Author Topic: ILS Post-Game  (Read 5838 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
ILS Post-Game
« on: September 17, 2011, 07:59:22 PM »
Defense has issues. No offense in the second half. Exciting game though. ILS went conservative. They lost that game for themselves. I am not sure what to do on D, but we just need to play 4-quarters on O.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: ILS Post-Game
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:27:46 PM »
Just read the stats, we deserved to win.

Illinois St   
Youngstown St
1st Downs   19   26
3rd down efficiency
   7-14   7-12
4th down efficiency
   2-2   0-0
Total Yards   325   457
Passing   155   293
Comp-Att
   16-26   21-30
Yards per pass
   6.0   9.8
Rushing   170   164
Rushing Attempts
   38   39
Yards per rush
   4.5   4.2
Penalties   3-28   2-23
Turnovers   0   0
Fumbles lost
   0   0
Interceptions thrown
   0   0
Possession   30:28   29:32

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 08:33:33 PM »
Defense has issues. No offense in the second half. Exciting game though. ILS went conservative. They lost that game for themselves. I am not sure what to do on D, but we just need to play 4-quarters on O.

I posted this on another thread:

"We have been scoring 30-40 points a game for 2 years now. And it seems everyone else does too!

Is anyone other than me wondering about the defenses at the 1-aa level in our league?

Should we not spend every available scholarship next year on defense? We are loaded offensively with freshman and sophs.

30 - 40 points a game should win 9 out of 10 games in any league, at any level, at any time, in any year.

Or maybe I'm missing something.

Just wondering here.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:40:15 PM by Pizza »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 08:50:26 PM »
Our linebackers and secondary are very young.  Best thing to do is just try different combinations and find a cohesive unit.  In the fourth quarter we were playing plenty of kids with limited game experience: Cheaib, Rogers, and Tevin Williams at linebacker with Jimmy May and Garner in the secondary.  Obviously, we had tremendous difficulty defending those delay routes over the middle, but the defense held on the last three possessions.  I did not think that they could accomplish that.  Did any of you?

Here is the bottom line.  Does Illinois State have an explosive, high scoring offense?  If they do, 325 total yards and 27 points is acceptable. 

IAA Fan is certainly right when he states that our offense can not afford to take any quarters off. 

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 10:12:37 AM »
Good post Wick.

Dan and Pizza's first game?  The "D" did well against one of the best "O" teams we'll face all year.  It's a 60 Min game and thank goodness one of the units played 60.  The coach said it best after the game this Offense did not do it's job today and the young "D" gave us a "W". 

GooooGuins see you all in THute :)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 12:31:32 PM »
We will need to get better all around in order to have a shot at the conference title.  I enjoy watching the offense.  It can look like a well oiled machine at times.  It is really nice to watch us play without all of the penalties that we would have to endure in the past.

The coaching was a glaring difference between what I witnessed during the Ohio State Vs Miami game.  Someone hired Ray Finkel......I mean Luke Fickell.......and they looked inept in comparison to the level of execution the Penguins have displayed over the last 3 weeks.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:32:57 PM by penguinpower »

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 02:03:42 PM »
Heard a guy at church this morning say that every time they showed Luke on TV his facial expresion reminded him of Adam Sandler!! Shame I know what color gum he was chewing.  ;) Was not able to make it back to Ytown from Cbus, but was able to order season pass on the net....pretty cool! First half O looked OUTSTANDING!!!

GOOOOOOOO  QUINS!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 02:10:31 PM »
My wife thought he was Adam Sandler. ???