Author Topic: Interesting article  (Read 5619 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Interesting article
« on: August 07, 2011, 06:34:14 PM »
“I love it,” Williams said. “‘The U’ is ‘The U’ but they don’t have a locker room like Youngstown does. There’s no big indoor stadium.

“I ain’t downing ‘The U.’ I love it still. But Youngstown’s facilities are top-notch and the dorms are way better. And the overall lifestyle is more laid back and chill and that’s the kind of person I am.”

Those of you that say Strollo has done nothing ...think again.

Now let's just hope Williams knows he cannot 'chill' in class and on the field.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

A few weeks ago, linebacker Travis Williams decided to transfer from the University of Miami to Hampton (Va.) University, an FCS school 30 minutes away from his hometown of Norfolk.

His family urged him to reconsider. Williams’ brother, Wayne, was murdered last July, and his family felt it was best if he went away for college.

“I felt the same way,” he said. “I wanted to experience something different. I grew up all my life in Virginia so I knew it back and front and I just wanted to go somewhere that was different.”

Williams was a four-star recruit coming out of high school and was recruited to Miami by former coach Randy Shannon, who was fired in December. After redshirting last fall, Williams said he was starting during spring practice, but reportedly had a disagreement with new coach Al Golden that prompted him to leave the team. His suitemate, cornerback Devont’a Davis, also opted to leave and enrolled at YSU last month.

When Williams started looking elsewhere, YSU emerged as a viable alternative.

“‘The U’ was fine; there was just a situation that happened that I wasn’t too happy with and I just decided to leave,” he said. “I got full approval [on YSU] from my mother, my grandmother, my sisters, my uncle and my godfather [Lake Taylor coach Hank] Sawyer.

“I did my research [on YSU] and Devont’a was already up here and that was a very big part of my decision. Otherwise, I would have been coming to a strange town, not knowing nobody.”

Davis first met Williams in high school when they attended a spring practice together at Miami. They soon grew close.

“We’ve really got that bond,” Davis said. “Like we said at ‘The U,’ that brotherly love.

“Now it’s brotherly love north.”

Both said they’ve felt comfortable since arriving — “The coaches have shown me a lot of love since I got here and the players have welcomed me,” Davis said — and both said they feel like they’re attending a Division I school.

“I love it,” Williams said. “‘The U’ is ‘The U’ but they don’t have a locker room like Youngstown does. There’s no big indoor stadium.

“I ain’t downing ‘The U.’ I love it still. But Youngstown’s facilities are top-notch and the dorms are way better. And the overall lifestyle is more laid back and chill and that’s the kind of person I am.”

Williams (6-foot-3, 215 pounds) said he’s an intense player and prides himself on his tackling. (“I try not to miss too many,” he said, smiling.) He’ll compete for playing time on the deepest unit of YSU’s defense.

Davis (6-1, 175), meanwhile, should be in the mix immediately for the starting spot opposite sophomore Donald D’Alesio after senior cornerbacks Deionte Williams and Jamarious Boatwright suffered season-ending injuries during the spring and senior Randy Louis opted to forgo his final year of eligibility after graduating.

When asked what type of player he is, Davis said, “Expect big plays. I’m an impact player and I do what I’ve got to do, which is shut down one side of the field. That’s my job.”

It will take time for them to get acclimated — when asked about dealing with Youngstown’s winters, Williams laughed and said, “As long as my feet are warm, I should be good” — but there’s no denying their potential.

“I’m just expecting a great season and I’m looking forward to following my seniors,” Williams said. “Following those that lead well.”

Offline YSURON

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting article
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:24:08 PM »
Are you related to him or something? He is worthless and needs to go . Time to stop defending him. We are finally rid of the useless coach and got a coach that will turn this program around. Now to turn things completely around in the atheletic department Strollo needs to go. We could pretty much pick anyone up and it would be an improvement over Strollo, but we need to bring in the best.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »
Maybe so, but the point is that we have funded facilities ...and the players like what we have to offer. To be compared to a school in the ACC speaks highly for us.

Offline YSURON

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »
Big money donated to the Watts Center and would have done it for anyone in his position. Lot of other improvements came from the money games and anyone could have gotten the money games because the other teams want thost games. Just look at the failures in his coaching hires. I don't think he would be a good atheletic hire even on the high school level.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 06:59:49 PM »
Fully agree with YSURON.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 08:51:02 PM »
Great article..for a recruit to say that we have a better lockerroom and athletic facilities than Miami   thats big....Great Job Mr. Strollo Great Job!!! LOL!!!
A Penguin for life!!!