Author Topic: YSU to the Big East??  (Read 18820 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU to the Big East??
« on: October 26, 2011, 08:52:14 AM »
They are going to be looking for 7 "only" football schools.  The Geographic's is right.  Recruiting would be better (more attractive) for big time recruits etc...

Thoughts?

8)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU to the Big East??
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:56:27 AM »
We can't afford it. People in Y-town won't pay $10 for a ticket. How will we be able to afford it?

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 09:00:05 AM »
they won't pay $10 to see St. Francis.....but I think they would to see Big East teams....and they would fill up the visitors side...

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »
they won't pay $10 to see St. Francis.....but I think they would to see Big East teams....and they would fill up the visitors side...
Another hurdle to think about is the 30k seat requirement for a 1BCS stadium.  Funds are always an issue especially with the economy. Where is the $$ going to come from to add onto Stambaugh?  You'd think in the long run with all the travel costs associated with heading to the Dakota's etc.. more butts in the seats at the Ice Castle and the TV revenue's from ESPN for Tues, Thursday night games it would make sense monetarily in the long run. 
 I'll miss the playoff's but in the MVFC if your not 1 or 2 you may not see the playoff's!!  :o

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:01:00 AM by ysubigred »

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 11:06:53 AM »
A few weeks ago we talked about delusional UW-Milwaukee fans thinking they had a chance to be part of the Big East for basketball.

You guys are worse than that thinking YSU could play Big East football. 

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 11:21:22 AM »
A few weeks ago we talked about delusional UW-Milwaukee fans thinking they had a chance to be part of the Big East for basketball.

You guys are worse than that thinking YSU could play Big East football.

Last time I checked the Big least isn't to stellar this year.  They are losing most of the "power" schools to the Big 12, SEC etc.. Cincy, Louisville, UCONN, Rutgers, S. FLA and Syracuse is all that's left add 7 new team like YSU we may not win but we'll be on TV more often than we'll be making the playoff's :) A 12 team Big East will be broken down into a east/west or north/south with a championship game.  6-5 get's a bowl game and win the BE gets a BCS game and millions of $$$.  Give YSU a few years with 80 scholly's and the chance to show case the facilities to recruits that want to be seen on TV on a national level I see nothing but upward and on ward!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:47:31 AM by ysubigred »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »
We can't even get people to join the Penguin Club.  How are we going to get the money year over year?  How?

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »
Most insane idea. Ever. Whatever bigred is smoking is obviously high-powered.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »
http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

Football expenditures

Rutgers $19.5 million
Connecticut $14.4 million
West Virginia $14.3 million
Louisville $12.2 million
South Florida $12.1 million
Cincinnati $11.6 million

total athletic expenditures

YSU - $11.9 million ($3.1 million on football)

YSU can't play financially at MAC levels, let alone this level.

Youngstown Warren = 110th largest television market (right there with Fort Wayne and Sioux Falls). I'm sure ESPN is falling all over itself to get that size TV market (where more people are O$U fans than YSU fans) in to the Big East.

YBR - you need to quit starting to tailgate on Wednesday morning.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:21:03 PM by ysuindy »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 01:00:51 PM »
http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/

Football expenditures

Rutgers $19.5 million
Connecticut $14.4 million
West Virginia $14.3 million
Louisville $12.2 million
South Florida $12.1 million
Cincinnati $11.6 million

total athletic expenditures

YSU - $11.9 million ($3.1 million on football)

YSU can't play financially at MAC levels, let alone this level.

Youngstown Warren = 110th largest television market (right there with Fort Wayne and Sioux Falls). I'm sure ESPN is falling all over itself to get that size TV market (where more people are O$U fans than YSU fans) in to the Big East.

YBR - you need to quit starting to tailgate on Wednesday morning.

Indy my man!!  The voice of reason  ;)  Just striking up a conversation with the masses.  fb

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 01:10:03 PM »
Everyone has hopes and dreams to move up and become more prominent and well-known on a national stage.  Timing is critical.  However, this is a highly transitional time period for many teams and conferences, and I like to entertain the ideas of moving a program forward.

However, all the moves at the FBS level are being made to make teams more and more money.  And I am not sure how many of the university presidents and AD's have really taken a clear look at what is happening in this ever changing landscape. But I don't think the number is very high and it is likely that many of these teams will lose out over time.  Boise State may be one of the only teams that is looking to move forward in a manner in which they don't grow too rapidly and lose out what they have gained over a period since the late 1980s when started their rise in 1-AA.

As for the "rebuilding" Big East...who else would they be building with? Other FCS schools?  It would give teams moving up the chance to get 6 wins in their first year, but will the BCS "X" out their automatic bid?

Is the MAC or Conference USA a good fit? Of course all of the teams in the MAC would make it easier for a fan to drive to the game but what do the other teams in these conferences think?  And we may have a chance to win the East division of Conference USA.  Would it make it tougher on recruiting for other schools or YSU?  Would Kent State or Akron really want us in? And the major question before any decision in the post mortgage fall-out...Can we afford it?

I like the idea of moving up and understand that we should be looking outside the MVFC for a transition as soon as practical, but right now may not be the right time to move up to FBS.  Unless we get an offer that we can not refuse.

Z

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »
Everyone has hopes and dreams to move up and become more prominent and well-known on a national stage.  Timing is critical.  However, this is a highly transitional time period for many teams and conferences, and I like to entertain the ideas of moving a program forward.

However, all the moves at the FBS level are being made to make teams more and more money.  And I am not sure how many of the university presidents and AD's have really taken a clear look at what is happening in this ever changing landscape. But I don't think the number is very high and it is likely that many of these teams will lose out over time.  Boise State may be one of the only teams that is looking to move forward in a manner in which they don't grow too rapidly and lose out what they have gained over a period since the late 1980s when started their rise in 1-AA.

As for the "rebuilding" Big East...who else would they be building with? Other FCS schools?  It would give teams moving up the chance to get 6 wins in their first year, but will the BCS "X" out their automatic bid?

Is the MAC or Conference USA a good fit? Of course all of the teams in the MAC would make it easier for a fan to drive to the game but what do the other teams in these conferences think?  And we may have a chance to win the East division of Conference USA.  Would it make it tougher on recruiting for other schools or YSU?  Would Kent State or Akron really want us in? And the major question before any decision in the post mortgage fall-out...Can we afford it?

I like the idea of moving up and understand that we should be looking outside the MVFC for a transition as soon as practical, but right now may not be the right time to move up to FBS.  Unless we get an offer that we can not refuse.

Z

I like it. ^^^ Another voice of reason  fb

Offline Henguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 02:06:51 PM »
Rutgers and UConn are trying to bail from the Big East. Doesn't leave much. Here in Delaware, Blue Hen fans for the most part want to stay FCS in the CAA rather than make any move. Best to wait til the dust settles. Bigger changes may be on the horizon.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 04:01:33 PM »
Most insane idea. Ever. Whatever bigred is smoking is obviously high-powered.

Ask Drac or Happy :)  I've got good stuff  :-*

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 04:06:08 PM »
We can't even get people to join the Penguin Club.  How are we going to get the money year over year?  How?

Maybe joining a higher profile conference with the possibility of bringing a traveling fan base to the ICE Castle would bring the fun back to the stadium and this excitement would overflow to the PC.   :)