$ game and a MAC game on the same schedule:

1. The respect for the MAC is growing, but that is only because they added Temple ...mark my words, Temple will return to the Big East in football (bet Bill Cosby's life on it). The traditional power teams Toledo, BG, BSU will always be respected. UA and KSU will never be respected. So this game will be viewed as a must-win. A loss to OSU or Penn State will not hurt us ...but a loss to both PSU and Akron will.

2. Akron and Kent would have to violate MAC policy to schedule a contest at Stambaugh. I will never be in favor of no return game from a MAC school. Unless, as Guinpen said, they fork over $500k or $600k ...or what ever is the going rate for a I-AA/FCS opponent.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »
AMEN....AMEN.....AMEN TO LECTER, THE GREAT ONE

GET OUT OF THE LEAGUE, SO WE CAN HAVE FAN SUPPORT.

CAUSE AFTERALL....IT'S BUTTS IN THE SEATS THAT WIN GAMES.  SO
SOME PEOPLE EVALUATE.

WHO OF OUR FANS CARE TO DRIVE TO SOUTH DAKOTA AND NORTH
DAKOTA.  MISSOURI WAS A LONG DRIVE BUT WE BECAME ACCUSTOMED
TO IT.

DON'T UNDERSTAND THE LOGIC ... I DO KNOW WE ARE IN IT; BUT

South Dakota might as well be South America for most of us.  Get out of this damn league!
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 11:41:10 AM »
Are there any Independent FCS teams any longer.  I understand the conference tie-in re playoffs, but it would be really cool if we could pull it off.  I know the downside is probably 80-20 with schedule, type of teams, etc. but can this even be a discussion?

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 11:47:48 AM »
Are there any Independent FCS teams any longer.  I understand the conference tie-in re playoffs, but it would be really cool if we could pull it off.  I know the downside is probably 80-20 with schedule, type of teams, etc. but can this even be a discussion?

Not really.  Four teams this year, none of which were eligible for the playoffs:

Texas State transitioning to FBS and the WAC.

New programs Georgia State, UT San Antonio and South Alabama.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 09:04:45 PM »

Not really.  Four teams this year, none of which were eligible for the playoffs:

Texas State transitioning to FBS and the WAC.

New programs Georgia State, UT San Antonio and South Alabama.

The Great West conference does not carry an NCAA charter ...so the conference is not sanctioned. So in the eyes of the NCAA, all of these teams are considered independent. we are taking SDU and the rest are going Big Sky. The cali teams still looking.

Florida Gulf Coast University, Houston Baptist University, North Carolina Central University and the University of South Carolina Upstate have all had petitions accepted to reclassify FCS. The last three going to the MEAC or SWAC. FGCU is scary. Presbyterian is still classified DII as well. As I understand it Winston-Salem has agreed to pay a penalty and go back to DII.

Now Fordham has the opposite problem. The NCAA still classifies them as part of the FCS, and the patriot league. However, the Patriot League no longer recognizes them, as they are switching from grants to scholarships. As to N. Alabama and UTSA, they have petitioned to reclassify as FBS ...not FCS. Georgia State is in the drivers seat ...major (as in ACC/CUSA major) conferences want this club. Lamar petitioned for FBS status & was woed by the WAC, but I hear they will probably stay in the SLC for a while. They are a huge rival for Baylor if memory serves me.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 03:58:53 PM »
The Pitt game looks really interesting now. Word is Todd Graham, Pitts head coach for all of 1 season, has resigned to take over at Arizona State.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 05:54:28 PM »
The Pitt game looks really interesting now. Word is Todd Graham, Pitts head coach for all of 1 season, has resigned to take over at Arizona State.

And appears to have left without telling his players (allegedly sent a text to someone in the athletic administration to tell the players) and left after being denied permission to talk to Arizona State.

Pitt may have a lot of litigation going on when we play:  litigation on getting out of the Big East to go to the ACC before the 27 month waiting period is up and litigation with Graham / ASU over the contract.

Best thing that could happen for Pitt opponents is to have their incoming recruiting class fall apart.  Also remember that a few Pitt coaches had already left the staff to join RichRod's staff at Arizona.

Chaos at Pitt can only help YSU in that game. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 06:05:31 AM »

And appears to have left without telling his players (allegedly sent a text to someone in the athletic administration to tell the players) and left after being denied permission to talk to Arizona State.

Pitt may have a lot of litigation going on when we play:  litigation on getting out of the Big East to go to the ACC before the 27 month waiting period is up and litigation with Graham / ASU over the contract.

Best thing that could happen for Pitt opponents is to have their incoming recruiting class fall apart.  Also remember that a few Pitt coaches had already left the staff to join RichRod's staff at Arizona.

Chaos at Pitt can only help YSU in that game.

It would not hurt for coach W to send out a couple of reminders that we are there for a couple of players either. Pitt really scoured the Mahoning Valley this year in terms of recruiting.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 06:25:59 AM »
I see where UNI has our Wisconsin game ...two money games. Here is their September 2012 schedule:

Sept. 1             at Wisconsin
Sept. 8             Savannah State
Sept. 15           at Iowa
Sept. 22           at Youngstown State

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 07:39:16 AM »
I see where UNI has our Wisconsin game ...two money games. Here is their September 2012 schedule:

It would be nice to see UNI 1-3 before Oct starts so we won't have to face the embracement of the UNI playoffs again LOL!!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 08:21:35 AM »
I think a 7-4 UNI team would get in anyhow...and then embrass the conference. I can see a scenario where they finsih in a tie for third, with a worse overall record than the other 3rd place team, but get selected anyway.

It would be nice to see UNI 1-3 before Oct starts so we won't have to face the embracement of the UNI playoffs again LOL!!

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 11:09:09 AM »
GET OUT OF THIS DAMN LEAGUE! >:(

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 06:51:41 PM »
AMEN!!!