Author Topic: Men's basketball signs Hain and Weber to Letters of Intent  (Read 9362 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's basketball signs Hain and Weber to Letters of Intent
« on: November 09, 2011, 11:14:34 AM »
http://www.ysusports.com/sports/mbkb/2011-12/releases/20111109ronhen

Youngstown, Ohio – The Youngstown State men's basketball program has signed Bobby Hain (Jupiter, Fla.) and Ryan Weber (Indianapolis, Ind.) to National Letters-of-Intent to continue their academic and athletic careers at YSU, Head Coach Jerry Slocum announced on Wednesday (Nov. 9).

Slocum said one thing that really stood out about Hain and Weber was their offensive prowess.

"The thing I like about both of these guys is the really can score the ball," Slocum said. "We are really pleased to have two quality people and highly-talented basketball players join our program."

Hain, a 6-foot-9 forward from Jupiter High School, was named second-team all-conference as a junior after averaging 13.6 points, 6.8 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game. Hain, who made 30 3-pointers last season, shot 48.1 percent (65-of-135) inside the arc and posted a double-double with 23 points and 14 rebounds against Suncoast High School.

Slocum liked Hain's ability to play inside and out.

"Bobby is a unique guy and would have been hard for us to get in the past," Slocum said. "He's 6-9/6-10 very agile and shoots the ball extremely well also.

"Jupiter's John Anderson has a great program and has coached Bobby very well. Bobby has such unlimited potential and, as he gets stronger, he can turn into an outstanding basketball player."

Hain was impressed with the coaching staff, his future teammates and being able to play in a great basketball conference.

"I loved the coaching staff and felt I fit very well with the team," Hain said. "Offensively, it seemed like a good fit because I am an in-and-out player and I can stretch the defense.

"Being able to play in the Horizon League was also big for me. It is a very strong league."

Weber, a 6-foot-7 forward from Roncalli High School, helped lead his prep squad to an 18-6 overall mark and the school's four sectional championship in the last seven years.

Weber averaged 11.8 points and 4.8 rebounds per game and was named Honorable Mention all-county. He was also named to the Marion Holiday Tournament First-Team.

"Ryan is an overall very good basketball player," Slocum said. "He guards well and shoots the ball extremely well. He has really good size and has as much of an upside.

"He's a great shooter of the basketball, is well coached by Michael Wantz at Roncalli High School and comes from a great high school program. Ryan is what is good about college athletics."

Weber listed that YSU being team on the rise and its proximity to home as key contributors to his decision.

"There were a lot of factors but mainly it was the coaches and players at YSU," Weber said. "YSU is a team on the up and I think has big things in store in the future.

"The Horizon League is a great conference and my home is centrally located so my family can see many of my games."

The Guins open the 2011-12 season against Samford, Saturday, Nov. 12, at 8 p.m. in Birmingham, Ala.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's basketball signs Hain and Weber to Letters of Intent
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:17:17 AM »
No surprises here.  These are the two verbal commits expected to sign.  I believe we determined there is one additional scholarship for next season.  It would appear it is being held for the Spring?

Interesting comment by both players about the strength of the Horizon League playing a factor in their recruitment.  The HL is one of the positives YSU has to offer in recruiting - and we all know the challenges that basketball faces.

Looking forward to getting out and seeing Ryan Weber at least once this season. 

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 03:10:07 PM »
Indy--I thought Coach Slocum said we have two schollies remaining. Will have to try to figure it out.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:49:31 PM »
Ryan Weber had a huge weekend.  27 points in Roncali's 92-40 demolition of Cardinal Ritter and 24 in their 68-40 win of Greenwood.

Even with those two scores, Roncali's only averaging 57 points a game.  They have been in the 40's 5 times and low 50's 3 more times.  Its just how coach Wantz's teams have always played - Ryan's year-end stats will not be very gaudy.

Still have not been able to get out and watch them play.  Hopefully I get to see them before the season is out.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 02:39:35 PM »
Ryan Weber and Roncalli began post-season play last night with an overtime win over sixth ranked Indianapolis Cathedral.  Cathedral has a 6-6 senior signed with St. Louis, a 6-7 junior committed to Indiana and a freshman point guard who is being recruited by all the major powers. 

Ryan led the team in scoring and had a pair of baskets in overtime to put Roncalli ahead to stay.

Up tonight for Roncalli is Lawrence Central, with Indiana signee Jeremy Hollowell.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120303/SPORTS02/203030351/Roncalli-Lawrence-Central-win-boys-basketball-sectionals?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|s

As the program's single-season assist leader, Roncalli High School senior Bradley Fey is normally the guy who makes his teammates look good.

On Friday, Fey delivered two 3-pointers in the final 10 seconds of regulation to propel Roncalli to a thrilling 63-58 overtime win over Class 4A No. 6 Cathedral in a Sectional 10 basketball semifinal game at Tech.

"I kept thinking, 'I'm a senior, I'm going to have to do something to keep the game going,' " said Fey, who scored 12 of his 13 points in the fourth quarter and overtime. "I really haven't shot it that well this year. But tonight I probably hit the biggest shot of my life."

Roncalli (17-3) will play Lawrence Central (16-6) tonight at Tech for the Sectional 10 championship. Lawrence Central defeated Warren Central 61-58 in a dramatic finish in Friday's first semifinal.

Cathedral, which had won 13 games in a row coming into Friday, including a 22-point thrashing of Roncalli on Feb. 9, led 51-46 after Jalen Coleman made two free throws with 18.7 seconds left in regulation. Fey then delivered the first of his two big 3s, cutting Cathedral's lead to 51-49.

Coleman, a freshman guard, was fouled again with 9.9 seconds left. He made the first free throw, but missed the second. Fey dribbled up the court, trying to find senior Ryan Weber for a potential tying shot. But Weber was covered and Fey turned around at the top of the key, wide open. His line drive shot spun around the rim and through with 2 seconds left.

"It's a game of inches," Roncalli coach Michael Wantz said. "It rattled around and we get to keep playing."

In overtime, the 6-7 Weber scored five of his game-high 16 points, including the go-ahead basket with 1:09 left. The Rebels, playing their first game in the 4A tournament since moving up a class, never trailed again.

"Survive and advance," Wantz said. "LC will be very tough, too. They are long and athletic and very good, obviously."

Lawrence Central pulled out a similar comeback in Friday's opener and did it for the most part without senior Jeremy Hollowell, who injured his right hip in the first half. The Bears trailed by eight points in the third quarter, but were able to rally behind seniors Tyler Corley and Tyler Fischl, who combined for 25 points in the second half.

After icing his hip and riding a stationary bike much of the second half, Hollowell returned with a little less than 2 minutes left and Lawrence Central trailing 55-51. He didn't score after his return, but assisted on a 3-pointer by DaVonte' Harris to cut the Warren Central lead to one with 1:27 left.

After a Charlie Dant 3 gave Warren Central a 58-56 lead, Fischl answered with a 3 from the right wing to give the Bears a 59-58 lead with 35 seconds left.

The Warriors missed two 3-point attempts in the final seconds, one with a chance to take the lead and another to tie.

Hollowell, an Indiana University recruit, said he "will definitely" play tonight.

"My teammates stepped up big time," he said.

Hollowell finished with 13 points. Corley led the Bears with 19 points and Fischl added 13.

Warren Central junior Devin Davis, also an Indiana recruit, was in foul trouble much of the game and finished with 12 points. Jamaal Bridges led Warren Central with 17.

Offline BTD30

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 06:51:16 PM »
Roncalli loses to Lawrence Central 53-51 and finish the year with a 17-4 record. Ryan had 17 points.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120304/SPORTS02/203040360/Lawrence-Central-beats-Roncalli-win-1st-sectional-title-since-1998

Offline YSUWildcat

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 03:03:16 PM »
Hain might very well be a 3 just because i dont think he's that great of a rebounder
just under 7 Rebounds per game when your considered one of the biggest guys in your teams area

"
They call Bobby Hain and Grant Pelchen "the Twin Towers" - and rightfully so. Hain is 6-feet -9; Pelchen 6-10.

No other frontcourt in the area has that size, especially when 6-4 slasher Mike Edgely and 6-5 reserve Angelo Goss are included ."

and teams game plan to put small guys on him, sounds like this kid is a MAJOR Project

That means teams often put a player much closer to 6 feet on Hain, or they simply switch to zone defenses.

"It's usually a big advantage for us," Hain said. "The goal is to go out and try to intimidate teams."

plus based on reading how he plays, he sounds like Gordon Heyward

What sets Hain apart from Pelchen, a junior and a more traditional post player who is averaging 8.5 points a game, is his European style of play.

The shaggy-haired blond plays inside and out, shoots the three-pointer with ruthless efficiency and slashes to the basket. He even played guard for his AAU team, Florida Family, a club based in Fort Lauderdale.

http://pbgametime.com/news/twin-towers-bobby-hain-and-grant-pelchen-power-jupiters-boys-basketball-team/130551/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5IoqRCZicQ

i just cant get over how much taller he looks then almost everybody he plays and still cant get over 7 rebounds per game

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »
Ryan Weber was named second team All Marion County - on the surface might seem underwhelming, until you look at where several of these players have signed.  Note that first teamer RJ Hunter is going to Georgia State to play for his father, former IUPUI coach Ron Hunter.

http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/2012/03/12/north-centrals-johnson-named-marion-county-player-of-the-year/

The Marion County Coaches Association has voted for its All-County boys basketball teams. North Central senior Ronnie Johnson (Purdue), who won three county championships and a Class 4A state championship in his career, was voted as the Player of the Year. Mark James of Ben Davis was voted Coach of the Year after leading the Giants to an 18-7 record.

Here at the teams:

First team
Ronnie Johnson, North Central, sr. (Purdue) – Player of the Year
Jeremy Hollowell, Lawrence Central, sr. (Indiana)
Yogi Ferrell, Park Tudor, sr. (Indiana)
R.J. Hunter, Pike, sr. (Georgia State)
Devin Davis, Warren Central, jr. (Indiana)

Second team
Patrick Ingram, North Central, sr. (Iowa)
Tony Wills, Ben Davis, jr.
Ryan Weber, Roncalli, sr. (Youngstown State)
Kellon Thomas, Southport, sr. (Kent State)
Harry Wills, Ben Davis, sr.

Third team
Trevon Bluiett, Park Tudor, soph.
P.J. Thompson, Brebeuf Jesuit, soph.
Zavier Turner, Pike, jr.
Eron Harris, Lawrence North, sr. (West Virginia)
David Heckman, Roncalli, sr. (Lewis)

Honorable mention
Beech Grove – Zach Barkdull, Ronnie Dietz
Brebeuf Jesuit – Mike Lenz
Decatur Central – Anthony Savage
Franklin Central – Forrester Sims
Lawrence Central – Tyler Corley
Lawrence North – Basil Smotherman (Purdue commit)
Lutheran – JC Faubion
North Central – Darius Latham
Roncalli – Bradley Fey
Southport – Michael Ramey (Ball State)
Speedway – Justin Brent
Warren Central – Brent Calhoun (Detroit)

Coach of the Year – Mark James, Ben Davis

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 07:54:26 PM »
So on the all-star teams from ONE Indiana county we find six Big Ten recruits and another kid going to West Virginia.  Plus Georgia State, Kent, Ball State, Detroit, and us.  I was happy to get this kid before; I am delighted now.  There is no possibility that he could earn such high honors without being a D1 player.

Anyone want to bet that Mahoning and Trumbull counties have never sent six players to the Big Ten?  Forget about one class; I mean EVER.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 09:02:51 PM »
Wick - the amount of talent out here is amazing.  Marion County is Indianapolis.  This teams does not include the Indianapolis Public Schools and Catholic schools located within the old city limits of Indianapolis..  Broad Ripple senior Ron Patterson signed with Indiana, while Tech sophomore Trey Lyles is committed to Indiana.  Cathedral has one player signed with St. Louis, a junior committed to Indiana and one of the top freshmen point guards in the country. A couple of City players signed with Pat Knight at Lamar. 

I live north in Hamilton County.  Top 30 national player Gary Harris going to Michigan State, same team has a junior committed to Michigan and a senior deciding between Western Kentucky and Northern Illinois.  My "local" school has senior signed with Jacksonville.  Neighboring county has a Butler recruit (Kellen Dunham) who is probably the best shooter in the state.  County to the West of Indianapolis has a Notre Dame recruit.  County to the South has player going to IPFW.

Several of the honorable mention players on that list are sophomores who have quite a few offers.  Latham is going to be a big time football recruit - already offered by Notre Dame among others.

I hope Weber is our entry in to this area for recruiting.  The senior class this year is exceptional, but there are always good players here.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »
"Basil Smotherman" is the best hoops name I have heard since "Baskerville Holmes"
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 09:09:19 PM »
Every Horizon League team 1-5 above us is in some kind of torney (NIT, CBI or NCAA).  If we keep progressing and don't take too much of step backwards, maybe we could be considered for one of the tourneys is coming years.  Should help recruiting, even though you have to pay the CBI or CIT, (whatever they call it) to get in.  I'm just hoping we don't go backwards with the progress we made this season.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 10:40:40 PM »
"Basil Smotherman" is the best hoops name I have heard since "Baskerville Holmes"

Lecter - he is Jr.  Played for his Dad as frosh and soph.  Transferred to a larger school as a junior.