Author Topic: Early info on Valpo Football  (Read 7371 times)

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Early info on Valpo Football
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:01:27 PM »
From the Valpo Football page:

Valpo has lost 22 games in a row. Franklin, a 24th ranked Division III team,
defeated them last Saturday 49-35.

Game Notes: Franklin leads the all-time series 12-3 and has now won five
straight meetings … the 35 points scored by the Crusaders were the most
Valpo has tallied since at 47-14 victory at Campbell on Nov. 15, 2008 … Porter’s
interception was the first of his career and his first touchdown … Bryce LaMore
(Manteno, Ill./Bishop McNamara H.S.) also recorded his first collegiate pick … Valpo
was 2-for-2 on fourth down conversions and 3-of-3 scoring in the red zone

Valpo had a 14 point lead early but could not hold the lead.
Returning 6 starters on offense and 6 on defense.  A very young
team that appears to be able to score.  That being said, I don't see
why we should not hold them to a shutout.

The Crusaders totaled 463 yards of offense, including 394 through the air off
of the arm of redshirt freshman Eric Hoffman (Manitowoc, Wis./Lincoln H.S.),
who completed 27-of-42 passes including a touchdown in his collegiate debut.

2011-12 Valpo Football schedule

September 2011       Opponent                     Location                Time/Result
Sat, Sep 3             Franklin                            Brown Field            L 49-35
Sat, Sep 10             at Youngstown State    Youngstown, Ohio    3:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 17             at Duquesne                     Pittsburgh, Pa.    11:00 a.m.

Sat, Oct 1             Morehead State *             Brown Field             1:00 p.m.
Sat, Oct 8             San Diego *                     Brown Field             1:00 p.m.
Sat, Oct 15             at Butler *                     Indianapolis, Ind.    12:00 p.m.
Sat, Oct 22             at Drake *                     Des Moines, Iowa      1:00 p.m.
Sat, Oct 29             Dayton *                     Brown Field              1:00 p.m.

Sat, Nov 5             at Marist *                     Poughkeepsie, N.Y.  11:00 a.m.
Sat, Nov 12             Campbell *                     Brown Field               1:00 p.m.
Sat, Nov 19             at Davidson *                     Davidson, N.C.      12:00 p.m.
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline ELPENGUIN

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Early info on Valpo Football
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:40:07 PM »
Some more early thoughts from Valpo message board:

I watched the entire game on the BTN, and Youngstown wasn't out of that game until the 4th quarter. Youngstown even had opportunities to make it a closer game. A blocked extra point and a missed field goal cost them 4 points. Sparty also missed a field goal, so that sort of cancels itself.

Point of all this...YSU wasn't outmatched physically against MSU, I fear the same can't be said when Valpo plays Youngstown. I am truly concerned for the safety of the players.

I understand the concern and it isn't without merit based on what I also saw last night.  However, Valpo isn't without size and probably not just short fat kids.  The weight lifting program has no doubt impacted the muscle on our guys.  For example, on the offensive line we have Nate Blair, a 6'5" 305 lb. senior and on defensive we have Nico
Carson at 6'3" 275 lbs, also a senior.  At wide receiver we have guys like senior Sean McCarty at 6'5" 210 lbs and even the starting quarterback, Eric Hoffman is 6'3" 200 lbs.

My point is that they are more athletic and faster but not necessarily bigger.  With our new conditioning effort I would be surprised to see a bunch of injuries.  I played in a bunch of lopsided losses and injuries weren't necessarily part of the process.  Let's hope I'm right.
Post Season Basketball Results:

NAIA: 1938, 1943
CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011
NIT: 2003
NCAA: 1962, 1966, 1967, 1969, 1973, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004
Crusader65

View Profile

Re: Youngstown State - Valpo (9/10)
« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:17:09 PM »

The thing that I hope for is the effort.  Are the players prepared to go for four quarters regardless of outcome?  This team can score and has enough talent to stay on the field.  We used to play Indiana State and Ball State as conference games when I first came to Valpo.  Great mismatches with talent even back then but with our mental and physical effort we let them know they were in a game.  I guess Lou Holtz says it best - "When you're wrestling with a gorilla you don't stop when you get tired but only when the gorilla gets tired!"  Injuries shouldn't be a concern as long as clean play is promoted and monitored by coaches and referees.  Size doesn't always win but quickness and speed kills.  I hope we can match the quickness and speed portion or Katy bar the door.  Go VU!
"They have scalelike barbless feathers, flipperlike wings, and webbed feet and by the way also excellent athletic teams"

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 10:53:27 PM »
I give Valpo credit for wanting to play us, unlike that bunch of "kitty cats" from Dayton. Looking forward to the game and a good effort from both teams.

Still strikes me as crazy that we can get full credit for playing a struggling non-scholly team but nothing for playing D2 schools that are probably a better matchup. No knock on Valpo here folks.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 10:46:19 AM »
This will be an huge game for YSU.  We may score 70.  Hopefully we have 16 or 17,000 in attendance.  The real fun begins in week 3. 

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 01:33:02 PM »
I very much doubt if we will run up the score on Saturday.  We want to continue to play Pioneer League teams because, as guinpen noted, in the crazy world of the NCAA these actually count as real FCS wins.  I am thinking four or five touchdowns, with everyone on the roster who will not redshirt getting plenty of action.  But even as I write these words, I envision Michigan State pundits saying the exact same thing last week ;)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 05:56:17 PM »
I very much doubt if we will run up the score on Saturday.  We want to continue to play Pioneer League teams because, as guinpen noted, in the crazy world of the NCAA these actually count as real FCS wins.  I am thinking four or five touchdowns, with everyone on the roster who will not redshirt getting plenty of action.  But even as I write these words, I envision Michigan State pundits saying the exact same thing last week ;)

+1 - all parts of it.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »

+1 also
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 09:24:59 PM »
NCAA FB
Valpo pressing on in face of adversity
Reid Forgrave

Bio | Email

Reid Forgrave has worked for the Des Moines Register, the Cincinnati Enquirer and the Seattle Times. His work has been recognized by Associated Press Sports Editors, the Livingston Awards for Young Journalists, and the American Association of Sunday and Feature Editors.

Updated Sep 6, 2011 5:32 PM ET
VALPARAISO, Ind.

Sean McCarty hoists his 6-foot-6 frame up and over the chain-link fence enclosing Valparaiso University's football stadium, home of the worst team in Division I football.

The wide receiver walks past a field goal post that's slightly bent, past the empty sidelines, and sits in the front row of the bleachers, a new college football season just around the corner, a new semester having just begun, all of it filled with youth and innocence and the possibility of starting over.

Valpro Football

Outscored 514-100 last year, there's still an enduring spirit at Valpo.
Courtesy Valparaiso University

McCarty's eyes look toward the center of Brown Field, where a huge brown and gold Valparaiso Crusader logo is painted on the turf. Two groundskeepers are the only others in sight. In the stillness of morning, McCarty's mind goes back to mid-autumn the year before: the lowest point of a low season, the worst moment of his sporting life and the instant where he decided whether to return for a fifth year at Valpo and squeeze one more football season into his disappearing youth.

It was humiliating, McCarty recalls, that one game. Valpo's football team was already 0-6, struggling under a new head coach after winning only a single game the year before. Then Jacksonville University came to town, and everything went wrong. A punt was blocked and recovered in the end zone. An interception was returned for a touchdown, then another. Two and a half hours after opening kickoff, McCarty's team had lost, 86-7, and any optimism for a year that was supposed to be this struggling program's new beginning had vanished.

The team took a knee around their coach. Alumni and classmates had long since left the stands. McCarty's parents, who'd driven three hours to see their son's team get crushed, waited by the gate. The coach gave a short postgame pep talk, then players walked toward their locker room. McCarty could almost feel it: the moment when much of the team checked out.

McCarty lingered behind on the field that afternoon. He sat alone on top of the Crusader logo, and he wept.

Then he made his decision.

Yes, the 22-year-old would pay another $10,000 for one more fall semester's tuition and one more football season. He would return to a team that went 0-11 last year and finished 126th out of 126 teams in the FCS rankings. He wouldn't give up and put his love for football in the past. No. One more year, one more clean slate, one more chance to reinvent himself and this program.

TRIUMPH, TRADITION
& TURMOIL
A season-long look at the culture of college football.

"I couldn't finish with that," McCarty says. "I couldn't give up there. I wanted to work to see this program turn around. It was easier to give up and walk away, but there's nothing like it, being part of a football team. And going through such tough times and being able to come back from it, it sets you up for the real world."

And really, whether you're playing for a team that's 0-11 or 11-0, who wouldn't take it — that opportunity to extend your youth just a little bit longer?

"Someone is going to have to tell me I can't play football anymore," McCarty says, and a few hours later, he's back on the field, wearing pads, catching quick slants, one more shot to make it right.

But why?

What is it about college football that brought Sean McCarty back after that embarrassing and painful season? Why did McCarty tell Target, which offered him a full-time managerial position after a summer internship, he would start the job only after one more season for a team that was outscored 514-100 last year?

Why were head coach Dale Carlson and his assistants able to travel the country — to Florida, to California, to Texas — and recruit a new freshman class, convincing them to pay private school tuition and play for a non-scholarship team that hasn't tasted winning in nearly two years?

The answers can be found all around the leafy campus of Valparaiso University, in a small town just outside the orbits of Chicago and Indianapolis, a place known more for being the home of Orville Redenbacher and an annual popcorn festival than for college football. The answers, you will find, lead you in a very different direction than you'd expect: Not toward the multi-billion dollar business that is big-time college football. Not toward the turmoil of scandal and conference realignment that's ruled the college football universe the past year. Not toward anything that even has to do with football, really.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL 2011

Preview: The Week 2 matchups
    Week 1 scoreboard | Photos
    Video: Previews, clips and interviews
    Complete 2011 preview | Experts
    Latest updates: CFN | Scout| YB

Instead, at a time when the best college football programs are bringing out the worst parts of the sport, one of the worst programs in college football can show us what's still good about this game — about how it teaches perseverance and commitment and holding your head high, even in the toughest of times.

Go past the signature campus landmark, which is not a giant football stadium, but instead the beautiful, humbling Chapel of the Resurrection. Go past students lazily tossing a football on the campus green. Walk into the president's office, with its fireplace and leather chairs and airs of higher education.

"These are extraordinary embarrassments for higher education, certainly embarrassments to the sport," Valparaiso president Mark A. Heckler said, talking not about wins and losses, but about recent scandals at schools like Ohio State and Miami. "What really bugs me about where all of that is going is that there are plenty of places like us who are doing a completely different thing ... We're trying to build young people of character. When they stop playing football, they've got a lot more of their lives."

The president thinks back to the year before. Yes, 0-11 was difficult. Players got teased on campus, and the coach counseled them to have a tough skin. Players quit. Opponents ran up the score. But when the football team had its senior banquet after the season, Heckler marveled at the players' reactions. They didn't speak of impressive victories or game-winning touchdowns, but of more important things: teamwork, brotherhood, solidarity and turning a year of seeming failures into something else.

"These particular years with the football program are really valuable because they're trying to rise up from real adversity," he says. "The guys who stuck that out, who saw people come and saw people go, who saw those who couldn't grasp the change or weren't up to the task, the ones that went through all of that transition and got to the other side, that's what life is."

Losing 86-7 one day, facing classmates and another grueling practice the next — that's a lesson more powerful than any lesson on partial differential equations or the finer points of theology.

Valpro Football

Head coach Dale Carlson (right): "Our young guys, we've been honest with them. We've told them what we're trying to do, that we need a commitment from them. And they want to be part of turning this around."

More answers can be found inside the armory-like football building on the other end of campus. There, head coach Dale Carlson is drawing Xs and Os on a whiteboard, trying to figure out how his pass-happy spread offense can win their opener against a Division III team that beat Valpo 42-7 last year.

Carlson, you see, is an eternal optimist. He grew up on the north side of Chicago and attended hundreds of Cubs games as a kid, so he's well-versed in the hope that this year will be better than the last. Twice before, Carlson has started new football programs, at both a Division III and a Division II school. The Division II team, Carlson's most recent coaching position, began his tenure 1-15, but finished it 35-11, including an undefeated season.

His optimism was tested last year. A losing streak that currently stands at 20 games meant poisonous attitudes seeping into the locker room. Carlson counseled the team against joining the "fellowship of the miserable," but it didn't matter. Toward the end of last year, when the first thing went wrong during a game, you could feel a hopeless feeling take over the sidelines: Here we go again.

The season ended, and dozens of players who made up the Fellowship of the Miserable quit. Carlson didn't care. The 0-11 season was a test, and by quitting on teammates, those players failed.

"You gotta find a special kid to do that, who wants to be a part of rebuilding," Carlson says. "Our young guys, we've been honest with them. We've told them what we're trying to do, that we need a commitment from them. And they want to be part of turning this around."

At a place like Valpo, it's OK if that takes time. At places like Ohio State or Miami, though, winning — winning now — is paramount. And that, Carlson believes, explains a lot about the current state of tumult in college football.

"The problem with college athletics today is there's so much money at stake, so much pressure to win because of the money, that we've forgotten what we're here for," he says. "And, first and foremost, the reason the kids are here is to graduate."

But finally, down the street from Carlson's office, more than 100 young men are running pass routes and working out defensive schemes in the late summer sun. Here, all these high-minded platitudes — about how football builds strong young men of character, about how these non-scholarship athletes are here for the love of the game, about how college sports is really about academics — fall away, and a final truth is revealed ...

The Crusaders must win.

The young man who led the Football Championship Subdivision (previously known as Division I-AA) in punts per game last year booms punts. Carlson looms over a passing drill where garbage cans stand in for defenders. When the center snaps the ball over the quarterback's head twice in a row, Carlson screams at him and motions for a new center. Wide receivers drop ball after ball, and Carlson assigns 20 push-ups for each.

The Crusaders, it is clear, have a long way to go.

And yet …

"The attitude's a lot different from last year," says junior tight end Mike Gerton.

"You can see the potential as soon as you step on the practice field,” says junior running back Sterling Summerville. “This team is ready for a victory, and if ever a team needed a victory, this is one.”

“It's a privilege to play," says senior center Ferdy Velez. "Be happy to be on the field every day, because once these days are gone, these are the days you'll remember."

Valpro Football

Why did Bobby Wysocki (No. 8) return for another season, despite the adversity? "I just wanted to be a winner," he says.

That's why running back Bobby Wysocki decided he, like fellow fifth-year senior Sean McCarty, would come back. Friends didn't get it. Why come back for an 0-11 team? What's the point?

The point, he says, is going out on a high note.

"Instead of 11 games, it felt like 11 years," Wysocki said of last year. "In Week 10 of practice, you're still doing the same drills, and it's like, "What's the point anymore?" (But) football's my life. It means everything to me. I can't even imagine how the end of this season will be for me. I'll be a wreck."

For Wysocki, for the coach, for the university president, for a campus whose morale has fallen along with this team's struggles, this season comes with a simple goal: Win one game. Just to remember what it feels like.

Why did Bobby Wysocki return?

"I just wanted to be a winner," he says.

Francis Baker, Jr. takes a swig of breakfast — a small carton of chocolate milk — as he walks down his dorm stairs and heads to his first class in the new school year.

Baker is a soft-spoken sophomore linebacker, a civil engineering major from southern Maryland with a 3.2 GPA and polite manner of "sirs" and holding doors for ladies. He also has a determination to turn things around for his football team. He was excited a couple years ago when he got a recruiting call from Valparaiso coaches; the first thing he did was go to Google to figure out where Valparaiso was. When he boarded his first plane ever and flew to Valparaiso, he never expected the team would go winless his freshman year.

Francis Baker

"I'm looking forward to showing (the students) something that first game," sophomore LB Francis Baker says of the new season.
Reid Forgrave

This morning began earlier for Baker than for most anyone in his dorm. With a 6:20 a.m. alarm, with an hour-long weightlifting session, with a strength coach hollering over his shoulder, pushing him to work harder as teammates wiped sleep from their eyes.

Now, Baker cuts across the campus green near the Chapel of the Resurrection, which is decorated for this afternoon's opening convocation. Baker's socks become wet from the dewy grass, and his Air Jordan sandals are soon caked in grass clippings. He walks into his first class of the new school year, Calculus III, and sits in the front row.

"Losing is always hard," he says. "You come out here and practice every day, and to not see results, it's hard. It makes you feel, 'What have I been doing with all my time?' I go home and tell people I play football. They ask how we did. It's kind of embarrassing.

"But now there's new people on campus, and I'm sure they've heard how horrible the football team is," he continues. "I'm looking forward to showing them something that first game."

The class begins. Students ask about office hours and grading policies. There's that anxious newness in the air, the feeling that the script is not yet written for the upcoming year.

Not long from this moment — tomorrow night, in fact — Baker and his teammates will run onto Brown Field to play Franklin College, the Division III school that beat Valpo by 35 points last season. The lights will shine on the Crusader logo at mid-field. Thousands of fans and students will pay $10 for a ticket and fill these stands, aware of the team's struggles, but excited for the new year. The annual rituals of college football will begin again. The Crusaders will have a fresh start.

This is the moment Francis Baker thinks about when he sits in this classroom, listens to his professor and opens a fresh notebook. Nothing is written on these pages, not yet.