Author Topic: Pads for Day-3  (Read 4345 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Pads for Day-3
« on: August 09, 2011, 06:38:15 AM »
The Youngstown State football team added shoulder pads for the first time to its fall practice repertoire on Monday afternoon at Stambaugh Stadium. While practice started in the rain, the second half of the up-tempo workout was held under sunny skies.

YSU continued to work on individual drills and spent a bulk of the practice time on offense vs. defense situations. The offensive and defensive lines went toe-to-toe in the North end zone while the wide receivers, quarterback and tight ends took on the linebackers and secondary in 7-on-7 play.

The final 30 minutes featured combination work. Wide receiver Juilian Harrell and tight end Nate Adams had touchdown receptions while free safety Josh Garner intercepted a tipped pass. Senior wide receiver Andre Barboza had a great diving catch to highlight the other performances.

The final 10 plays of the scrimmage featured the top offense agianst the No. 1 defense and pitted the second-team units against each other. The defense won both sessions meaning the offense had to do sprints following the workout.

The Penguins return to the Stadium turf tomorrow for a workout at 4 p.m. in shoulder pads.

YSU opens the season on Friday, Sept. 2 at Michigan State. The contest will be televised on the Big Ten Network and carried on 570 WKBN AM.

Season and Individual Game Tickets for the 2011 season are now on sale through the YSU Athletic Ticket Office. For ticket information contact the YSU Athletic Ticket Office at (330) 941-1978.

Next 10 Practice Days

Tuesday, August 9 – 4 p.m.
Wednesday, August 10 – 4 p.m.
Thursday, August 11 – 4 p.m.
Friday, August 12 – 4 p.m.
Saturday, August 13 – 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Sunday, August 14 -- OFF
Monday, August 15 – 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Tuesday, August 16 – 10 a.m.
Wednesday, August 17 – 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Thursday, August 18 – 10 a.m.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Pads for Day-3
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:51:19 AM »
I am no coach, but I think we have to take two things from today:

1. We need to coach up more fundamentals.

2. This the first day in pads, and the first day outside (100 degrees and percent), the guys just need time to become acclimated.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:49:53 AM »
when is the Okie drill (hoot n holler), or did I miss it?
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:13:11 AM »
when is the Okie drill (hoot n holler), or did I miss it?

Good question. I would think it is this weekend. It is always on the first day of the full-contact period ...which is usually 5-7 days ...when they go to full pads. Last year they did "Oklahoma" as opposed to Hoot N Holler. Last year it was August 10th and the year prior it was August 2nd. I will find out & go up for pics if I have not missed it.