Author Topic: NCAA approves "full cost of attendance" benefits for athletes  (Read 8920 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
NCAA approves "full cost of attendance" benefits for athletes
« on: October 27, 2011, 02:45:26 PM »
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/october/di+board+of+directors+adopt+changes+to+academic+and+student-athlete+welfare

It is going to take someone a lot smarter than me to figure out exactly what this means for YSU.

Up to $2,000 additional over and above tuition, room, board, etc for athletes on full scholarship in "counting" sports - men's and women's basketball and football.   Can't tell what it means for FCS football where (I believe) up to 85 athletes can split 63 scholarships.

Clearly applies only for those on full scholarships.

Is it mandatory or optional?

If mandatory, where does YSU find the money?

If optional, does it put YSU at a recruiting disadvantage?

If optional, can it be given only to some athletes in some sports or is at an all or none situation?  Seems like a Title IX conflict if it isn't all or none?

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA approves "full cost of attendance" benefits for athletes
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 03:24:02 PM »
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/october/di+board+of+directors+adopt+changes+to+academic+and+student-athlete+welfare

It is going to take someone a lot smarter than me to figure out exactly what this means for YSU.

Up to $2,000 additional over and above tuition, room, board, etc for athletes on full scholarship in "counting" sports - men's and women's basketball and football.   Can't tell what it means for FCS football where (I believe) up to 85 athletes can split 63 scholarships.

Clearly applies only for those on full scholarships.

Is it mandatory or optional?

If mandatory, where does YSU find the money?

If optional, does it put YSU at a recruiting disadvantage?

If optional, can it be given only to some athletes in some sports or is at an all or none situation?  Seems like a Title IX conflict if it isn't all or none?

This is wrong >:(  They already get a full ride now $$ on top of that too.  Lou Holtz don't like it either  8)

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 04:33:52 PM »
Maybe they think it will cut down on the illegal action of boosters fb.

I of course got through college the hard way: grant, loans, and working.

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:28:04 PM »
Probably a step in the right direction. If the rules are the same as when I played, scholarship athletes are forbidden by the NCAA from working during the school year.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:34:11 PM »
There is currently no cap on the numbers that I know of Indy. Most I-AA scholarships are two parts ...cost of tuition ...room and board. A school that divides this way could have up to 126 on some form of athletic scholarship. There is no cap on academic or need-based scholarships ...which is how the PL (and the non-scholarship) and the black college programs survive. If I understand this correctly ..I-AA will never be the same, and where are our commissioners when all of this happens? This is designed to pull power away from the BCS, buy combining all DI teams together. Which is what they want.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:34:57 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »
Nova75-The last year I was FT student at YSU athletes were allowed to work on campus. Same as work study

Big D

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 10:54:01 AM »
This is wrong >:(  They already get a full ride now $$ on top of that too.  Lou Holtz don't like it either  8)

You really have no idea what you are talking about.  This is not only the right thing to do, but it should have been done years ago.  A full ride scholarship isn't really a full ride.  It covers tuition, a dorm room, books, 3 meals a day during the week, and $30 for food on the weekend.  That wasn't enough for a kid to attend college in today's world unless he has other means.

For example, say you sign a good recruit from florida that comes from a very poor family that cannot help him at all.  You want that kid going to his classes, all practices, and all off season workouts so that he can be the best player possible for your school.  He isn't going to be able to have a part time job and do all of those things.  How is he going to pay for:

--transportation to/from Florida just to get to school
--school supplies: a computer, flash drives, paper, notebooks, pens, pencils etc that aren't covered by that full ride scholarship.
--clothes for 4 years.  That kid is going to grow once you get him into your college weight room.  He is going to need to buy clothes to wear.  I wonder if that Florida kid even has a winter coat.
--food eaten outside of the dorm.  It's sad when a college student can't even order a pizza
--basic neccesities like toothpaste, soap, deodarrant, laundry detergent, etc
--healthcare.  The university only has a policy on the kid for sports related injuries.  If they get a common cold they have to go to a free clinic if their parent's don't have insurance and how are they going to pay for a med rx.

This new rule isn't about paying athletes.  It's about giving them basic neccesities we all take for granted.

Offline Dracula

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 06:41:22 PM »
Where are the parents & or guardians ? Some responsabilty falls on them ?

Big D

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 12:14:34 AM »
Where are the parents & or guardians ? Some responsabilty falls on them ?

Most parents/guardians help out but there are a lot of cases out there where these young adults are on their own.  If a kid comes from a foster home for example, the government stops providing money to his foster parents the day he turns 18.  Many foster parents are done with you at that point in time.   Once again, these are young adults who do not have a chance to work a part time job to help support themselves because of the time commitment they put into classes and practice. 

I have worked in OSUs, UDs, WSUs, and UCs athletic departments.  I cannot tell you how many times I have seen a kid who brings in thousands of dollars for a university not being able to go to the school's bookstore and be able to afford to buy their own jersey.   

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 03:06:54 PM »
Since I posted this, I read something that indicated the decision on whether to offer this is up to the individual conferences. 

Which leads to a few questions as it relates to YSU:

(1) - Has the Horizon League made a decision?  Big D - what are your thoughts?  Seems a few can afford, not sure about others.

(2) - With YSU football in MVFC, other sports in Horizon, what happens if one league decides to offer, the other does not? 

(3) - What if the MVC decides to offer, does it apply down to football?  Or are they really separate leagues?

Big D

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 03:25:24 PM »
(1) - Has the Horizon League made a decision?  Big D - what are your thoughts?  Seems a few can afford, not sure about others.

I think the HL has to offer it.  If we don't, every school that does offer it will use it against us in recruiting.   I think everyone in the HL can afford it.  The extra money we will be receiving from the NCAA from Butler's back to back run to the NC game should cover it for the next 6 years. 

Each school can decide on how they want to do this too.  You don't neccessarily have to give it to all athletes.  For example, you can make it need based only.  You could give it to everyone, but not the entire amount.  The NCAA said schools could give up to 2K a year.  You could give 1/2 that to each athlete if you wanted to.  At the end of the day, I think the smart schools are going to bite the bullet and offer it to all athletes so they don't put themselves at a recruiting disadvantage.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 03:07:01 PM »
Vindy article

http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/oct/31/new-ncaa-spending-rule-will-affect-ysu/

By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

Imagine you’re a Division I-caliber football player trying to decide between a full scholarship offer from Kent State or Youngstown State.

YSU offers you a chance to play sooner, and likely win more, at a school with comparable facilities and superior tradition.

Kent offers you a chance to play FBS football, and possibly make a few national TV appearances, at a school with a strong recent history of producing NFL players.

The Golden Flashes probably have the edge, but it’s at least close, right?

Now imagine that Kent can give you an extra $2,000.

“That would definitely help them,” said YSU quarterback Kurt Hess. “That would play a huge role in recruiting, along with all the other factors. You’d say, ‘OK, if I go here, I can get $2,000 along with everything else.’”

That could be the scenario soon facing the Penguins in wake of last week’s decision by the NCAA Division I Board of Directors to allow conferences to provide up to $2,000 in spending money to athletes, part of what the NCAA calls the “full cost of attendance.”

“We sit in a region where we compete against Mid-American Conference schools and if our conference [the Missouri Valley Football Conference] decides not to [pay the stipend], there’s another regional conference that could,” said YSU athletic director Ron Strollo. “It could definitely affect us.”

The stipend, part of several significant reforms approved last week, would also affect YSU in other sports, where it competes in the mid-major Horizon League — especially since the money must be spent equally on men’s and women’s sports to fulfill Title XI requirements.

Major conferences such as the Big Ten, SEC and Big 12 have the financial resources to supply athletes with the extra money, but since most Division I schools across the country lose money on athletics, the measure could stretch already tight budgets at smaller schools and create an even bigger division between the haves and have-nots.

“I don’t think this was enacted for our type of institutions,” said Strollo. “I think this is a reaction to the pressure that other schools are receiving.”

That pressure is being felt most at schools such as Ohio State, which is still reeling from the infamous “Tattoogate” scandal that cost Jim Tressel his job, and Miami (Fla.), which is facing serious NCAA sanctions after a booster admitted providing hundreds of thousands of dollars in improper benefits.

“As far as the $2,000, I think it’s probably a good move,” said YSU football coach Eric Wolford, who coached at Illinois of the Big Ten and South Carolina of the SEC in the three years before taking the YSU position. “Hopefully, it will curb some of the problems we’re seeing across the country with players doing things that the NCAA deems not legal. Specifically, selling things that are yours, like [jerseys] and those types of things.”

Wolford has spent most of his coaching career at the FBS level and played four years at Kansas State of the then-Big 8, where he remembers needing to work extra jobs to earn spending money.

“What happens is this — you go to college with a lot of kids that have more means than you,” said Wolford. “You want to take a girl to a movie or a nice place to eat or buy some nice jeans or a nice new laptop and you don’t necessarily have the resources.

“You can’t necessarily work a job during football, so where does that money come from? Some comes from financial aid but some kids send their whole financial aid home to their parents to pay for rent or their parents’ car insurance or cellphone. I hear it every week, so I’m for it [the stipend].”

In addition to the stipend, the NCAA also allowed schools to grant multiple-year scholarships (the one-year minimum is still in place) and raised the Academic Progress Rate cutline from 900 to 930 over the next four years. (YSU’s football team, for instance, had a 922 score in the most recent reported year, 2009-10. The Penguins were above 930 in four of the previous five years.)

Also, eligibility requirements increased from a 2.0 grade point average to 2.3 for incoming freshmen and 2.5 for junior college transfers.

“Honestly, there’s so many questions that need to be answered before we really figure out what happened,” said Strollo. “It’s supposed to be enacted in August, and we have scholarship offers out in the mail right now because there’s a November signing day for a lot of other sports.

“So, these questions need to be answered really quickly.”