Author Topic: Player development  (Read 9981 times)

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Player development
« on: October 27, 2011, 07:57:15 PM »
Could anyone provide information as to upcoming players and how they are progressing.  How does the "scout team" stack up and is anyone watching their development.  Just looking into the future.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Player development
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 08:35:55 PM »
We will just have to wait and see.

YSU over the last 5 Heacock years and the first 2 of Wolford were certainly one of the "best" 16 teams in 1-AA.

The problem is they take only a 1-3 from our league. We lost to the Top seeds by 3-10 points most of those years. And yet the way it is set, teams like Robert Morris get in?

And then Robert Morris and similar lesser teams get their butts kicked in the first round.....

Please!!!!!

It's much like how a very good Ursuline team this year may miss out on the playoffs and another title, because they played a great schedule and lost a few games against state powers. But yet some farm team from Cleveland gets' in ahead of them because they go 10-0 playing nobodies.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 08:37:42 PM by Pizza »

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 09:16:48 PM »
and Ursuline playing in D-5 state playoffs is as big of a joke as a team such as Robert Morris getting into the playoffs.  Hopefully St. V's puts the final nail in their coffin so one of those farm school who play with home grown kids have a chance to win it.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 09:58:12 PM »
Thanks for the update on high school beat downs.  I know the Penguins are playing a lot of freshmen, but are there any not seeing action this year that could be impact players next year?

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 11:04:19 PM »
and Ursuline playing in D-5 state playoffs is as big of a joke as a team such as Robert Morris getting into the playoffs.  Hopefully St. V's puts the final nail in their coffin so one of those farm school who play with home grown kids have a chance to win it.

Mooney knocked out SVSM's best player (a QB) from what I've heard. They averaged 45 points a game before the Mooney beatdown. SVSM is averaging 8 points a game since.

Ursuline huge at home.....

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 01:26:13 PM »

YSU over the last 5 Heacock years and the first 2 of Wolford were certainly one of the "best" 16 teams in 1-AA.

The problem is they take only a 1-3 from our league. We lost to the Top seeds by 3-10 points most of those years. And yet the way it is set, teams like Robert Morris get in?

And then Robert Morris and similar lesser teams get their butts kicked in the first round.....

Please!!!!!

It's much like how a very good Ursuline team this year may miss out on the playoffs and another title, because they played a great schedule and lost a few games against state powers. But yet some farm team from Cleveland gets' in ahead of them because they go 10-0 playing nobodies.

what the hell are you takling about?
1st Ursuline struggled to beat even the lesser teams on the schedule
2nd what "farm team from Cleveland" went 10-0?
3rd why should Ursuline get in with a LOSING record? because they played a tough schedule LMFAO HAHAHAHAH
4th Ursuline is as close to a "Farm team" from any city can ever get
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:29:44 PM by YSUfan21 »

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »

Please!!!!!

what the hell are you takling about?
1st Ursuline struggled to beat even the lesser teams on the schedule
2nd what "farm team from Cleveland" went 10-0?
3rd why should Ursuline get in with a LOSING record? because they played a tough schedule LMFAO HAHAHAHAH
4th Ursuline is as close to a "Farm team" from any city can ever get

To answer your questions:

1) Ursuline played only 1 "lesser team" on their whole schedule, that being Cleve East Tech. I would hardly include Mooney and SVSM as "lesser teams.
2) Kirtland is the "farm team" I was refering to. I think they went 10-0. And if you've ever been to Kirtland.....it's a farm town.....lot's of horses and cows.
3) Ursuline shouldn't get in OR be left out because they had a losing record. The should or shouldn't get in because they have OR haven't EARNED enough computer points. (Ursuline is out BTW)
4) And no. Ursuline isn't a farm team. But most D5/D6 schools are.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 04:28:59 PM by Pizza »

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 07:34:47 PM »
i hope you dont mean Ursuline isnt a farm team as in they dont recruit kids because thats absolute BS. infact they technically HAVE to recruit kids because they dont have a "home school" district with Middle schools like Austintown or Boardman or canfield, so yes Ursuline 100% DOES recruit as does Mooney

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »
Would you people take this high school stuff over to the space that IAA Fan provides for non-YSU topics so that the rest of us do not have to endure this.

ScarletRook,

To answer your question, on his radio show last Monday Eric Wolford made the bold statement that Demon Hymes has a chance to be the best running back that he ever recruited (counting not just his two years here but also his time at FBS programs.)  Bob Hannon was surprised and gave Wolford the chance to refine his comments.  No, Wolford repeated them and stated that finding playing time for all our running backs would be difficult next season.  So, Hymes must head the list of promising redshirts.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 08:24:36 PM »
Thanks Wick - Good to hear!
YSU should have a good stable of RB's and Receivers for a couple of years.
Any thoughts on O & D linemen?

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 10:40:49 PM »
Would you people take this high school stuff over to the space that IAA Fan provides for non-YSU topics so that the rest of us do not have to endure this.

ScarletRook,

To answer your question, on his radio show last Monday Eric Wolford made the bold statement that Demon Hymes has a chance to be the best running back that he ever recruited (counting not just his two years here but also his time at FBS programs.)  Bob Hannon was surprised and gave Wolford the chance to refine his comments.  No, Wolford repeated them and stated that finding playing time for all our running backs would be difficult next season.  So, Hymes must head the list of promising redshirts.

So is the conversation like this..:

YSU: "hey Jamaine (Cook). You've been great for 3 years and saved my butt. But you are now a senior, and we have a R-Fr who's pretty close to you talent wise.......so see ya......thanks......I can give you Deonta's Tate phone number if you'd like?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:44:17 PM by Pizza »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 12:10:56 AM »
I think that with a new staff, more people are looking at the maturation of that staff ...than the players. Things like bad time-outs, starting back-ups untimely. Player losses as well. Also, there are a great number of issue with those playing at this point; so maybe we do not have time to concern ourselves with red-shirts at this point. This staff does not report scout players as the previous staffs had done.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 07:43:17 PM »
I appreciate the insight IAA.  Never quite thought of the focus that way.
It seems the coaching staff is progressing in those areas mentioned, but that is
a whole new topic that I will pass on for now.  Just want to enjoy this season.
I now live only two hours away so am able to return to the Ice Castle and am
relearning the Penguins.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 08:04:25 PM »
Eric is learning.............and you know what......he tells it like it is.   Some people don't like to hear what he says, but he is right and I think he is doing a good job