Author Topic: The 2011 football season  (Read 6476 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The 2011 football season
« on: November 19, 2011, 08:39:48 PM »
Ok so it did not end the way most of us hoped, but wasn't cool to even be talking about maybe, just maybe making the playoffs with 30 seconds left in the last game. If you had ask me that before the season started I would have thought that we had done alright.

Last year 3-8 this year 6-5, pick up another 3 games next year and the fun begins.

Special team need lots of work - lots, deeper kicks better coverage - the little things.

Several of the big games next year are home. uni, NDSU, Indy which should help. Not sure who our money game is with, but that game and Ill St. will be tough on the road.

last year we were a couple of plays from winning 2-3 more games, this year we were 2 plays away from making the playoffs, the future is bright!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YTOWNALUM

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: The 2011 football season
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 08:54:38 PM »
Yeah good call. This sounds so familiar. I think NDSU was a fluke.  We need a coach that is a winner.  Clearly we weren't ready for this game.  Pathetic.

Let's think about it.  Most of the playmakers on this team are heacock recruits. 

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 09:38:38 PM »
Defense....ATROCIOUS (as usual)!!!!  Special Teams......NIGHTMARE (as usual)!!!!!   Offense in 2nd half......CATASTROPHIC (becoming the norm)!!!!  I wished playoffs, but it's not to be.  Pretty sad game against a 1-win team.  NO EXCUSE COACH....Matsakis AND Kravitz HAVE GOT TO GO.  And the HC, next year is your swan song.  You're losing fans every week and they're not coming back.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 10:03:16 PM »
Offense runs Cook way too much.  They have other backs they could have used.  He had to be gassed which may have resulted in the dropped passes.
D-back had a nice break up of the attempted touch down pass.   Unfortunately it was with his helmet.
All phases of the game were bad.   With so much on the line it was disappointing.  I guess it was a let down from last week.  Poor turn out by the fans too

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 10:06:17 PM »
Offense runs Cook way too much.  They have other backs they could have used.  He had to be gassed which may have resulted in the dropped passes.
D-back had a nice break up of the attempted touch down pass.   Unfortunately it was with his helmet.
All phases of the game were bad.   With so much on the line it was disappointing.  I guess it was a let down from last week.  Poor turn out by the fans too

I agree b +1

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 10:12:26 PM »
All the starters are back on offense.
They are losing people on defense.
Without defense you cannot win.
How do they fix that

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 10:25:59 PM »
I would absolutely agree with the assessment of Cooke.  There is no reason that he should be carrying the ball 30-35 times a game when YSU goes 4 deep at that position.  And next year, Hymes comes into the picture.  Cooke shouldn't get any more than 25 touches a game.  He stays fresh, defenses get a different look and can't key on just Cooke.

Just got done watching the press conference....I really wish Wolford could once say, "we just flat got out coached."  It's always "the process", "strength", blaming it on the special teams.  HELLO COACH, it's your responsibility to have these kids ready to play. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/ysusports?blend=23&ob=5#p/u/1/oGDvW7nGvZk

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 10:34:56 PM »
Yeah good call. This sounds so familiar. I think NDSU was a fluke.  We need a coach that is a winner.  Clearly we weren't ready for this game.  Pathetic.

Let's think about it.  Most of the playmakers on this team are heacock recruits.

I don't think that NDSU was a fluke, we play in a tough league and anyone that does not bring it's A game can lose on any given day.

I do agree that we were not ready for today's game, happened a couple of times this year. But with that said I really believe that this year was a step ahead of last year and I expect that next year will be better yet.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 11:16:18 PM »
up 17.. at half....did not ececute in second half....cook catches/that third and three they are going to
the playoffs....missed opportunities...

fan turnout was embarrassing ..!