Author Topic: Akron coach  (Read 10672 times)

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Akron coach
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »
This is not right, they should have given this poor guy another 10 - 12 years.

AKRON, Ohio -- It came as no surprise late Saturday afternoon that the Akron Zips ended the Rob Ianello era as head football coach after two years and a 2-22 record, including 1-15 in Mid-American Conference play.
Ianello's assistants were also dismissed. The first thing Akron Athletic Director Tom Wistrcill said Saturday evening before the Zips' men's basketball game against Detroit, and repeated several times, was how much "a great experience for your student-athletes" was part of the decision. Yet wins and losses were also key.
"Ultimately, we need to win more games," Wistrcill said. "Certainly, we didn't feel like the program was headed in the direction we wanted it to, at the end of this year. Certainly, winning was a factor."
Prior to hiring Ianello, 46, Wistrcill made it clear he felt the Zips were a contending football program. "The cupboard is not bare," he said after dismissing J.D. Brookhart. Akron had advanced to the MAC Championship game in 2005, and won, under Brookhart. But four sub-par losing seasons followed, leading to Brookhart's ouster and the arrival of Ianello.
During his media Q&A, Wistrcill said the decision was his, and was accepted by school president Luis Proenza. There were player defections before and throughout Ianello's regime. While Wistrcill never said that was part of the equation, more than once he talked about the "players' experience."
"I can say I feel like I'm fairly close with a lot of our players," Wistrcill said. "So we have a lot of conversations. But I can tell you they were not driving this decision. They're a good group of student-athletes who want to be successful, and pour their heart and soul into our football program."
Rumors of Ianello's demise began to surface after a 35-3 loss at Miami, which was followed by a 35-3 loss to rival Kent State. The season ended with a 51-10 loss at Buffalo and a 68-19 rout at Western Michigan.
Ianello's mother, Rita, died Tuesday. He was en route to New York for his mother's services and not available for comment.
Wistrcill said there will be a national search. But it could be handicapped by having to pay the final three years of Ianello's $300,000 annual salary, although the AD said there are final negotiations going on.
Speculation about a successor already centers on former Akron offensive coordinator Paul Winters. He is currently head coach at Division II Wayne State (Mich.) which is in the NCAA Division II playoffs. The Tarters (10-3) advanced to the regional finals on Saturday with a 38-26 victory over No. 2-seed Nebraska-Kearney.
While Wistrcill said the search begins immediately, he declined comment on the involvement of a search firm, or who would be on a search committee.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline jwmann2

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
    • FromThisSeat.com
Re: Akron coach
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 11:39:37 PM »
Word has been circulating the they would pursue Tressel. I don't see it happening, just can't. He is well off and will end up taking over for another big time program sometime in the future.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »
He will fail at the NFL, then become HC/AD/Provost at Baldwin-Wallace. Which I think is perfect. YSU should try for the same deal with him. He needs something in between though.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 08:32:46 PM »
Ouch! They offered the job to D2 coach that played for and was on the staff at Akron and he decided to stay at Wayne St.

Detroit— Wayne State football coach Paul Winters turned down an offer with the University of Akron and has signed an extension through 2016 to stay with the Warriors.

Akron officials drove to Detroit on Sunday night to meet with Winters, and they offered him a contract. Winters thought about the Division I offer overnight, but told Wayne State athletic director Rob Fournier on Monday morning that he was staying with the team.

Fournier knew the news was good when Winters walked in Monday with the extension he'd been offered weeks ago.

"We are ecstatic that he decided to stay," Fournier said. "This is an early Christmas gift for us."

Winters guided the Warriors to the Division II championship game, where they lost, 35-21, to Pittsburg State on Saturday. Wayne State earned its first trip to the postseason, then reeled off four consecutive road wins to make the title game.

This season, the Warriors finished 12-4 and tied for second in the GLIAC. They advanced through the playoffs as a No. 6 seed.

Winters took the Wayne State job eight years ago, when the program was among the worst in the country. The Warriors lost 14 of their first 15 games under Winters.

By turning down Akron, Winters said no to his hometown team. He played at Akron and was an assistant there for 10 seasons (1994-2003) before taking the Wayne State job.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:50:40 AM »
Turned down by a Div. 2 coach is a smack in the face for Akron.  Program is in really bad shape with little fan support.  No wonder nobody wants that job.  Akron football is as pathetic as YSU basketball.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 03:29:55 PM »
Turned down by a Div. 2 coach is a smack in the face for Akron.  Program is in really bad shape with little fan support.  No wonder nobody wants that job.  Akron football is as pathetic as YSU basketball.

Yikes!!  Didn't think anything was as bad as the YSU men's round ball team  ???  Noted above JWmann2 said they would pursue St. Tressel LOL!! He has 5 years of sanctions following him around if he lands at a scholly type school!!

Offline TheBearMay

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 08:13:35 PM »
The Scoop (http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop) is reporting that Akron has offered the position to Temple offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler.
Say what you mean, mean what you say, and let your actions speak for you.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 10:05:10 AM »
Seeing reports this morning that Zips have hired Terry Bowden.

http://twitter.com/#!/toddporter

toddporter Todd Porter
Source confirms Akron has hired Terry Bowden as its next coach. Zips hit home run. Credibility to a 2-22 football program. #zips #Akron

Porter is columnist at Canton Repository - was very critical of past Zippy staff for ignoring Stark County kids.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:10:12 AM »
toddporter Todd Porter
But was not offered the job. Bowden flew in Wed nite, flew out Thursday morning with contract, that will pay between $375,00 and $400,000
3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

toddporter Todd Porter
Akron offered football job to two coach. Paul Winters and Terry Bowden. Loeffler wasn't offered. One other high profile Ohio coach interview

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 04:44:07 PM »
If this is true ...recruiting just got a bit more difficult for the Guins.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 05:30:56 PM »
Been interesting to watch Twitter on this hire today.  The Zips have definitely gotten a helluva lot publicity on this.  Some of it falls in to the "there is no such thing as bad publicity" stage.  Many don't like it.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 07:35:03 PM »
I hate Akron, but I am impressed with the hire, if he does well he will be short term, a stepping stone to get back to the big time. But I am impressed they were able to get him.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 12:18:11 PM »
The guy is now, and always has been a loser, but he has a name. Recruits will come for that. Closest thing they get to playing for Florida State. Remember, we are talking to 16-18 year-old's. My I remember what an idiot I was back then. It is no different today.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 03:49:56 PM »
I am sure they will get  bump up with recruiting, but I think Wolford will still hold his own. 
A Penguin for life!!!