Author Topic: Stoops  (Read 13228 times)

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Stoops
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:58:36 PM »
i know its early in his college coaching career but he is struggling to learn the college game and we just cant afford him to keep coaching the DBs right now

our Pass D has to be bottom 20 in efficency, yards and TDs allowed

i know the D is young (about 90% of the 2 Deep is Freshman and Sophmores)and he just started coaching in college but theres no way we should be 3-3 right now

our offense has played well enough for us to be sitting pretty at 5-1 but im afraid we will finish with no more then 5 wins because we cant stop anybodys passing game

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Stoops
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »
ahem,........Stoops is coaching linebackers this year. Kravitz took over the secondary.

What we need is some patience and  1-2 more great recruiting classes.

But I agree, we better start winning some games or those recruiting classes will be harder to get.

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 11:11:45 PM »
ahem,........Stoops is coaching linebackers this year. Kravitz took over the secondary.

What we need is some patience and  1-2 more great recruiting classes.

But I agree, we better start winning some games or those recruiting classes will be harder to get.

Stoops recruited and coached the DBs last year

we only have 2 True freshman DBs getting significant PT so your kravitz *ahem* BS point is 100% irrelevent

what we need is stoops and kravitz gone since  neither can coach DBs

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 01:22:07 AM »
Hey Listen....respectfully......as I present this respectfully.

I'm way older than you. I've seen more football than you. But more than that, I have coached at the HS/College/ and USA Olympic Team Level. I'm not  bringing that up to impress you. I just say that, just so you may be able to understand my opinions on talent level. Both athletes and coaches.

So FWIW......IMHO......I believe we have better athletes this year. I believe this staff needs 4 years to prove themselves. And MOST importantly.......Coach Ron Stoops knows more football than half the USA Population).

The last census of USA "population"......about 330,000,000......

So, in other words, Coach Stoops is pretty smart.

Coach Wolf......needs 4 years. ANY COACH NEEDS 3-4 years.

JMO.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:33:02 AM by Pizza »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:56:27 AM »
I agree that Wolford still needs more time but he is going to have to make tough decisions as a head coach with his defensive staff.  His ass is held accountable once the dust settles so getting a better defensive staff that can prepare a team and make game day adjustments may save his job. 

Offline southbeach

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 10:46:42 AM »
According to Pizza 165,000,000 people know more about football than Coach Stoops!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »
The Stoops bashing is quite silly, and here is the reason.  He doesn't really run the linebackers, nor did he handle the secondary alone last season.  Buffano is the linebacker coach this year.  Stoops is listed as a linebacker coach but also as the Director of High School Relations.  That is his primary function.  He coached for about thirty years in high school as a successful defensive coordinator at Boardman and a very successful defensive coordinator at Cardinal Mooney.  He has extensive contacts among coaches in Ohio high schools, something that some members of Wolford's staff lack.  His primary job is to keep the lines of communication with Ohio coaches open, and that, quite frankly, is vital.  So if you must trash the defensive position coaches (and I might join you in that) focus on the right targets.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 07:27:06 PM »
The buck stops with EW, as already noted, it is his butt on the line.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 08:48:47 PM »
According to Pizza 165,000,000 people know more about football than Coach Stoops!

LOL  ;) Nice.

But trust me Coach Stoops is not the problem.

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 10:57:27 PM »
The buck stops with EW, as already noted, it is his butt on the line.

EWs job is far from on the line with the way the offense has played
but the AD does have to force him to make better hire's on the D side of the ball

Offline southbeach

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 01:51:34 PM »
Pizza I agree with you on the point you trying to make. Stoops is not the problem!

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 05:29:06 PM »
Pizza I agree with you on the point you trying to make. Stoops is not the problem!

Stoops 100% absolutley is a MAJOR Part of the problem
otherwise our D wouldnt be half as bad as it is

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 07:46:58 PM »

Stoops 100% absolutley is a MAJOR Part of the problem
otherwise our D wouldnt be half as bad as it is

We'll have to agree to disagree then.Stoops' main "gig" is HS relations. He teaches at Boardman during the day, then shows up for practice in the afternoon. All concerned knew this was the amount of time YSU could reasonably expect from him.

If there is any problem with Stoops' it's that he's not coaching enough (not full-time). He has tremendous football knowledge and can "convey" it.....he has proven that in his career. Boardman was at their best when he was there. Mooney won 2 state titles and had 4-5 appearances in the state title game during his tenure. His dad also coached Mooney to 4 other state titles. He's was watching films on defense when he 6 years old. He has access to Oklahoma's, Florida State's, Arizona's, and Nebraskas' coaching staff with a simple phone call. And has had that for the last 15 years.

He is not the problem.

I still say this staff needs another 2 years....and we need to support the recruiting efforts. As kids (potential recruits) read message boards. It would be nice if Wolford could have gone 8-3 this year. So our small effort wouldn't be necessary. But it appears there was some overconfidence.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 08:06:53 PM »
Stoops isn't the problem.. Are we serious on this!  All new guys playing kids that should have redshirted last year and the year before and we want all conference right out of the box..LOL Blaming Stoops...is ridiculous
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 07:33:22 AM »
Stoops isn't the problem.. Are we serious on this!  All new guys playing kids that should have redshirted last year and the year before and we want all conference right out of the box..LOL Blaming Stoops...is ridiculous

Great Post YG ...some common sense. I would add that we needed to work more with existing players (2 years ago) & system ...but Wolf chose to start over. So we have to accept the time it is going to take.

I would only have one piece of advice for coach W. Stop blaming your players. You are working with HS kids, not NFL veterans. You are not going to "find some guys" ...you have to make them. It is called coaching. We are good fans ...we just want to see progress. No matter how slight.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:34:15 AM by IAA Fan »