Author Topic: Trib: Former Hubbard standout YSU’s top backup  (Read 2647 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Trib: Former Hubbard standout YSU’s top backup
« on: October 07, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
By Joe Catullo Jr. , Tribune Chronicle | TribToday.com

YOUNGSTOWN - Marc Kanetsky's most memorable moment in the sport he loves and plays also is his most heartbreaking.

Kanetsky's alma mater, Hubbard High School, was up against a tall order as they made a 94-minute trip to Mentor Lake Catholic, just east of Cleveland.

The OHSSA regional semifinal on Nov. 11, 2006, saw the Eagles down by nine in the fourth quarter.

Kanetsky, then a junior, scrambled away from danger and tossed a pass to his tight end at the Cougars' 15-yard line.

The receiver raced into the end zone for an apparent touchdown, but the ruling on the field is a fumble. Two plays later, Lake Catholic had quickly moved 80 yards for a momentum-seizing touchdown and an eventual 31-12 victory.

"He was about one or so yards in the end zone when he spun out and hit the ground," Kanetsky said. "It should have been a touchdown."

Kanetsky, who began playing football when he was 6, was born and raised in Hubbard. He followed in the footsteps of older brothers Matthew and Marty as a starting quarterback for the Eagles.

Jeff Bayuk coached Kanetsky in his first three years. Brian Hoffman replaced Bayuk in 2007, Kanetsky's senior season.

"Each coach had players that fit into their own system," Kanetsky said. "After coach Bayuk left, we weren't as traditionally big as we were, so it was kind of a good time because our skill set changed. Once my team came in, we were more of a spread team and more skilled than size."

Kanetsky threw for 2,288 yards and 25 touchdowns in the new spread offense. He set school records with 5,042 career-passing yards and 47 touchdowns. He earned awards such as the two-time Honorable-Mention Division III All-Ohio selection, WYTV Student-Athlete of the year and more.

Kanetsky also played baseball and basketball. The class valedictorian was a first-team all-conference selection in baseball and second-team all-conference in basketball.

After high school, Kanetsky said he wanted to play at Youngstown State University because it is home, but he found trouble along the way.

"The (high school) coaching change kind of hurt my recruiting," Kanetsky said. "I really didn't have a coach until midway in my junior year after coach Bayuk left, so it was kind of a tough spot."

In his freshman year at YSU he was never redshirted because the then placeholder was injured in the third game of the 2008 campaign, and Kanetsky had to fill the vacant spot despite never being a holder in high school.

"I enjoy holding it," Kanetsky said. "I have good hands. I was always a third baseman in baseball, so I was always took pride in it."

YSU coach Eric Wolford agreed with Kantesky.

"He's got great hands," Wolford said. "To be a holder you got to have great hands."

Kanetsky's proudest moment as a college quarterback came in 2009 at North Dakota State University, his first and only career start at quarterback.

"They fumbled the first play, we took over at midfield and we went right down, and I threw a touchdown," Kanetsky said. "It went to Donald Jones who plays for the Bills now. It's cool to see him have success on Sundays now."

When Wolford joined the Penguins in 2010, Kanetsky fought for the starting role against incoming freshman Kurt Hess. Wolford said it was a fight to the finish.

"Realistically, we decided as a staff to give Kurt the nod just because of his youth," Wolford said. "He's going to be with the program longer. We felt like Kanetsky did some things better and Kurt did some things better."

As a backup quarterback, Kanetsky must prepare and practice exactly like Hess. He said nobody knows the importance of a second-string quarterback until the unexpected happens.

"I've prepared just as much as Kurt, watched film with him, and meet and go over stuff with him," Kanetsky said. "Every play during practice, I'm seeing the same things he's seeing. I'm running the same play in my head. Once he comes off the field, I'm giving him feedback. We feed off of each other."

Kanetsky and Hess knew each other before they committed to YSU. They met at a quarterback camp in Toledo when they were in high school and were roommates.

"He's really helped me a lot just learning football and the college life," Hess said. "It's been great having him here and on the sidelines. He's one of the play callers, and he helps us out. He's kind of just a release sometimes to get away from coaches, my family and things like that."

Hess added that Kanetsky is a great competitor.

"He's always going to give everything he's got and we're both in the same light," Hess said. "We both want to see Youngstown succeed and both want to bring our team to the top. Marc's going to do whatever it takes to get us there, and I like that in him."

Wolford said it's great to have a guy like Kanetsky on the team and has no concerns in case Hess ever gets injured.

"He does a great job with our extra points and field goals," Wolford said. "There's been a lot of times where he saved the long snapper as far as being sure to handle the ball. He's a great kid and a great student of the game."

In his college career, Kanetsky is 7 of 16 for 65 yards and one touchdown. He has started every game since 2009 as the team's holder.