Author Topic: a win is a win  (Read 11901 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
a win is a win
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »
First of all, best of luck to Valpo the rest of the season.

We won and I do not believe anyone got hurt so it was a good day. Crowd was too small, weather was ok. Like the new net at the south end, it really bugged me how the old one sagged. Team looked good but next week will be a better gauge.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: a win is a win
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 11:50:03 AM »
I am still excited about the way that we competed at Michigan State, especially after the Spartans demolished a FBS team yesterday.  The Valpo game means nothing, except to the idiots in the NCAA who pretend that nonscholarship football belongs in FCS.  The Illinois State game is going to tell us a lot.  Their offense is probably the most explosive in the league.  Can we rush the passer?  Can we prevent backs from turning the corner?  Can the secondary hold up?  We should know the answers to those questions in seven days.  If this defense can hold opponents to 24 points per game (and I am confident that they can) we should score more than that on any FCS foe.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 09:37:58 PM »
the NCAA who pretend that nonscholarship football belongs in FCS.
I couldn't agree more with that.  I've attended roughly 150 YSU games, and I believe Valpo was the worst opponent I've seen.  The only one that may come close is the Central State team we played in 2008.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »
Did not realize that Valpo comes back again next year.

http://blogs.valpo.edu/football/

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »
Yep, that will really "pack 'em in." :P  We need to buy two home games, and if the Pioneer League is the best that we can do, so be it.  Going back to D2 games given bizarre NCAA policy would be suicidal.  I really hope that we can start to get two games per year against teams from the NEC conference.  As partial scholarship outfits, those teams can not play real money games like we can.  Also, certainly they harbor no illusions about making the playoffs as an at large selection, so losing to YSU won't hurt their playoff chances and should "toughen" them for their league competition.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 05:16:48 PM »
Besides Valpo again for 2012 what other non-conference games will we be playing.  I thought we were going to play Pitt again?   Does anyone know?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 06:11:13 PM »
Besides Valpo again for 2012 what other non-conference games will we be playing.  I thought we were going to play Pitt again?   Does anyone know?

I also heard Pitt, but then I heard we were bumped by Villanova, then Delaware. I know we have 2 more open at MSU. We had to take a late date in 2013 ...3rd week of the season. I do not like that. That is a 12-week season, so we will have a game on 8/30 & 9/6 ...Michigan State the following week on 9/14/2013

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:13:49 AM »
I don't recall where I read it or whether it was posted here or not - I apologize if I am bringing up something that was otherwise covered, but it had a quote from either the football coach or AD at Valpo indicating the Pioneer League is encouraging their members to play FCS teams from Automatic Qualifying (AQ) leagues in an attempt to boost the Pioneer's argument for an automatic bid.

Clearly Butler, Valpo, Dayton and Morehead State should be our targets there as those are bus rides, just like Pitt, Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan State have been our bus rides to BCS games.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »
We play Pitt next year and, as mentioned earlier, Mich St again in 2013. Talks are on with Illinois for 2014.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »
IP,

Do you know who we play for the third ooc game next season, along with Pitt and Valpo?

Indy,

I read that too someplace.  Just imagine.  The Pioneer League with an automatic bid into the playoffs. Isn't our esteemed MVFC commissioner still also the boss of the Pioneer League?  Can't you just see her explaining to a 7-4 MVFC team that they must miss the playoffs so that the champion of that junk league can participate.  Twilight zone. :o

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 05:00:45 PM »
IP,

Do you know who we play for the third ooc game next season, along with Pitt and Valpo?

Indy,

I read that too someplace.  Just imagine.  The Pioneer League with an automatic bid into the playoffs. Isn't our esteemed MVFC commissioner still also the boss of the Pioneer League?  Can't you just see her explaining to a 7-4 MVFC team that they must miss the playoffs so that the champion of that junk league can participate.  Twilight zone. :o

Yes, but we say the same thing about the Big South ...and Wofford barely beat Presbyterian. CCSU beat Furman, and Liberty put up 24-points on NC State (something we may not be able to do right now). You need to play the teams & let the reputations go up. Look how many years the A-10 played nothing OOC but those former "patsies" from the Patriot League. Yet they still received multiple bids. Now the Patriot has increased respectability.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 08:11:14 AM »
IP,

Indy,

Yes, but we say the same thing about the Big South ...and Wofford barely beat Presbyterian. CCSU beat Furman, and Liberty put up 24-points on NC State (something we may not be able to do right now). You need to play the teams & let the reputations go up. Look how many years the A-10 played nothing OOC but those former "patsies" from the Patriot League. Yet they still received multiple bids. Now the Patriot has increased respectability.

By the first two weeks performance of OOC's this conference will only get 2 bid's  :-[

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 10:25:03 AM »
IP,

Indy,

A lot of good points here. The play of Presby and CCSU actually gives me a lot of confidence. If they can play with these SoCo "powers" there's no reason we can't beat them. Parity seems to be the reality now. As much as I hate the blood games, both for and against, that's the landscape of college football now. If you win your confeence those games are meaningless. We shouldn't be penalized for playing the Valpo's of the world, pretty much everyone is doing it.

Offline Dracula

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 08:08:05 PM »
If you win the conference they can not keep you from the playoffs. Just win baby.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 09:27:05 PM »
IP,

Indy,

Wick---was informed the 3rd non-conference game next year is a home game with Albany. Looks like we might be playing Dayton in 2013 and at Illinois in 2014.