Author Topic: YSU v SDSU (Sat).postgame comments/post-mortum  (Read 17778 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: YSU v SDSU (Sat).postgame comments/post-mortum
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 11:47:06 AM »
Here is something I learned from coach Heacock ..a long time ago when he was still the DC. The game of football changed when they allowed teams to pass the ball in a forward direction. Now opposing football teams have two ways they can score against you. The only way that you can be consistently successful on defense is to shut down one of these two options ..the pass or the run.  This is known as a team's defensive "style". Although a good "swarming" defense can do both of these in a game, there still has to be a constant focus on one or the other.

1. Run-focused defense: a defense that stops the run is built from the front, to the back. Your most crucial point is up front; yet your secondary is "flying solo" so they need to be the best, while you front needs to bring pressure.

2. Pass-focused defense: a defense that stops the pass is built from the back to the front. Your most crucial point is in the secondary. There is an extra man in the back, and the  middle plays more coverage, which forces the opposing QB to run or throw it away.

Of course I am over-simplifying it above. However, right now our focus, or style, on defense is wrong for our conference. Our secondary is all speed, but no skills ...INT's, break-ups, tackles. Are we ever going to turn our heads to see where the ball is at? I mean there are some experienced receivers out there, and they are going to know that our CB's are watching only the eyes. In the middle, are our LB's ever going to be able to stop playing the line, and cover a slant-pass over the middle? Are our DE's ever going to be able to develop enough to read a QB and cover the run vs the pass?

I see a great deal of talk about more time. Yes, that is true ...we all need to remember that coach W must have his time. However, we lost an enormous number of starters 2-years ago (not to cry over spilled milk, but far more than we should have), now we are talking about how young they are this year once again. Now I am hearing he needs a couple more recruiting classes. We can go to any high-school in the country, and we are going to see the same thing ...high-school players. These guys need to become college players. These next classes should be for depth ...not for replacements. This is an indication to me that a system is still not in place. Although "Pride" is upset in his post (and with good reason in my mind), to me he is "spot-on" when he says that coach W better evaluate staff. Are we playing the right defense for the MVFC? Forget the Missouri Valley ...are we playing the right football for the Mahoning Valley?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 11:52:20 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 11:50:52 AM »
they just can't seem to come up with the big play at the right time while the opposition does 

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 11:53:21 AM »
Here is something I learned from coach Heacock ..a long time ago when he was still the DC. The game of football changed when they allowed teams to pass the ball in a forward direction. Now opposing football teams have two ways they can score against you. The only way that you can be consistently successful on defense is to shut down one of these two options ..the pass or the run.  This is known as a team's defensive "style". Although a good "swarming" defense can do both of these in a game, there still has to be a constant focus on one or the other.

1. Run-focused defense: a defense that stops the run is built from the front, to the back. Your most crucial point is up front; yet your secondary is "flying solo" so they need to be the best, while you front needs to bring pressure.

2. Pass-focused defense: a defense that stops the pass is built from the back to the front. Your most crucial point is in the secondary. There is an extra man in the back, and the  middle plays more coverage, which forces the opposing QB to run or throw it away.

Of course I am over-simplifying it above. However, right now our focus, or style, on defense is wrong for our conference. Our secondary is all speed, but no skills ...INT's, break-ups, tackles. Are we ever going to turn our heads to see where the ball is at? I mean there are some experienced receivers out there, and they are going to know that our CB's are watching only the eyes. In the middle, are our LB's ever going to be able to stop playing the line, and cover a slant-pass over the middle? Are our DE's ever going to be able to develop enough to read a QB and cover the run vs the pass?

I see a great deal of talk about more time. Yes, that is true ...we all need to remember that coach W must have his time. However, we lost an enormous number of starters 2-years ago (not to cry over spilled milk, but far more than we should have), now we are talking about how young they are this year once again. Now I am hearing he needs a couple more recruiting classes. We can go to any high-school in the country, and we are going to see the same thing ...high-school players. These guys need to become college players. These next classes should be for depth ...not for replacements. This is an indication to me that a system is still not in place. Although "Pride" is upset in his post (and with good reason in my mind), to me he is "spot-on" when he says that coach W better evaluate staff. Are we playing the right defense for the MVFC? Forget the Missouri Valley ...are we playing the right football for the Mahoning Valley?

no need to change the staff

if you keep changing the staff how will the kids be able to learn and pick and stick to a system?

we just need a new CBs and LBs coach who can teach these kids to cover

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 01:54:51 PM »
The Vindicator summed up Saturday's YSU game and season very well; "Youngstown State's playoff hopes died suddenly Saturday afternoon at their home at Stambaugh Stadium. They were five games old."
 >:( :o :-[

Well I guess it's time to think about basketball.  :-\

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 07:43:21 PM »
The Vindicator summed up Saturday's YSU game and season very well; "Youngstown State's playoff hopes died suddenly Saturday afternoon at their home at Stambaugh Stadium. They were five games old."

im not 100% sure our playoff hopes are over just yet, if we can win out, we should get in

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »
I had to calm down the last 24 hours before I even came to this site, man that game depressed the heck out of me. We had no right to lose that game.

First of all I really like to defer to the second half but at least we did get the ball and moved down for 7, BUT then we kick the ball out of bounds, give me a break. Then follow that up with 2 straight penalties giving them a 50 yard field before they run a play.

I counted 3 timeouts used for defense and none of them helped. 2 of them were early in the 2nd half and we sure could of used them later in the game.

Why can we not adjust and do something about the holes across the middle, I mean really.

3rd and long is just killing us on defense, almost seems automatic for the bad guys, I would rather have 3 and 1.

Once again I did not feel that the team was ready for the game and this was after 2 weeks. 3rd qtr we looked like a different team on "D". the other 3 were ugly.

Counted 2 times were our dback fell down on coverage.

I could not watch the replay, was that fumble call on the return a good or bad call?

Not enough pressure on the QB.

O seemed to be confused on play calling a couple of times, ran out of time at least once and rushed a couple of other times, no excuse for this!

The SDSU fans were a good bunch, kudos to them.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 08:45:52 PM »

Well thought out. Nice post.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 08:59:56 PM »
So true Guinpen on the time-outs, and thanks Pizza. How did you like that time out with 1:38 left in the first half. I mean SDSU had little chance to score on us ...maybe 3-points ...we were doing okay & they were on their own 12. It would have taken a big play to get even a field goal. So I expected to go into the locker room at 14-14 in short order. You know what everyone is thinking ...get a big stop ...hopefully a sack ...use your time-outs. Well when your opponent picks up 6-yards on first down, your not supposed to call the time out!! So SDSU uses the time out to gather plays and take the lead on us, all the while knowing they were getting the ball first in the second half.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
So true Guinpen on the time-outs, and thanks Pizza. How did you like that time out with 1:38 left in the first half. I mean SDSU had little chance to score on us ...maybe 3-points ...we were doing okay & they were on their own 12. It would have taken a big play to get even a field goal. So I expected to go into the locker room at 14-14 in short order. You know what everyone is thinking ...get a big stop ...hopefully a sack ...use your time-outs. Well when your opponent picks up 6-yards on first down, your not supposed to call the time out!! So SDSU uses the time out to gather plays and take the lead on us, all the while knowing they were getting the ball first in the second half.

Could not understand it, they use a running play, they make no attempt to stop the clock and we do.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 01:57:23 PM »
Did any of you guys watch the TV broadcast? I really liked what Giles had to say. He was direct in his criticisms, and also in his compliments. He really knows the game & basically tells you what he thinks will happen next. If it does not go that way he thought, he tells you that he was glad the team went that way, or that it should have been that way. I would like to see see him get another year under his belt, and maybe the radio spot. I would like to see him do some non-game YSU work as well. Help out on WYTV

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 08:00:33 PM »
Yea i kinda miss Hartzel on the radio...Muransky is too rah rah...I think Giles has potential though i watched the replay and he wasn't bad
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 09:27:14 AM »
Sadly this season is over unless we win out.  The O is figured out, Hess can't handle pressure in critical end of game situations and the D is still slow and soft.  2-8 yards after first contact on every tackle  :o I remember when YSU was known for toughness and resilience on D not sissy tactics. Coaching staff don't seem to have these guys ready to play 60 minutes every week so on and so on...............  :-X
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 09:29:26 AM by ysubigred »

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 11:03:13 AM »

im not 100% sure our playoff hopes are over just yet, if we can win out, we should get in

Yes 21 that is true.  And if Aunt Sally had balls she'd be Uncle Bob
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 11:09:40 AM »

Yes 21 that is true.  And if Aunt Sally had balls she'd be Uncle Bob

Why not uncle sully ??? Just saying............LOL good one by the way :)