Author Topic: How the D Stacks Up Statistically so Far  (Read 12366 times)

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: How the D Stacks Up Statistically so Far
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 08:57:07 AM »

i have never seen a great D shut down a prolific offense
wish other YSU fans would stop with this "great D wins championships" BS, it has yet to be proven

You display the arrogance of youth, and that is fine.  Young people have demonstrated that characteristic for thousands of years.  But here is a history lesson, whether you want it or not.  The Double Wing, the Single Wing, the T formation, the Winged T, the Wishbone, the I formation, the Veer, and now the Spread.  Each time a new formation became popular, defenses struggled to contain it and pundits predicted that this new offensive scheme was unstoppable.  Guess what.  Over time, defenses made their adjustments and contained each and every offensive scheme.  And in time, defenses will contain the spread.  College football has now entered its fourteenth decade.  In all that time, the best teams have won with dominating defenses.  You might get an occasional 41-39 "Big Game," but at the end of the season champions play the best defense....always.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 09:25:10 AM »
Whipper-snapper,

I hope you learned something about how important a defense is over the past weekend. Our highpowered offense was stiffled by a great defense, and at the end of the game their defense took the ball away from us. Our defense gave up 3 large pass plays that may have made the difference.

And if you watched the LSU vs Alabama game, the better offense lost to the better defense. 4 missed FG's and an INT cost Alabama. Defense and Special teams won it for LSU.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 11:19:19 AM »
Defense Still Wins Championships

No it doesnt
a great offense in this day in age always beats great defenses, especially when the basic D packages have been around for decades apon decades apon decades, while the offense is always changing which is why teams score more and more points as time goes on

Great Offense=Championship
Great D=Championship Contender, but will get dominated vs a top notch Offense

Tell that to any team that plays LSU or Alabama

You're playing too much Madden
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!